• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Craig's method to improve County Cricket

Craig

World Traveller
My method for County Cricket:

Since in County Cricket we have two divisions, I suggest a 3rd division for "minor counties" like Devon, Linconshire etc. play each other with all the UCCE's (Oxford, Cambridge, Leeds/Bradford etc.) with one of the "major counties" who comes last in the second division to get reglated to the third division with the winner of the third division to get promoted into the 2nd divison.

All matches in the third division will be counted as first-class. The reasoning? To give those counties in the second division a good wake up call that you dont want to get reglated as it would be the ultimate embrassment to the county. It is like getting relgated third division to the confence division in football or soccer (depends on what you call it).

The hopefull result is to make county cricket more competitive and hopefully raise the standard of it and weed those not interested in it out.

Could this work?

hourn

U19 Cricketer
as I've said thousands of time, the best bet is to reduce the amount of FC players around, by reducing the teams to 12 counties. and reduce the amount of games.

You guys just need to get rid of these guys who pick up 300-400 FC wickets, play FC coutnry cricket for 7 or 8 years, and just never even look like they will be selected for England.

There are a few that get through the system in Australia, but for every one guy like that in Ausland, theres about 5 in England.

It's not about giving everyone a go, and making it easy to get paid to play cricket. Guys need to work to get to that level, than they need to know that they just can't "flounder" in the system for a decade or more.

The government doesn't give out a license to perform surgery to everyone because they want everyone to become surgeon's.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think the standard is rising, as has been shown by Englands youngsters coming through in more recent times. I think from watching domestic cricket this summer that the standard is higher than previously also.

But there have been so many changes in the last 4-5 years, we need to slow down and take stock. It's hard to assess what affect all the changes have if you keep making more changes.

Like I say 5 years ago this was a valid topic, but since then we've had two divisions in both the championship and national league (which has gone to 45 overs), we've scrapped the B&H, brought in Twenty20, then there are central contracts, Scotland playing in the National League........

I think Michael Vaughan's recent outburst was a real cop-out when he was getting flak for England losing, and I think Worcestershire's chairman agrees with me! :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
County Cricket's biggest problem is the ammount of overseas "EU National" players taking up the places of English players. But since we are part of the EU we are not allowed to prevent an EU National from making a career here, weather it be in buisness or in professional sports. Pitches need to be sorted but over here we have the one thing we can't get rid of, the weather.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Pitches need to be sorted but over here we have the one thing we can't get rid of, the weather.

And the lack of sporting culture in the first place, too many cricket watchers rather than players in general.. Im not happy with the EU situation either.. I dont think guys like Nick Pothas are going to do the English game any good in all honesty...

I think the current setup with the divisions works fine, but only two up and two down thank you...

Bit more publicity would be nice, but you cant create that, its just a product of something being popular

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
This thread comes out once per year and the same arguments are trotted out. My problem with county cricket is that quantity doesn't equal quality. The number of games needs to be decreased some how so that good coaching can be done in between games.

the current system allows players to essentially do their practice in games. If they get out they can come again in a couple of days and get another shot.

Certainly the academy that has recently started should be given time to produce some quality players and is a great step for English cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd rather see four regional sixes with Devon, Lincolnshire, Scotland, Holland, Denmark and Ireland in the mix. This would cut out the problem of too many games - 12 less - and provide scope for regional level competition at the end of the season as a step between Tests and County games.

"Reducing the teams to 12 counties"

So, which ones are you going to cut? That's easy to say as an Australian with no understanding of the county loyalities in the English system.

Craig

World Traveller
That is almost impossible to cut the counties out. They will not vote themselves out of existence. Unless they have some uneducated buffons in charge.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously Michael Vaughan disagrees with you Bazza...he's under heavy fire after questioning whether the youth players coming through are mentally tough enough for international cricket.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think it should be in two tiers

REGIONAL- for all the Test players and players who are too good for county and not good enough for Tests (Rampakash, Hick, Sliverwood etc)

COUNTY- for players who are not selected for Regional teams and will have to play hard and well to get to the regional teams

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
I think it should be in two tiers

REGIONAL- for all the Test players and players who are too good for county and not good enough for Tests (Rampakash, Hick, Sliverwood etc)

COUNTY- for players who are not selected for Regional teams and will have to play hard and well to get to the regional teams
Its a nice idea but in practise i would suspect that everyone goes off and watches the Regional game, so the County game would die a very quick death..

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
Its a nice idea but in practise i would suspect that everyone goes off and watches the Regional game, so the County game would die a very quick death..

No it will not

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Care to give some reasons as to why it won't die off?

Nice idea but without the county stars then attendances will fall off, replica sales would stumble, income would struggle, vicious circle of decline time...

Craig

World Traveller
But it is a bit rich to expect people to go to FC matches, I mean the majority of money generated would be from TV, ground takings and sponsorship. And the ground takings would be from Twenty20 and the NCL. These are for non Test and ODI venues.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/EpykFyFpZpfKSDxaKg.shtml

A Widening Chasm?

Michael Vaughan has this week been heavily criticised by many in the English county game over his criticisms of the “bread and butter game” on these shores. Yet, in a summer that has also shown just how broad the divide is between the Championship and Test Cricket, maybe his critics should acknowledge that he might have a valid point?

Vaughan commented about the lack of “mental strength” and “opportunities for training” that are provided - or more to the point, aren’t provided - in the county game. Having seen some of the dismissals of England rookies, several of them that would have shamed tailenders, then if Vaughan’s suggestions aren’t on the mark, they’re not far away from it either. Ed Smith has scored bucketloads of runs and more centuries than anyone else in the County Championship this season, yet when put up against a solid Test attack he became as uncomfortable as Mike Gatting on a sponsored famine.

It seems a given that there’s not enough chance to train in the county game as nearly 40 top-level matches in all competitions is too many to provide adequate opportunities for “personal development”, and there are too many “journeymen” in the county game. Yet the purpose of this article is not to suggest a radical overhaul of county cricket - it’s a topic that’s been covered too many times before - nor, believe it or not, to set a record for most inverted commas in one piece of writing, but to look at the idea of the mentality behind the game that the Lancastrian also raised.

The number five position in England’s batting order - in both forms of the game - has been an excellent example of the divisions between the two, ostensibly similar, forms of the game. The list of candidates runs to Jim Troughton, Robert Key, Anthony McGrath and Smith. Whilst all have shown glimpses - albeit brief - of their talents, all have found the step up into the three lions a bridge too far at the present stage in their careers.

The inept bowling display in the fourth test at Headingley told its own story - an attack consisting of county cricket’s biggest wicket takers in recent times, Trent Bridge hero James Kirtley of Sussex, Kabir Ali of Worcestershire - the man with two 8-fors in the Championship already this year - and Surrey’s Martin Bicknell, recalled after ten years since the Ashes series of the Gatting ball. It was an attack with one strength, and one strength only - that of the traditional virtue of line and length seam bowling. For two short sessions it seemed to have worked as all three combined to reduced the visitors to 21/4 and then 142/7, yet when Kirsten, Zondeki and Ntini brought South Africa back into it, the bowlers went rapidly in the other direction.

It’s not a problem that’s isolated to cricket and not one that the county structure is entirely to blame for. English popular culture, inexplicably, loves nothing more than a plucky loser and hates nothing more than an unwavering winner. I often wonder whether more praise would be forthcoming were England to lose the Ashes by one run in the final Test chasing 492 after a last wicket stand of 83, than if they were to win the whole thing 5-0 with each victory coming by an innings.

Yet the county structure cannot permanently be absolved from responsibility. It’s too easy for teams and players just to go through the motions rather than laying every bone of their body on and beyond the line for all six months of the season. So much of the National Cricket League is met by apathy from spectators, players and clubs alike. The attitude of Somerset in using NCL games as trial runs for younger players and the second string, and Sussex’s use of the one-dayers to rest their “big guns” for their Championship Challenge, are examples of this. The combination of fixture congestion and the structure of the county game that allows teams to play games that do not matter for them in the grand scheme of things is only detrimental to our progress.

It’s not a coincidence that many of England’s better players have spent winters overseas, and the Australian attitude of personal development, improving oneself and always, always playing 110% to win has many things that the English psyche can learn from.

Cricket is not alone in its lack of cutting edge at the top level. Many traditionally “upper-class” or “public school” sports - tennis and rugby union in particular - have shown a disturbing lack in the ability to turn positions and talent into results (and before you mention it, we haven’t won the Rugby World Cup yet. If we do in October, I will change my mind - but I’ll be putting money on the All Blacks).

A contrasting case study on this subject is that of Argentine tennis players. The country has been in turmoil yet in a recent tournament all four semi-finalists were Argentine. There is the desire and fight inside these people to perform because it really does make a difference to them - it’s a similar story for East African distance runners - yet for the English too often it’s just a pursuit, and the lack of grit instilled upon them in their formative years leaves them behind their opponents.

So, was Vaughan right? The further I got into this, the more I felt that he was - yet it’s not just the fault of the county game, rather that of an endemic malaise present in sport in this country. Until this is done away with, it’s difficult to believe that England can become pre-eminent again.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Read your article earlier Neil. You have a good point but it's hard to see how that will change so we need a way of improving despite this holding us back. In all sports.

Maybe cricket and football and tennis and even athletics could do with looking at sports like rugby union and swimming where we have become alot stronger over the last few years?

Tim - I think it's obvious I know alot more about county cricket than Michael Vaughan ever will! :P

I still think the situation is getting better and we just need to give it 2-3 years to settle down so we can take stock. If that still isn't working we should look at what we can change.

One thing to look at is certainly the way central contracts are used.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Regional Cricket will provide a good competition for the test players and good county players people will want to watch it

But as for county it will be watched as it will be free admission, the county will run semi- professionally

i give out my blueprint next week