• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe some of the comments in that article. FFS, the guy has kept schtum over 15 years whilst being vilified regularly by Bedi, two high-profile umpires, the PM of Australia and several other players and the one time he bites back with a fairly mild jab, "Ohhh, I've lost respect for him now!"

Murali's been inhumanly calm about this in my book.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Back to the actual game for a minute, I'd like to reflect on the push to play Prasad and Fernando because they're faster and more likely to get something out of flat tracks.

Heh.

Nuwan FTW.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Back to the actual game for a minute, I'd like to reflect on the push to play Prasad and Fernando because they're faster and more likely to get something out of flat tracks.

Heh.

Nufan FTW.
Thanks!

Is this the first time an attack has completely changed mid series? What kind of injury does Herath and Welegedera have?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Well done Raina. One thing I totally like about him is his passion and attitude. So unlike Yuvraj.

Sir Alex

Banned
I must admit I had my reservations about Raina, and although he has hardly been tested in the most difficult of conditions, he has been brilliant in this test so far. Happy that this would mean end of Yuvraj episode.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well done Raina. One thing I totally like about him is his passion and attitude. So unlike Yuvraj.
Yeah, regardless of any criticism of his technique one might have, he definitely has a lot of talent and, most important of all, a genuine appetite for runs and the temperament to pace and build an innings.

Was Yuvraj dropped or injured? Actually took no notice; was just happy to see him gone.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thanks!

Is this the first time an attack has completely changed mid series? What kind of injury does Herath and Welegedera have?
Both dropped.

A retirement, an injury and two unforced changes from the attack in the first Test.

flibbertyjibber

Well this is a joke game now,the sad thing is the pitch for the last game will probably be the same to ensure a Sri Lankan series win.:@

Zinzan

Well this is a joke game now,the sad thing is the pitch for the last game will probably be the same to ensure a Sri Lankan series win.:@
More than likely, just as India would undoubtedly do the same thing if they were 1-0 up with one test remaining

Himannv

International Coach
Kulasekara. I'm one of his four fans - the other three being thierry henry (the CW member; not the soccer play), Greg Chappell, and his mother.
I doubt these conditions will help him much. Will be too gentle to trouble this calibre of batsmen I reckon. Personally I like the approach of going for the quicker bowlers although I may have preferred to see what Nuwan Pradeep can bring to the table.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Both dropped.

A retirement, an injury and two unforced changes from the attack in the first Test.

Wow. Welegedera got Sehwag out in each innings and Herath made that 80. Surely enough to keep them both in the team ahead of some of the bowlers that did get picked.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt these conditions will help him much. Will be too gentle to trouble this calibre of batsmen I reckon.
Yeah, which is what everyone said before this Test. It's a stereotype I don't agree with though. Prasad and Fernando aren't even nearly fast enough to get picked because of their pace alone and they don't have anything else going for them. Batsmen aren't going to be beaten by bowlers who bowl slightly above average pace with no accuracy, movement, consistency or plan on any pitch. The conditions wouldn't have helped Nuwan at all but they haven't helped Prasad or Fernando one iota either.

Prasad has averaged 137km/hr in this game according to cricinfo and this is someone who was picked purely because he's fast; he's a rank pie-chucker and he's gone at five an over just as he's deserved to. Fernando has averaged below 130km/hr and even though there have obviously been a few slower balls mixed in there, I think it shows that even Fernando knows there's not a lot of point bending his back too much for this surface. Faster bowlers doing well on flat pitches is a massive myth because they inevitably slow themselves down when they realise they're getting nothing out of it anyway. Look at Sri Lanka's best ever fast bowler in home conditions - Chaminda Vaas. Never particularly quick but he had all the tricks and knew how to get batsmen out.

NK's just a better bowler in general - more accuracy, more movement, more naus, more skill. If he had a game like this where he didn't take any wickets people would bemoan his lack of pace and demand a replacement but when someone like Fernando goes wicketless it's just because the pitch is flat apparently.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, which is what everyone said before this Test. It's a stereotype I don't agree with though. Prasad and Fernando aren't even nearly fast enough to get picked because of their pace alone and they don't have anything else going for them. Batsmen aren't going to be beaten by bowlers who bowl slightly above average pace with no accuracy, movement, consistency or plan on any pitch. The conditions wouldn't have helped Nuwan at all but they haven't helped Prasad or Fernando one iota either.

Prasad has averaged 137km/hr in this game according to cricinfo and this is someone who was picked purely because he's fast; he's a rank pie-chucker and he's gone at five an over just as he's deserved to. Fernando has averaged below 130km/hr and even though there have obviously been a few slower balls mixed in there, I think it shows that even Fernando knows there's not a lot of point bending his back too much for this surface. Faster bowlers doing well on flat pitches is a massive myth because they inevitably slow themselves down when they realise they're getting nothing out of. Look at Sri Lanka's best ever fast bowler in home conditions - Chaminda Vaas. Never particularly quick but he had all the tricks and knew how to get batsmen out.

NK's just a better bowler in general - more accuracy, more movement, more naus, more skill. If he had a game like this where he didn't take any wickets people would bemoan his lack of pace and demand a replacement but when someone like Fernando goes wicketless it's just because the pitch is flat apparently.
Nicely put Prince.