Page 112 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1716

Thread: *Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

vcs
    On the whole I thought Sri Lanka are a much better catching side than India... Jayawardene snaps up everything in the slips and I remember Raina putting down Sangakkara early on day 1. SL lost this match in the first session of day 4 when they lost too many wickets including Sanga to a long hop and Mathews hitting a full-toss straight to a fielder.

Yes, but the standards were clearly lacking in the 3rd. First two tests the catches SL missed were hard ones. But in the 3rd, they were sitters.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Best Test Team in the World? Hell Yeah.

Cheers.

Banned

That's the pick for you, Irish_Opener

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Awesome win.. Laxman, take a bow.. There was a period of about 20 overs before lunch when Laxman was the Lara to Sachin's Adams.. That is how awesome he was..

Gotta say though, as great as this knock was (as was Sachin's and Raina's, to an extent), the mind bogglingly defensive mindset of Sangakkara and his knack of trying things for the sake of trying meant this was among the easier 4th innings knocks these guys could expect to play. On a track clearly offering something to bowlers, it was just so easy for them to hit the ball in the air near a silly point or a backward short leg or gully or wherever and run the single.. Really, there is a reason I felt SL will not be a great side with this mindset, inspite of having some great players. If you can't bowl out 7 batsmen (only 2 established ones) with your premier spinners on a day 5 track, well........

LOVED the reaction of Dravid and Sachin after the winning runs were hit as well... Shows how much this means to them, the oldest guys in the squad. Augurs well for the Australia tests, for me.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    awesome win.. Laxman, take a bow.. There was a period of about 20 overs before lunch when laxman was the lara to sachin's adams.. That is how awesome he was..

gotta say though, as great as this knock was (as was sachin's and raina's, to an extent), the mind bogglingly defensive mindset of sangakkara and his knack of trying things for the sake of trying meant this was among the easier 4th innings knocks these guys could expect to play. On a track clearly offering something to bowlers, it was just so easy for them to hit the ball in the air near a silly point or a backward short leg or gully or wherever and run the single.. really, there is a reason i felt sl will not be a great side with this mindset, inspite of having some great players. If you can't bowl out 7 batsmen (only 2 established ones) with your premier spinners on a day 5 track, well........

Loved the reaction of dravid and sachin after the winning runs were hit as well... Shows how much this means to them, the oldest guys in the squad. Augurs well for the australia tests, for me.
    awta.

Banned
    Dhoni was equally defensive.It will not be mentioned because India've won but had they lost - and it looked certain at one point that they would -then questions would have been asked.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Dhoni was equally defensive.It will not be mentioned because India've won but had they lost - and it looked certain at one point that they would -then questions would have been asked.
    He had BY FAR the worse bowling attack though.. Not that it gets him off but at least it is something to consider.. Sanga HAD to go for the kill.. He could have won 2-0... Was he thinking this would end a draw, really?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    He had BY FAR the worse bowling attack though.. Not that it gets him off but at least it is something to consider.. Sanga HAD to go for the kill.. He could have won 2-0... Was he thinking this would end a draw, really?
    True,Ind def. had the worse bowling attack by a long way and that's saying a lot consdering the SL bowlers aside from Malinga had what,20 odd tests between them?

Sanga was def too defensive.I reckon he took it for granted that the pitch would do the job sooner or later.Never rated him as captain,tbh.He will be severely tested even at home w/o Murali.

Think we need to cut Sanga some slack as he and his team adjust to life without Murali. We saw Ponting going through the same thing - when the entire time that you've been captain, you've had the option of throwing the ball to McGrath and Warne, or to Murali, and then that stops being the case, it's going to take you a while to adjust.

SL and Sanga will find it hard, like Australia did when our champion bowlers retired, but, like us, they'll also adjust and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Errr because he was the man of the match? It's not Under 12s; it shouldn't be about sharing it around!

See my second sentence.
    Yea, a century plus 4/59 is a very decent effort. Definitely should have been Sehwag. Bowling gets shafted again from these awards.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Sri Lanka was better side in Test series: Sangakkara - Hindustan Times

Haha. Give it a break Sanga. The series is over. 1-1. Honors even FFS. No need for mental games afterwards.

Sanga is a lousy captain. No complaints about his batting but some of his captaincy decisions were ridiculous. Embarassingly poor. Mahela was so much better.

As for the fielding, some very very vital catches were dropped at key junctures in the game. Considering that we're generally good in the field, I think its poor by our standards.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Runners are stupid.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Sri Lanka was better side in Test series: Sangakkara - Hindustan Times

Haha. Give it a break Sanga. The series is over. 1-1. Honors even FFS. No need for mental games afterwards.
    He hasn't really said anything wrong there or anything worthy of being called mind-games TBH.

Obviously, it's a drawn series but it probably feels like a loss for him.. I know, because we were in the same position against Pakistan and England in 2005 and 2006.
    Last edited by vcs; 07-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Thread Information