• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 fast bowlers in tests ATM?

Who are the 3 best fast bowlers today ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steyn, Asif & AN Other.

3rd best a bit of a crap shoot, tbh. Cases could be made for quite a few: Johnson, Bollinger, Morkel (M), Aamer, Zaheer & even Broad (yes, really).

Lean slightly towards DtR if batting isn't included as a tie-breaker. Steyn's quick and skiddy, Asif a canny fast/med seamer so Bolly's height, bounce and cack-handedness makes for a nice balance. In practice I'd probably go for Broad tho as the extra runs are always nice (even if his batting has retreated somewhat) and his bowling never goes quite as badly wrong as Johnson's occasionally does.

akilana

International 12th Man
Steyn, Asif and Johnson.. one can't argue against this.

My second attack would be

Bollinger, Ameer/Zaheer, Morkel

3rd

Broad, Hilfa, Ameer/Zaheer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Definitely not Aamer yet. Looks good, hasn't done a lot as yet though. Steyn, Asif and I'll go Bollinger. Third quick could be any one of several non-Aamer candidates. Not saying he won't deserve that spot soon, though.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Definitely not Aamer yet. Looks good, hasn't done a lot as yet though. Steyn, Asif and I'll go Bollinger. Third quick could be any one of several non-Aamer candidates. Not saying he won't deserve that spot soon, though.
Bollinger so far has taken easy wickets against weak batting sides of Pak & WI. Johnson is clearly the 3rd best fast bowler after Asif & Steyn.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steyn, Asif and Johnson.. one can't argue against this.

My second attack would be

Bollinger, Ameer/Zaheer, Morkel

3rd

Broad, Hilfa, Ameer/Zaheer
Would humbly suggest one can. Johnson more likely to serve up pus than any of the other candidates. Equally he can be unplayable too, but some would prefer a less mercurial bowler.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn and Asif as the top two.

I am a fan of Zaheer and this colours my thinking for the third.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he hasn't done too great - he impressed me in the NZ series last year. Been his fan since.

Here are the records for the past two years excluding minnows.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
Still done better than Johnson and playing in tougher fast bowling conditions ,i guess.

And if you rely on averages alone then Steyn,Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are the best.
Besides Pakistan and and perhaps West indies too batting wise are not much better than the so called minnows these days.

Btw,those record for yours are for the last year without excluding anyone.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
With Steyn and Asif the clear # 1 and 2 this thread proves that # 3 is very judgemental and about 4-5 names can claim the # 3 role.

At this very moment I would rate Johnson as the leader of the pack. He does bowl some horribly inconsistent stuff on a very consistent basis, but his ability to make wickets happen cannot be doubted. But, I would not be offended if someone else considers Bollinger, Zaheer, Morkel, Hilfenhaus, Broad, Roach or Aamer as their pick. It is a very tight contest that will vary on a series by series basis.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Still done better than Johnson and playing in tougher fast bowling conditions ,i guess.

And if you rely on averages alone then Steyn,Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are the best.
Besides Pakistan and and perhaps West indies too batting wise are not much better than the so called minnows these days.

Btw,those record for yours are for the last year without excluding anyone.
Thanks for catching that I have corrected/ edited the link now...cut and paste error etc.

I think the numbers don't do Zaheer justice - he is a better bowler than that. But I feel like I am just saying that as a fan - having trouble backing it up except for what I witness when I see him in action.

Corrected link

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for catching that I have corrected/ edited the link now...cut and paste error etc.

I think the numbers don't do Zaheer justice - he is a better bowler than that. But I feel like I am just saying that as a fan - having trouble backing it up except for what I witness when I see him in action.

Corrected link
agreed.

TumTum

Banned
Steyn, Asif and Johnson.

Right now ATM based purely on bowling, I would have Bollinger. But he hasn't done enough yet so even for an ATM criteria, you can't include him.