• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hyperbole regarding the future of cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
Test cricket is dying.

ODIs are dead.

Twenty20s are on the way out.

I CAN SEE EMPTY SEATS!!!

No cricketing superstars will ever be seen again.

RIP spin bowling.

Everything is in disarray, cricket is on its last legs.

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE FUTURE!

Test cricket is dying.

ODIs are dead.

I CAN SEE EMPTY SEATS!!!

RIP spin bowling.

ohh its true its damn true

i am already thinking

please see my posts

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Test cricket is dying.

ODIs are dead.

I CAN SEE EMPTY SEATS!!!

RIP spin bowling.

I have seen the future. The future is Papua New Guinean cricket.

Plzz consider this guy's O-face.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Keep that face in mind for future reference too - providing Bruce Campbell's wonderfully concise and appropriate suggestions are taken up by the ICC and BCCI, he'll be starring for PNG in the 2019 World Cup final against the canny Belize side - thats after defeating the favourites Malawi en route to the final.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Keep that face in mind for future reference too - providing Bruce Campbell's wonderfully concise and appropriate suggestions are taken up by the ICC and BCCI, he'll be starring for PNG in the 2019 World Cup final against the canny Belize side - thats after defeating the favourites Malawi en route to the final.
NOt to forget him being the star for Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2016... Which started it all for him and his team.. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I'm sure after signing a $4m a season contract he'll happily pass over $1m to a charity promoting the playing of Quidditch in Chinese schools...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i agree CW is the best and have said it may times but they should help a new poster to learn without just dismissing him
Bruce, and I'll be serious here for a second, there's no right and wrong way to go about posting on a forum, provided you're not abusive or setting out to deliberately annoy people.

And it seems obvious, if you're not taking the mickey, that you're passionate about cricket as a sport, and what you see as the impediments to its expansion.

The thing is though, when people disagree with your position or take an alternate view, it gets a bit frustrating when you kind of keep repeating the same points post after post, no matter how valid they may be in your eyes.

I mean, we all do it from time to time when people won't recognise what we see as the inherent truth in what we say - I'm the same when people deny the Murray Mints Conspiracy central to England's "win" in the 05 Ashes.

But unfortunately when we do that, we leave ourselves open to a bit of ridicule. It may not seem fair, but it happens.

So, what I reckon you should do is hang about here in Cricket Chat and kind of have a look at how people for the most part go about things (well sometimes anyway). Certainly you ought not feel in any way compelled to visit other parts of the site. Just hang about here in CC and you'll soon find things will settle down and you'll be right at home.

Last edited:
Bruce, and I'll be serious here for a second, there's no right and wrong way to go about posting on a forum, provided you're not abusive or setting out to deliberately annoy people.

And it seems obvious, if you're not taking the mickey, that you're passionate about cricket as a sport, and what you see as the impediments to its expansion.

The thing is though, when people disagree with your position or take an alternate view, it gets a bit frustrating when you kind of keep repeating the same points post after post, no matter how valid they may be in your eyes.

I mean, we all do it from time to time when people won't recognise what we see as the inherent truth in what we say - I'm the same when people deny the Murray Mints Conspiracy central to England's "win" in the 05 Ashes.

But unfortunately when we do that, we leave ourselves open to a bit of ridicule. It may not seem fair, but it happens.

So, what I reckon you should do is hang about here in Cricket Chat and kind of have a look at how people for the most part go about things (well sometimes anyway). Certainly you ought not fee in any way compelled to visit other parts of the site. Just hang about here in CC and you'll soon find things will settle down and you'll be right at home.

you or a moderator should have told me this a long time ago

but i have always given a valid reason for an alternate view

i should have got better replies

sorry for annoying anyone

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Harsh on saggers.
:laugh:

Anyways, back on track.

Why do cricket supporters so closely resemble the guy on the side of the street holding a sign with "The End is Nigh!" Fred and Zaremba could probably back me up on this but if you read any cricket books from decades or even centuries gone by there's always stuff about the future of the sport and how people are so worried, for reasons that seem unfounded and based purely on paranoia.

:laugh:

Anyways, back on track.

Why do cricket supporters so closely resemble the guy on the side of the street holding a sign with "The End is Nigh!" Fred and Zaremba could probably back me up on this but if you read any cricket books from decades or even centuries gone by there's always stuff about the future of the sport and how people are so worried, for reasons that seem unfounded and based purely on paranoia.
what do you say about empty stadiums??

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yech, what a trainwreck. I've deleted a load of crap in here in an attempt to get the discussion back on track (see Pasag's post..). Any further OT posts will be deleted.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you or a moderator should have told me this a long time ago

but i have always given a valid reason for an alternate view

i should have got better replies

sorry for annoying anyone
Well maybe that's so, to be fair.,

But, to use an analogy from my own work. I was appearing before a judge one time, and I made a point to him, which he disagred with. Then I made a second point, which he disagreed with. Then I made a third point, and he said

"Mr Burge.. you made this point, but that can't be right because of this case.

Then you made that point, which can't be right because of that case.

I don't think you get anywhere with your third point, which is joining the other two together..

We've all done it, but it doesn't work".

Edit: posted before I saw Clapo's post

Well maybe that's so, to be fair.,

But, to use an analogy from my own work. I was appearing before a judge one time, and I made a point to him, which he disagred with. Then I made a second point, which he disagreed with. Then I made a third point, and he said

"Mr Burge.. you made this point, but that can't be right because of this case.

Then you made that point, which can't be right because of that case.

I don't think you get anywhere with your third point, which is joining the other two together..

We've all done it, but it doesn't work".

Edit: posted before I saw Clapo's post
may be bcoz of my wishful thinking okkk thanks

see my new post

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hey Bruce, if you sincere then I'm sorry for a couple of my comments - I assumed you were trying to wind us up and responded in kind. Shall we give each other clean slates?

Regarding why do cricket fans (over)react, I'd say that it's because a few decades of tinkering and format changes in the pursuit of popularity have sold many of us, to some degree, on the idea that the core product is unattractive and unviable. The administrators often seem to dislike the elements of the game that frustrate it's spread and popularity. There is not, from the establishment itself, the attitude that "this is our sport, we love it warts and all so hop on or jog off" that more self assured sports have. That lack of conviction a) leads to fiddling with formats etc and b) percolates through to the fans.

DingDong

State Captain
good to c u guys working ur problems out.
also, can we please get a 'cricket development' sub forum? i'd hate to see bruce get banned again

Hey Bruce, if you sincere then I'm sorry for a couple of my comments - I assumed you were trying to wind us up and responded in kind. Shall we give each other clean slates?

Regarding why do cricket fans (over)react, I'd say that it's because a few decades of tinkering and format changes in the pursuit of popularity have sold many of us, to some degree, on the idea that the core product is unattractive and unviable. The administrators often seem to dislike the elements of the game that frustrate it's spread and popularity. There is not, from the establishment itself, the attitude that "this is our sport, we love it warts and all so hop on or jog off" that more self assured sports have. That lack of conviction a) leads to fiddling with formats etc and b) percolates through to the fans.

Yeah give clean slates

The reasons why i post all these threads are :

1. I hate to see empty stadiums in most of the cricket matches.

2. I hate to see so much concentration of money of BCCI alone and politics rule cricket.

3. I hate to watch a 50 overs ODI match for 8 hours.

4. I hate the overkill of T20.

5. I hate to see Test matches/FCs (eg. Ranji Trophy) get no importance comparing to IPL.

6. I hate to see no new nations becoming a success and beat the old ones regularly.

7. I am bored of watching the same old 8 teams play each other.

8. I hate to see that none of the associate tourneys gets popularity world over.

9. I hate that the BCCI despite all its huge money not helping the lesser nations and ICC just keeping quiet.

10. I hate that the players of lesser nations does not even get a full time contract whereas the annual income of Dhoni is around Rs 50 crores.

11. I hate that womens cricket doesnt get any marketing.

12. I liked those old days of cricket eg. Sharjah Cup,Titan Cup,CB Series,Toronto Cup,Ranji,Tests etc. where there was a consistency.The tourney i last enjoyed watching may be the 2003 WC.The last WT20 being that of 2007.

Thats it.:@

Do you have answers ???

Last edited: