• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Funny games (people with better/more X than Y)

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope what I am about to say will make sense. Occasionally, while chilling out wasting time on Facebook or Messenger, my friend and I will play a game. Basically it involves chosing a statistic of a good/great player, then finding the most mediocre player to have a greater statistic of that sort. For example;

'People with more test tons than Stephen Fleming'

'People with a better FC highest score than Sachin Tendulkar'

'People with a better FC best bowling figures than Nathan Hauritz'

While this activity may not sound very entertaining, I assure you it is. I think it would be amusing for the CW community to come up with more, as well as find good examples to fit the above as well as any others that may be posted.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, reckon this could be fun actually.

As far as your first three examples go - well of the 112 blokes with more Test centuries than Fleming's 9, the one with the lowest average is Ian Botham, followed by Mike Gatting. TBF it's hard to find a "mediocre" Test player who has scored 10 or more Test centuries - some are better than others of course, but you don't score 10+ Test tons without being able to hold a bat to a pretty fair level.

The number of players not fit to lace Sachin's boots who nevertheless have a better FC highest score are almost too many to name. That Tendulkar's highest Test score is 248* is a little surprising, that it's also his career highest FC score is quite remarkable.

And given that Hauritz' best FC bowling figures are "only" 5/53, the list of players (many of whom comparatively mediocre) with better figures are certainly in the hundreds!

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So for example :
Player with a better BBI in an ODI than Shaun Tait
- Sachin Tendulkar

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great idea for a thread.

G.I.Joe2254760 said:
Donald Bradman
I seriously would like to know who averages more playing for their domestic FC team, Bradman or Tendulkar. Tendulkar in the high 90s, so might edge Bradman.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great idea for a thread.

I seriously would like to know who averages more playing for their domestic FC team, Bradman or Tendulkar. Tendulkar in the high 90s, so might edge Bradman.
Bradman averaged 110 in Sheffield Shield cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
... and a hoary old chestnut .....

Better Test batting average than Bradman?

Andy Ganteaume - 112

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Was just discussing Kallis' high score not being very high with my cousin just yesterday. Does it detract from Kallis' greatness as a batsman? PEWS? (Curious)

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
Was just discussing Kallis' high score not being very high with my cousin just yesterday. Does it detract from Kallis' greatness as a batsman? PEWS? (Curious)
Didn't realise it was so low until just checking now, especially since he is exactly the type of player you'd back to make big matchwinning scores. He must be the finest batsman of the last thirty years to not have a test match double hundred to his name.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Better Test bowling average than Glenn McGrath: Anthony McGrath (see also: better Test batting average than WG Grace and Victor Trumper)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've had this debate many times; I don't really intend to do it again as I get really frustrated but if you give me a bit I'll dig up one of my more calm posts on the matter for you. :)