• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think we're about to get Mendised again.
Would be so good for cricket if Mendis returned for form. Never really bought that he'd been "figured out" - it happened to a small extent but the fast majority of his decline was IMO down to the fact that he completely lost his radar. Bowled rubbish regularly.

Looks like he just broke the record for the fastest Sri Lankan to fifty Test wickets, one Test earlier than Murali. Fair effort especially since he's played half his Tests against the best players of spin in the world.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Would be so good for cricket if Mendis returned for form. Never really bought that he'd been "figured out" - it happened to a small extent but the fast majority of his decline was IMO down to the fact that he completely lost his radar. Bowled rubbish regularly.

Looks like he just broke the record for the fastest Sri Lankan to fifty Test wickets, one Test earlier than Murali. Fair effort especially since he's played half his Tests against the best players of spin in the world.
Yeah, but Yuvraj probably played most of those tests :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't know why Mendis is still bowling around the wicket to the new batsmen. Worked well against the set batsmen because it choked them and stalled the momentum and sure there's a bit of rough there, but he's always been at his best as an attacking bowler when he gets in really close to the stumps and just moves it enough each way. He's bowling well enough at the moment to go back to that against Dhoni + the tail IMO; he'd clean up.

Stapel

International Regular
Good test this! Halfway day 3 and all results still possible. Feels like 40-40-20 for India-SL-draw.

chicane

State Captain

Yeah agreed. This game needs Dhoni to counterattack too though, shaping up to be a cracker.

Stapel

International Regular
Well, Malinga got Dhoni cheaply. And still with the old ball, or did I miss something?

Anyway, Malinga will soon get the new ball to have a go at the tail.

Edit: I love to see Malinga bowl!

Himannv

International Coach
Whats up with Mathews in this game. Thats the second catch he's dropped in the match. Very unusual.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think Sri Lanka can cope with his loss. They've got good spinners coming up who are young. They have a very strong bat and a decent bowl. To me right now they are, or at least should be, the No. 1 team, but once India shakes its injuries then it's a different stroy. Not having Harbajan hurts them... A LOT. Alas though I think they have a better, deeper bat than India, but the Indians have a better spin attack that is primarily injured right now. That is what has made these tests, the 1st and 3rd of course, interesting.
Well, let me first apologize to all our SL fans here who I feel are wonderful posters (at least most of them.. :) )...

But there is a reason I think SL will never really reach the top. They are just WAY too defensive and too smart for their own good. They get a good batsman there like Sehwag and first thing they do is put 3 or 4 on the boundary, even to Malinga.. And they never go all out for the kill. They go for the strangle more than the aggressive route and I am sorry, I just DO NOT see this team wining anything worthwhile away from home with this attitude. Feel Mahela was a MUCH better captain than Sanga as well.. Sanga just tries to be too clever sometimes..

Again, I would LOVE to see this side do well but this is the feeling I get watching them. :(

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
and I am sorry, I just DO NOT see this team wining anything worthwhile away from home with this attitude.
You are assuming that all, if not most of the pitches on the sub-continent aren't similar to this and the one from the 1st test. That's 2 other countries they can walk into and potentially win on. Sri Lanka I think will be fine, they'll be a proper contender for the World Cup and they can certainly put the foot down on India if they give another ounce of effort. This situation right now is kidna frustrating yes, but I think SL can certainly push around India quite well. I would fear for them in SA or AUS though.

Also yes Mahela is the better skipper.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have absolutely no problem with it at all. I don't think it gives much of an advantage (not in Test/First Class cricket anyway) but even if I did I'd still think it'd fine. Bowlers need to find new ways to get batsmen out these days and I fail to see how the pause is against the spirit of the game at all tbh.
My opinion too, actually.. Juz wanna get some thoughts on this though. Coz like a few other arguments, I see some merit on both sides on this. :)

Himannv

International Coach
About the pause in the action, probably not something the purists would like too much, but I'm unsure of how this even helps the bowler. Enables variation of pace perhaps, or is it to do with the amount of spin imparted?

Either way, I dont see it as a violation of any rule and I think its become far too much of a batsman's game at the moment to bother with stopping all these bowlers from an action that doesn't really seem illegal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are assuming that all, if not most of the pitches on the sub-continent aren't similar to this and the one from the 1st test. That's 2 other countries they can walk into and potentially win on. Sri Lanka I think will be fine, they'll be a proper contender for the World Cup and they can certainly put the foot down on India if they give another ounce of effort. This situation right now is kidna frustrating yes, but I think SL can certainly push around India quite well. I would fear for them in SA or AUS though.

Also yes Mahela is the better skipper.
Well, I suppose if India can be #1 without winning much outside the SC, so can SL.. I just meant they will never be too far away from the rest of the pack, even though with some of the talent they have, they SHOULD be, at least in this period with other sides being rather weak as well... I just think they don't allow themselves to be as good as they can be.. They just seem to think too much. Sometimes I agree with Ian Chappell.. It is ok to think about the game a bit while playing but taking it too far is always a weakness.. Just go to do the basics right and always look for runs or wickets.. Best way to be a great side IMO..