• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hyperbole regarding the future of cricket.

good to c u guys working ur problems out.
also, can we please get a 'cricket development' sub forum? i'd hate to see bruce get banned again
there can be such a sub forum but most of the viewers are here in CC

i was banned bcoz of a misunderstanding on multis

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
:laugh:

Anyways, back on track.

Why do cricket supporters so closely resemble the guy on the side of the street holding a sign with "The End is Nigh!" Fred and Zaremba could probably back me up on this but if you read any cricket books from decades or even centuries gone by there's always stuff about the future of the sport and how people are so worried, for reasons that seem unfounded and based purely on paranoia.
IIRC, wasn't that why one day cricket was invented in the first place, to stop cricket from 'dying' and to bring in more money?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh dear Bruce. I share some of your concerns, disagree with others, but without wanting to discourage you don't think that it's likely the problems you cite can or will be resolved.

Lots of people are over 50 over cricket. I still enjoy it most of the time although there are too many matches and hence it all blurs a bit - to my mind oversaturation is the problem, not the format. The only mechanism available to you to encourage its demise is to stop watching, if enough people tune out it will disappear. That will also solve your personal problem of not enjoying watching it.

I think the T20 will find a happy medium - at the moment the t20 WCs are too frequent, but I think that will change as the initial craze is replaced with a more normal pattern.

Expansion and then preponderance of India's tv market in financial terms are the hardest issues you list. There are no solutions to the fact that cricket is a hard sell to those not familiar with it, and that most countries have too much competition already or else lack the resources to support the sport at an international level. It sucks in a sense but any money thrown at getting most associates will be money thrown away.

As people have pointed out repeatedly, the BCCI has no real reason to give away money to associates. There's absolutely no likelihood of the leadership of the board deciding it does, so discussion about it is always going to be a pure fantasy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh:

Anyways, back on track.

Why do cricket supporters so closely resemble the guy on the side of the street holding a sign with "The End is Nigh!" Fred and Zaremba could probably back me up on this but if you read any cricket books from decades or even centuries gone by there's always stuff about the future of the sport and how people are so worried, for reasons that seem unfounded and based purely on paranoia.
perhaps because it only really exists in so few countries to start with..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Introductions thread in OT. Someone pointed out, incorrectly now that I actually check, that 'Bruce Campbell' is an anagram of Precambrian. Plus he appeared after Sir Alex was banned.

I don't know, but I did mean my apology and offer of a clean slate so the idea that it was still a wind up by Precam was sorta annoying.

Anyway, sorry for going OT again, but having raised the issue thought I better explain myself. Won't say anything further on the matter.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
All we need is some new nations coming into the world stage.....Nations Like USA can bring some excitement in cricket...But they must be at international standards atleast....:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's about 17 blokes there lining up for a crack at that bird.

Like a State of Origin bonding session.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Posted this in another thread and realized it's slightly off-topic so,

Regarding the supposed death of Test Cricket, fast bowling, result-oriented cricket and everything even minutely wrong with cricket atm, I think what we, as fans, are doing is, to use the analogy of cricket as a patient, diagnosing throat cancer where there is a minor throat infection.

IMHO, Test cricket is just suffering from a minor hiccup and will recover very soon. All the proposed changes like, bringing in over 9000 countries, starting a Test knockout championship, suggesting, rather ridiculously I must add, that a certain cricket board must pay for aforementioned activities is like treating the hypothetical common cold with radiation therapy.

To further add to this, most people here have grown up during the decades of the 1980s and 1990s where there were an insane harvest of fast bowlers where we were pampered for choice. To compare to more 'normal' decades.. Lillee, Willis and Roberts in the 70s, Tureman, Pollock(of Peter), Davidson in the 60s and wait, McGrath,Pollock(of Shaun), Steyn, Asif and Bond in the 00s!

I'm all for positive changes in test cricket. By all means, Get the D/N concept into test cricket, Maybe even get coloured jerseys/jerseys with player names if the common man sees it fit. However, overly radical changes only serve to ironically 'kill' the test cricket we all have grown to admire and love, IMHO.

P.S.:-I only have to wonder if say, ten or twenty years, down the lane, people will worry about the death of batsman-ship because they were pampered by so many classy batsmen in this era and going back to an era where only 2-3 batsmen in the world average over 50.