Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Which ODI team do you think is best?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Himannv

1 5.26%
  • Cevno

1 5.26%
  • G.I.Joe

3 15.79%
  • Noble One

3 15.79%
  • weldone

2 10.53%
  • honestbharani

2 10.53%
  • Blakus

1 5.26%
  • Pothas

4 21.05%
  • Pskov

1 5.26%
  • Somerset

1 5.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auction draft II - ODI voting thread

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Marc's ratings part 5 - pace bowling

The first bowling category I'm going to look at is the strength of team's pace attacks. From best to worst I rank them as follows:

Pothas - As if it wouldn't be bad enough with Holding, McGrath and Bond coming at you, having Botham at 2nd change makes this pace attack formidable.

Pskov - 2 greats of the 80s added to the best left-arm quick in ODI history - this lot would be tricky to face.

Noble One - 5 front-line seamers to choose from, so quantity makes up for a slight lack in quality from Klusener and Harvey.

B]honestbharani[/B] - Another 4-prong attack which would work well together, and allow Waqar the chance be used when most useful.

weldone - Only 3 seamers here, and the consistency of Vaas does slightly detract from the sheer class of Ambrose and Pollock.

Cevno - Another 3 man seam team, loses out to weldone because the 3 are all behind weldone's top 2.

Himannv - Suffers from the same problem as weldone, with Mathews as 1st change.

Blakus - The back-up of Agarkar and Kallis makes this a solid quartet, albeit not spectacular enough to be higher up.

G.I.Joe - Unlike Noble One's 5 men, G.I.Joe suffers from a relative lack of star quality, only Lee really being able to compete with the best.

Somerset - Even assuming Sobers is the 3rd seamer, this side is weaker than the rest for me.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Marc's ratings part 6 - spin bowling

Next in line is the quality of spinners, from best to worst I rank them as follows:

Somerset - A 3 prong attack spearheaded by Warne and containing the relatively unreadable Mendis is the strongest spin team for me.

Himannv - The only other team with more than 1 frontline spinner, and with Murali backed up by a more than capable Shakib, that puts this team as next best for me.

Pskov - As we're now comparing single spinners I had to rank them directly - Saqlain's formidable record puts him 3rd.

Cevno - Qadir strikes me as more of a wicket-taking bowler than a container, and I prefer that sort of bowler.

weldone - Kumble falls down for his relative lack of wickets, hence in the middle of the pack for me.

Noble One - If treated as what he should be thought of, Afridi would probably get more respect from the general cricket public. His batting seems to stop that happening though.

Pothas - Hogg was surprisingly effective for one reason or another, more than likely owing to the team he played in.

Blakus - The cult of Swanneh isn't enough for him to seriously challenge others in this draft, yet.

honestbharani - Price doesn't concede many runs, but then again he doesn't get many wickets.

G.I.Joe - In the absence of any other realistic options, I've called Harris a spinner, and also the worst one almost by default.

Afridi a better ODI bowler than Hogg?

I am obviously biased but not sure I agree.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Afridi a better ODI bowler than Hogg?

I am obviously biased but not sure I agree.
    Me too.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Next in line is the quality of spinners, from best to worst I rank them as follows:

Somerset - A 3 prong attack spearheaded by Warne and containing the relatively unreadable Mendis is the strongest spin team for me.
    Pleased to see my side's strongest point reflected upon in Marc's ratings.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Pleased to see my side's strongest point reflected upon in Marc's ratings.
    Mendis is so found out..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    G.I.Joe - In the absence of any other realistic options, I've called Harris a spinner, and also the worst one almost by default.
    Say wot!?? I have no problems being ranked last in the category, expected it too. But Harris isn't my spinner - Richards/Sehwag/Waugh are!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Not in my eyes - they're ranked in the next category, the back-up bowlers.

Marc's ratings part 7 - back-up bowling

These are the one's you wouldn't be expecting to bowl 10 overs every game. From best to worst, I rank them as follows:

Cevno - 4 different options here, spearheaded by Chris Gayle and the in my mind under-rated Gregg Chappell.

Himannv - Another one with 4 options, would be particularly handy on turning wickets here.

G.I.Joe - Waugh can bowl a bit of seam-up or off spin, and Sehwag and especially Richards add more under-rated spin.

Pskov - Kemp is almost a front-line bowler, and Symonds variety adds to the options here.

weldone - Jayasuriya and Waugh could arguably be higher up the list, but for me Waugh didn't bowl enough in the majority of his career.

Blakus - Only really Hooper is a part-time bowler, but his off-spin was quite a consistent weapon when other things had been tried and didn't work.

Noble One - As a seam bowler, I possibly don't rate Ganguly very high because of having to bowl so much in the sub-continent. Smith just doesn't seem to bowl, which is a bit of a surprise for me.

honestbharani - Getting into the realms of the weak here, and it's only because of the number of options that I put this one above the bottom 2, although in truth Ponting, Chanderpaul and Hussey wouldn't worry any top batsman (or for that matter many tailenders)

Pothas - See the above comments for Trescothick and Yuvraj.

Somerset - For the 2nd time, Somerset gets a last place because of Michael Vaughan.

Ignoring Tikolo?

Anyway who needs lesser bowlers when you have 5 great frontline ones.

Marc's ratings part 8 - wicket-keeping

This is quite a tricky one to split to be honest, so my order may not agree to others but if we all agreed it would be boring! From highest to lowest:

Pothas - Gilchrist
    Blakus - Dhoni
    Noble One - McCullum
    weldone - Boucher
    Cevno - Haddin
    Himannv - Kaluwitherana
    Pskov - Stewart
    Somerset - Flower
    honestbharani - de Villiers
    G.I.Joe - Dravid

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Hmm interesting. Thought I might score a bit higher on this category. Out of curiosity, where would you have placed Sangakkara?

Probably about the same. This and the next one were very hard to split out once I'd put the part-timers at the bottom.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Not trying to disrespect Pothas at all, but I find it pretty silly that his side is comfortably number one. For mine his batting line-up is really weak.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    voted for GI.... batting > bowling in ODI's in most matches
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information