• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speeds of Australian fast bowlers

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And often Lee's quickest spells seemed to come towards the end of a series. Sydney last Ashes and the Oval 05 being a couple of examples which spring to mind.

thierry henry

International Coach
Mike Selvey dedicated his column to this very subject in today's Guardian.

Urges a note of caution about the reliability of the readings.
The comments about Harris are stupid and a classic example of why speed-ball radars may not be totally accurate, but they are certainly more accurate than the human eye and the bias of human perception against an unglamorous bloke like Harris.

Harris has been consistently capable of maxing out at around 96mph for the last 6 months. Does this make him a mere 4-5mph slower than the fastest bowlers ever measured? Yes, it does. End of story.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Mike Selvey dedicated his column to this very subject in today's Guardian.

Urges a note of caution about the reliability of the readings.
Richard always repeated a sentiment which I have grown to agree with, that speed guns are only useful for comparing the speeds of bowlers within a match.

thierry henry

International Coach
Tait has now hit 160kph in games in NZ, Australia, and England. Fair to say it's no longer a fluke or a freak reading.

Tait is as quick as anything that's ever been MEASURED, and when he bowls alongside a firing Nannes or Harris they are only 4-5mph slower.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, I think we attribute far too much variability in speeds to the camera and not to the bowlers. As TH said, Tait has been timed around 160Km/h in several countries using different cameras every time. And he's generally right up there.

Why is it when a quick bowler doesn't bowl as quick as expected in a match the cameras take the fall yet everyone who's ever picked up a ball knows if you're not relaxed and trying to bust a gut every ball, you're just not going to bowl as quick? The inherent distrust of tech in cricket at work here, tbh.

Harris is another example; in his first ODI, nervous as ****, he was clocked above 150Km/h. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he can bowl that quick especially since he's been right up there a few times for QLD, SA and now Aus.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard always repeated a sentiment which I have grown to agree with, that speed guns are only useful for comparing the speeds of bowlers within a match.
Did he? I thought that was me

EDIT- Yeah, just checked and that is mine and not Richards position. Not sure how you confused the two as Richard is/was pretty strong in his belief of post 1998 speeds.

Speed guns are only really useful relative to a certain day and the players involved.

As mentioned above, some days players are slower across the board, other days far quicker.

The thing about speed guns in cricket there is no defined standard or or defined proceedure.

Different places use different types of guns and we have no idea of the positioning of the measuring equipment (that can make a big difference).

We also see many anomalies such as boucers smacking into the keepers gloves measuring 115 kph and the such like.

Cricket speed guns are for fun, they shouldnt be taken as gospel.
Whereas

Well, mostly they're accurate to 0.1mph, but you get the odd anomalaic result.
To be fair his stance has softened a little since his early posts on the topic but he was previously quite adamant about their accuracy.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

EDIT- Yeah, just checked and that is mine and not Richards position. Not sure how you confused the two as Richard is/was pretty strong in his belief of post 1998 speeds.
Yep, my mistake, as soon as I saw you as the last reply, I realised my mistake. Rich is always adamant that there was no such thing as a reliable speed gun prior to 1998 and the ones after said date are pretty much accurate.

slowfinger

International Debutant

Whereas

To be fair his stance has softened a little since his early posts on the topic but he was previously quite adamant about their accuracy.
:laugh: Must he reads it like a Gospel tbh.