• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZA Team named

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Since 2008 we've been sending over "emerging" teams with a lot more experience, 2006 iirc there wasn't a single player with international experience besides Fulton.
Capped players in 2008 were Franklin and Ryder, Jesse having recently debuted against England.
That team did have the likes of Pinga and Arnel, but also had Anderson and Boult, who were truly emerging at the time, along with Guptill and Watling.

I would say that this year marks the departure from normal policy.
Personally I would have liked the core of the team from last year to get another shot.
Raval, Kitchen and Bennett along with the likes of Brodie, Merchant, de Boorder and Bracewell would have made good selections.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Capped players in 2008 were Franklin and Ryder, who had at the time recently debuted against England.
That team did have the likes of Pinga and Arnel, but also had Anderson and Boult, who were truly emerging at the time, along with Guptill and Watling.

I would say that this year marks the departure from normal policy.
Personally I would have liked the core of the team from last year to get another shot.
Raval, Kitchen and Bennett along with the likes of Brodie, Merchant, de Boorder and Bracewell would have made good selections.
Franklin debuted well before 08.

waqararif

Cricket Spectator
The combination of youth and experience will generate a best team for any cricket playing country but selection should be on merit.

Polo23

International Debutant
Would have loved to see Kitchen, A De Boorder and Jeet Raval in that team. Quite disappointing.

brockley

International Captain
I would say NZ A favourites seeing what the likely s africa and aussie side like,india not named yet,surprised nz sending an A team to the tournament altho they did cancel their A team tour A england.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Just realised that a winter training squad has been named to head over to Brisbane for a couple of weeks to get some outdoor practice for the upcoming domestic season. It's a pretty neat concept by New Zealand cricket regarding who they've sent over, plenty of experience to go with some players that haven't even made their FC debuts yet.

The squad is:

Derek de Boorder
Sam Wells
Jeet Raval
Andrew Matheson
Josh Brodie
Nick Beard
Anaru Kitchen
Colin De Grandhomme
Dean Brownlie
Michael Bates
Adam Milne
Bevan Small
Neil Wagner
Andrew de Boorder
James Neesham
Daniel Flynn
Shanan Stewart
Trent Boult
Luke Woodcock

Loving that bowling talent it must be said.

Howsie

International Captain
I like our squad. Really hope Taylor plays for us. Gutted Napier is injured. He was crucial last season.
Unless Jacob Oram can somehow rediscover his form of seasons past Central will struggle big time I think. Even with a batsmen like Ross Taylor who dominated during the second season of the IPL they're missing another batsmen who can match what he's capable of, perhaps Noema-Barnett could be that player but the chances of that happening would be pretty slim. Their lack of a quality spinner should be lessoned due to the fact that this is being played in South Africa but even so it will still hurt.

Flem274*

123/5
Unless Jacob Oram can somehow rediscover his form of seasons past Central will struggle big time I think. Even with a batsmen like Ross Taylor who dominated during the second season of the IPL they're missing another batsmen who can match what he's capable of, perhaps Noema-Barnett could be that player but the chances of that happening would be pretty slim. Their lack of a quality spinner should be lessoned due to the fact that this is being played in South Africa but even so it will still hurt.
I don't think Noema-Barnett will be that guy. He did well in a couple of games but generally across all three formats he's been a bit of a passenger.

A lot depends on how the inbetweenies go. Ingram, How, Sinclair etc have tasted inconsistent success at international level across the formats but go nicely at domestic level. A global club comp is between the two levels, so this will be interesting.

Then there's the bowling. Mason is the only dead cert starter with Thompson and Napier unavailable. Will be interesting to see who gets the gig. I suspect this will be the team:

Ingram
How
Sinclair
Taylor
Oram
Weston
Griggs
Diamanti
Mason
Rance
McClenaghan

I can see someone like Kuru or Milne being a bolter pretty easily though. SA generally assists the quicks so at least one of McClenaghan, Milne or Kuru will play.

Gutted we have no Napier or Thompson though. They've often been the difference between wins and losses for CD in limited overs games. With both gone it would almost have been better for Auckland to win, provided Bates didn't continue his trend of always having his bad days on TV.

Howsie

International Captain
As inconsistant as he is, or as poor as he is (if thats how you want to go) I'd back Noema-Barnett to win a game single handedly for Central (ala Ross Taylor) over the likes of Peter Ingram, Jamie How and Matthew Sinclair. He's a poor batsmen yes but he has that natural ability to strike the ball over the fence early on during his innings, and if he gets on a role he could quite easily rack up 30-40 runs in a matter of overs, something I couldn't see the aforementioned batsmen doing.

Graham Napier's a big loss but losing Ewen Thompson to retirement is rather meh, iirc he wasn't even making the team at the back-end of the HRV cup. The bowling attack looking at it potential wise really doesn't look that bad, Central seem to have plenty of variation in the pace ranks. But seeing as a lot of them haven't played 20/20 cricket I wouldn't expect too much.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Could easily see Pinga doing that, Sinclair too.

Though I reckon Noema-Barnett deserves a run in the side.

Flem274*

123/5
As inconsistant as he is, or as poor as he is (if thats how you want to go) I'd back Noema-Barnett to win a game single handedly for Central (ala Ross Taylor) over the likes of Peter Ingram, Jamie How and Matthew Sinclair. He's a poor batsmen yes but he has that natural ability to strike the ball over the fence early on during his innings, and if he gets on a role he could quite easily rack up 30-40 runs in a matter of overs, something I couldn't see the aforementioned batsmen doing.

Graham Napier's a big loss but losing Ewen Thompson to retirement is rather meh, iirc he wasn't even making the team at the back-end of the HRV cup. The bowling attack looking at it potential wise really doesn't look that bad, Central seem to have plenty of variation in the pace ranks. But seeing as a lot of them haven't played 20/20 cricket I wouldn't expect too much.
I disagree strongly.

Noema-Barnett has looked decidely shaky often. Even in the final when he scored some runs he was late on Daryl Tuffey early in his innings...that isn't good.

In contrast, the three above have caused their share of considerable damage over the years. They are far superior batsmen in every aspect to Noema-Barnett.

I'm not even sure if he'll be in the starting eleven. Oram will obviously play and if they go for two allrounders there is still the option of Doug Bracewell or maybe George Worker for his spin.

I know you despise Thompson, but a lot of our limited overs success is due to him and even though in his one ODI he got smashed by a ridiculously good international Indian batting unit, the other half of his brief international career had him making Gayle look clueless.

Thompson will be missed. The up and comers have potential, but we have absolutely no idea what they're truly capable of even on the NZ scene. So basically we have Mason, Oram, Diamanti and two unknown quantities.

Hopefuly one or two of the newbies will have a stellar tournament and declare themselves, but it's just as likely they will be out of their depth.

The speed radar will be fun to watch if we play a few of McClenaghan, Milne, Kuru and Small.

Howsie

International Captain
We'll just have to agree to disagree then :)

With regards to the whole Thompson retirement, he played in something like half the games during that campaign last season, and when he did play he did nothing of note. In no way could you say he helped get CD into this tournament, he was downright terrible and wasn't even able to get past Seth Rance in selection for the final.