• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah, which is what everyone said before this Test. It's a stereotype I don't agree with though. Prasad and Fernando aren't even nearly fast enough to get picked because of their pace alone and they don't have anything else going for them. Batsmen aren't going to be beaten by bowlers who bowl slightly above average pace with no accuracy, movement, consistency or plan on any pitch. The conditions wouldn't have helped Nuwan at all but they haven't helped Prasad or Fernando one iota either.

Prasad has averaged 137km/hr in this game according to cricinfo and this is someone who was picked purely because he's fast; he's a rank pie-chucker and he's gone at five an over just as he's deserved to. Fernando has averaged below 130km/hr and even though there have obviously been a few slower balls mixed in there, I think it shows that even Fernando knows there's not a lot of point bending his back too much for this surface. Faster bowlers doing well on flat pitches is a massive myth because they inevitably slow themselves down when they realise they're getting nothing out of it anyway. Look at Sri Lanka's best ever fast bowler in home conditions - Chaminda Vaas. Never particularly quick but he had all the tricks and knew how to get batsmen out.

NK's just a better bowler in general - more accuracy, more movement, more naus, more skill. If he had a game like this where he didn't take any wickets people would bemoan his lack of pace and demand a replacement but when someone like Fernando goes wicketless it's just because the pitch is flat apparently.
Good post and you raise good points for sure. Just that I think the likes of Fernando, Prasad and Pradeep are well worth the shot in these conditions.

Of course, its not worked as you say, but I dont think Kulasekara's pace would trouble any half decent batsmen when the conditions dont favour him and thats been seen in the past. He's fantastic when the conditions help him, but not here. Well worth trying out other options I reckon.

Vaas, of course, was a completely different story and was a far more wily and experienced campaigner in Sri Lankan conditions than Kulasekara.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bedi is certainly a controversy monger ,but not a Ordinary bowler by any means.

He seems to believe he is the ultimate authority on everything though.
cant blame for Murali snapping at Bedi finally, tbh. He has been a disgrace, has Bedi. :(

KingViv

Cricket Spectator
Just when I was going to post about Raina displaying good temperament for Test cricket, he gets out with a rash shot. Excellent debut still.

*Edit*: Nvm, he mistimed the shot.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Raina even in t20 and ODI cricket is very good on flattish and slow wickets. His problems come when the wicket has bounce or Swing or even too much turn.

Jayzamann

International Regular
And there it is.

Wonder how many bowlers on debut have conceded 100 runs to a single batsmen? I'd Ask Steve but he picks the ******** questions so he doesn't have to work too hard to write his article. "Durr Steeev hao many centuries in tests does sahin tendlkar have nao?"

Dissector

International Debutant
Nice to see Sachin get his double hundred but really this pitch is a disgrace to test cricket. Really hard to make a case for tests with this kind of dreck being served up. Give me the IPL any day compared to this test.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What was the point of this Test? To give everybody a century and boost their averages?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if i was in the India camp the plan should be bat till lunch tomorrow and see how far in front you are then declare and hope the pressure gets to Sri Lanka.Unlikely on this pitch but strange things happen on final days.

DingDong

State Captain
i am probably being stupid here but maybe the wicket has always been like this and nobody noticed it because murali ran through sides anyway?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Low slow borefest.

Why did not the groundsmen left a green track? It would have tested the batting skills more of the batsmen.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If games can be called off on day 1 for being a dangerous pitch, we should give the discretion to the match referee to call the game off on day 1 for boring pitch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ban SSC from test crciket!!

Everybody here saw this coming. If they left the pitch covered with grass, at least would have geiven some lateral movement for the seamers. This SSC pitch is dead now. It only needs a funeral to be rested in peace. It needs to be dug up and replaced, and bring back the glory of the fast bouncy SSC pitch which was regarded as one of the best result wickets in SL.