• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali Retires from International Cricket

stumpski

International Captain
He's struggled for wickets in his recent Tests hasn't he - I think eight will be beyond him, expecting him to finish with 795 or 6. A record that will probably stand for all our lifetimes though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Take a bow Murali

In my books, the finest cricketer of post 90's era. I can never get tired of singing praises for him.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Think it might be a bit tough for him to get to 800 wickets. He is definitely the one spinner I worried about against India.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Great player and a Legend of the game as well.

A absolute Great Character and a good person too. Carried the Srilankan attack with Vaas for so long now.Absolute Champion.

Will certainly be missed.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
His smile While playing the game was pretty characteristic of him.Specially while batting.

He was a pleasure to watch .

Btw,now only Sachin Tendulkar is left from the greats of that generation .

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well played Murali. It took me a long time to get past the doubts re his action, but I did in the end and came to appreciate what a unique bowler he was. Whether he finishes on 795 or 800 is ultimately pretty irrelevant - what he'll hopefully take away are great memories of nearly two decades playing the great game with teammates and opponents and the knowledge that he, more than anyone else, turned SL into an international force in cricket.

Btw cevno, not to derail but there's still a couple of guys named RT Ponting and JH Kallis going around. ;)

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sometimes i really get emotional on the thought that if we will ever be able to see the likes of Murali and other greats ever again.....How many similar greats do we have in the making from this newish generation of cricketers...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sometimes i really get emotional on the thought that if we will ever be able to see the likes of Murali and other greats ever again.....How many similar greats do we have in the making from this newish generation of cricketers...
The same number we had before these guys. :)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Btw cevno, not to derail but there's still a couple of guys named RT Ponting and JH Kallis going around. ;)
Certainly.

Though i was thinking more towards late 80's,early 90's rather than middle to late 90's .Though you are right.