Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speeds of Australian fast bowlers

Speeds of Australian fast bowlers

Currently Bollinger,Johnson,Harris,Tait,Nannes,Hilf,Siddle,, Hazelwood that makes 8 of them capable of hitting 90+ miles I am there must be a few who can do it at the FC scene..

Never before I have seen Aus produce so many genuine quicks all at the same time so is this a concentrated effort by CA to train their fast man to bowl quicker as wickets seems to have become flatter now or is it just a weird coincidence?.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    It's spread out over a reasonable range of ages and most of them would've been training to bowl fast before wickets flattened out I'd imagine. Might have something to do with the systems in place to ensure bowlers have the best possible chance to bowl to their maximum though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Xuahib Bollinger, Hilf, Siddle and Harris seriously capable of reaching 150km+? Always thought that they were around 140-ish...

Probably because Australia has flatter wickets and a thing for fast bowlers.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Xuahib Bollinger, Hilf, Siddle and Harris seriously capable of reaching 150km+? Always thought that they were around 140-ish...

Probably because Australia has flatter wickets and a thing for fast bowlers.
    90mph ~ 144kph
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    90mph ~ 144kph
    Oh, okay.

It's because our fast bowlers are men, and not pussies like other nations /Streetwise

Nah, have no idea why our bowlers can bowl quicker with less chance of breaking down than other nations.

Siddle is an interesting one, He is normally around 138 but bowls a rather heavy ball and hits the wicket hard. Yet with his tail up in front of his home crowd in Melbourne against South Africa, he was in the high 140's for the entire spell. Johnson is consistently 152+, Bollinger is around 138-144, Hilfenhaus 140, Harris 140-144, and at the top, Nannes is consistently over 154, and Tait 152-160.

Reportedly when he was young and injury free Watson was rather brisk.

The speed helps with reverse swing. Troy Cooley thinks that you need to be around 90mph to gain meaningful reverse swing, which is a lot faster than conventional swing. Perhaps this is the plan ? With pitches as flat as they are and the new ball not swinging as much (unless you're Hilfenhaus) you'd probably notice countries bowling across seam and bounce throwing the ball in to get reverse swing as early as possible, even as early as 25-35 overs

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Oh, okay.

It's because our fast bowlers are men, and not pussies like other nations /Streetwise

Nah, have no idea why our bowlers can bowl quicker with less chance of breaking down than other nations.
    why question is not whether they are men or not I am just puzzled how suddenly they have heaps of bowlers who could bowl 90+.when in the past there have never been more then 2-3.

Of course they've only been recording speeds during games since about 1999 so it gets noticed a lot more now. From reports Merv and McDermott were quite brisk, especially Merv.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Currently Bollinger,Johnson,Harris,Tait,Nannes,Hilf,Siddle,, Hazelwood that makes 8 of them capable of hitting 90+ miles I am there must be a few who can do it at the FC scene..

Never before I have seen Aus produce so many genuine quicks all at the same time so is this a concentrated effort by CA to train their fast man to bowl quicker as wickets seems to have become flatter now or is it just a weird coincidence?.

Is it just co-incidence that most of them seem to spend a lot of time injured?

You forgot Lee BTW

Harris can bowl faster than 140 - 144, I've seen him around the 150 mark.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I thought Bollinger was mid 130s - doesn't look as quick as the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

About ten years ago an enormous amount of research went into fast bowling from Cricket Australia. Maximising speed and limiting injury were basically the two main aims of the research.

There is also these days a lot of impetus to fast track people who bowl with great pace, rather than those people who take wickets week-in week-out.

Almost all sides except India and Bangladesh have few bowlers who hit 90mph. Pakistan will have nearly twenty who could do it in their ranks. It has been such for a long time now. Even their U-19s crank up 88mph+ deliveries. Windies, Saffies and English are known to produce quick bowlers. New Zealanders have the phisique to bowl fast. Interestingly Sri Lanka has five who could get to 90mph (Malinga, Fernado, Thushara, Prasad, Nuwan Pradeep), and the first and the last have been cloked 150k. Execept for Fernado, Pradeep and Thushara others are small men. All the quick bowling aussies, poms, saffies and kiwis are big men. Only Roach and Steyn could be describes as short with Malinga and Prasad. But the real difference is in their fitness. Aussie and Saffie bolwlers are supremely fit, and Pakistani's are notorious of breaking down. May be a better traning program will help.

This shows India, ZImbabawe and Bangladesh can produce quick bowlers of they look in to it. Physically they are very similar to Lankans in size. If SL can find five players who can bowl at 90mph, India should be able to find a few dozens.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I don't know what Ryan Harris some of y'all have been watching, but the one I've seen is REGULARLY 150kph. He is basically express, just kinda doesn't look it.

Siddle is very capable of 150kph, just it seems like he only does 2 or 3 times a season and bowls low 140s/high 130s the rest of the time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan1 View Post
    Is it just co-incidence that most of them seem to spend a lot of time injured?
    Bloody good point. Having several guys who bowl 1450Km/h+ is useless when they spend more time playing with their pills than bowling one.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information