• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 a dying format?!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The article pretty much has it spot on. There's too many matches, it's got too expensive, and the novelty has worn off. I've been to a few in past years but I've not been the last two years. This year I've opted for a day at at Pak-Aus test and last year I went to the T20 world cup instead.

I consider myself as having a reasonable amount of money to spend since I have an okay job and no kids, so if I think it's too much money to go to more than a couple of days of 'expensive' cricket each summer, I'm sure plenty of others do too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Expanded too much, and of course the crowds will be down when its played at the same time as the World Cup. Next year will be a more accurate view of whats going on, but it should be 10 games each in the group stage. (3 groups of 6, play each other twice). 16 games is overkill.

Crowds won't go back to the heyday but they would be higher than this year. Be interesting to see what the crowd is like on Friday when i go, it's been a sellout/close to in recent years.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What do you expect?

How many of England's world champion side are playing regularly in the competition?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously far too many games. Does it really need home and away at the group stage? I think not.

The dumbing down of the games does nothing for the atmostphere either. We really don't need the blasts of music everytime there's a boundary or a wicket. And the cheer leaders just look like a desperate attempt to chivy up the crowds. They should convey more confidence in the game itself to generate interest without pointless gimicks.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously far too many games. Does it really need home and away at the group stage? I think not.

The dumbing down of the games does nothing for the atmostphere either. We really don't need the blasts of music everytime there's a boundary or a wicket. And the cheer leaders just look like a desperate attempt to chivy up the crowds. They should convey more confidence in the game itself to generate interest without pointless gimicks.
I think it does, probably more money in a Lancs-Yorks game than the rest of the Lancs games put together, but thats why its better in a North-Midlands-South split, less games, and more against closer opponents. (using Lancs-Yorkshire as an example, albeit a slight anomoly, local rivalries exist througout and counties would much prefer h&a against local sides than playing 8 different sides once)

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
whats with all this doom and gloom about cricket? its fine it will be fine for another 50 years
people worry too much.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep too many matches as has been said..
The World Cup this year was ridiculous.. Who has heard of two world cups in two consecutive years?

Galactus

Banned
As i have said before T20 will help to make womens cricket more popular

it looks stupid on men pro35/pro40 is a better option for men than both odi & t20

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Its greed IMO. They did well before T20 came into being. World Cups had some value. People took days off to watch good ODIs.

There is a big gloabal support for the game of cricket, why are they not turning up anymore? Because the quality of the game is going down due several factors which includes pitches especially.

The only reason people like T20 is beacuse its a bit more competitive and you get to see some close games....

Tests and ODIs are the way to go. Apart from the Bangladesh game, i thought Asia cup was fine.

Faisal1985

asia cup was a disaster no one even talked about it huge flop odis
Based on what?

Main stream media did talk about it in Pak Ind SL Bang.

Yes there were a couple of dead rubbers in there but not a flop by far.

Indo Pak game was amazing and so were the SL and Pak, SL and Ind.

Of Course the English or Australian media couldn't care less about it.

Last edited:

Galactus

Banned
i live in kolkata in my locality no one talked or cared about the asia cup as they used to for every single match in the 90s decade

Faisal1985

Well, thats your locality then...doesn't mean its the same every where else.

I judge a tournament with the quality of cricket, barring Bang, the quality was out there and a couple of good close games made it a good tournament. If only Bang had put up a good fight, this would have been a fantastic tournament.

Galactus

Banned
the thing is the popularity of odis has nose dived since the 2003 world cup now only ipl is the lone popular or talked about cricket tourney no one gives a damn about any others

the reason being the 8 hrs long odis as if we have no work