• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I've seen quite a few lately that have clearly bounced yet the fielder was adamant he caught it, i'm seriously starting to label some of them cheats

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mishy was crap to the tail, but not early on.

Same with Ishant as well.

Ojha was okay to Malinga and Mendis. Just didn't have the right field and support from Dhoni.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni should quit poking around tomorrow and have a go at the spinners from ball one. The result won't be unexpected if he gets out for 0 either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Spinner won't be the issue I reckon.

Malinga will have a go with the short stuff considering Dhoni's finger injury.

Personally would almost bat Mishra ahead of Dhoni :ph34r:

I actually thought that too tbh.

The minute Taufel referred it, it should have been a situation where the camera must prove it is caught. By referring it, he therefore admitted he was not sure.

Hence Taufel was not sure, and the footage is unclear. Benefit of the doubt must then go to the batsman.

Baffling really. If Taufel believed it was out, he should have given it out without having to refer it.
I agree.What adds fuel to the fire is that the TV umpire was Dharmasena...not exactly the most competent of umpires....I don't have doubts on Jaya's integrity.He is a class player but in real time it is impossible for the player to know whether it was a clean catch or not.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they would trade Tendu's wicket for Sehwag's.I must say I agree.Given the scenario a Sehwag-esque approach would be more beneficial than the tuk tuk approach.Ind won't win this match by blocking out over after over.

Batting tail enders before Dhoni and maybe even Raina seems like a good idea.The pitch will ease out post lunch..If India can make it through with still 5 - preferably 6-wickets still in hand then they are a chance.

Sir Alex

Banned
I agree.What adds fuel to the fire is that the TV umpire was Dharmasena...not exactly the most competent of umpires....I don't have doubts on Jaya's integrity.He is a class player but in real time it is impossible for the player to know whether it was a clean catch or not.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they would trade Tendu's wicket for Sehwag's.I must say I agree.Given the scenario a Sehwag-esque approach would be more beneficial than the tuk tuk approach.Ind won't win this match by blocking out over after over.

Batting tail enders before Dhoni and maybe even Raina seems like a good idea.The pitch will ease out post lunch..If India can make it through with still 5 - preferably 6-wickets still in hand then they are a chance.
What? Getting out in the second ball faced for duck is the best way to approach the innings?

I cannot fathom this Sehwag love as far as chasing down a target is concerned.

Sehwag's performances in the 4th innings has largely been ordinary (avg of 28), yet somehow his approach is talked up as if it is the right approach.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In real-time I didn't think there was much doubt about it at all.. and I've heard there is some fore-shortening effect of the TV camera as well which make catches look more doubtful than they actually are. I think people pointed that out in the Hussey non-catch of Akmal in the Headingley Test.

But if there indeed was a doubt in Taufel's mind, then yeah, the benefit should have gone to Vijay, otherwise he should have raised his finger straightaway.

What? Getting out in the second ball faced for duck is the best way to approach the innings?

I cannot fathom this Sehwag love as far as chasing down a target is concerned.

Sehwag's performances in the 4th innings has largely been ordinary (avg of 28), yet somehow his approach is talked up as if it is the right approach.
Guess what?He got out defending....

The point is on a wicket that has something in it for the bowlers there is no point blocking around.It is exactly the mistake Pak made today against Eng.I am not saying they should swing blindly but they've got to show intent.

Tendu's century against Eng in Chennai 08 was great but it was Sehwag's knock that set the game up.There is no way they would have thought about chasing 400 otherwise.

Sir Alex

Banned
Guess what?He got out defending....

The point is on a wicket that has something in it for the bowlers there is no point blocking around.It is exactly the mistake Pak made today against Eng.I am not saying they should swing blindly but they've got to show intent.

Tendu's century against Eng in Chennai 08 was great but it was Sehwag's knock that set the game up.There is no way they would have thought about chasing 400 otherwise.
So what? Sehwag the player never defends? Or he never gets out attacking?

Sorry but I completely disagree with the blind policy of attacking on a dicey pitch. Agreed it might result in the odd Chennai 2008s, but more often, you'll get out in the process. Actually there is a reason why Sehwag averages 28 in the 4th innings isn't it?

As much as Sehwag's 83 helped to set up the win, it was Tendulkar's (and waterboy's) efforts which helped India cross the line. Are you seriously saying Sehwag's effort in that innings was better than Tendulkar's?

Whichever way you look at it, Sehwag's record in the 4th innings is inferior to Tendulkar's. There is no basis whatsoever in saying Sehwag's approach is better in the 4th innings than Tendulkar's. You are simply glorifying his best effort and conveniently giving a blind eye to the scores of failures otherwise.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what? Sehwag the player never defends? Or he never gets out attacking?

Sorry but I completely disagree with the blind policy of attacking on a dicey pitch. Agreed it might result in the odd Chennai 2008s, but more often, you'll get out in the process. Actually there is a reason why Sehwag averages 28 in the 4th innings isn't it?

As much as Sehwag's 83 helped to set up the win, it was Tendulkar's (and waterboy's) efforts which helped India cross the line. Are you seriously saying Sehwag's effort in that innings was better than Tendulkar's?

Whichever way you look at it, Sehwag's record in the 4th innings is inferior to Tendulkar's. There is no basis whatsoever in saying Sehwag's approach is better in the 4th innings than Tendulkar's. You are simply glorifying his best effort and conveniently giving a blind eye to the scores of failures otherwise.
Yes, IMO. He laid the platform and made us believe that we could even attempt to chase 387 in under four sessions. Not taking anything away from Tendulkar and Yuvraj, of course.

Let me remind you of Tendulkar's innings in the '03 WC against Pak.. he got out with 100 or so runs to go. Yuvraj and Dravid at the crease with a fair bit of work to do which they did well, but Tendulkar won us that match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See I think people are getting confused.

Would I trade a Sehwag 100 in this situation than a Tendulkar one? Yes, because the runs would come faster, and hopefully less wickets would have fallen on the other end.

But who is more likely to score that 100 in this scenario? Tendulkar. Everyday.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I also agree that Sehwag's 83 was the key innings in Chennai. BUT, we're not talking about what innings would be valuable here. We're talking about what player is more valuable.

Tendulkar is more liekly to repeat his Chennai performance than Sehwag is of repeating his Chennai performance. In fact, we saw that today.