• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gripping Averages Battle - Who Will Win?

howardj

International Coach
It's pretty interesting, the battle between these three giants:

SR Tendulkar (1989-2010) 13 447 @ 55.56
JH Kallis (1995-2010) 11 083 @ 55.13
PT Ponting (1995-2010) 11 928 @ 55.22

Who will win the averages battle and why?

And who do you think is the best player (although this question could degenerate into a bit of a dog's breakfast).

Quaggas

State Captain
Per cricinfo, Smith: "Kallis has one of the most valuable players to have ever played the game." Stiff competition, one feels.

Gavaskar has called for wickets to suit Tendy so he can pass 50 test hundreds, Ponting tends to play or the team so I dont think he will. Kallis plays for the averages so I think he is the only one to have a chance of passing Tendulkar.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gavaskar has called for wickets to suit Tendy so he can pass 50 test hundreds, Ponting tends to play or the team so I dont think he will. Kallis plays for the averages so I think he is the only one to have a chance of passing Tendulkar.
You're a disgrace.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tendulkar obviously does not play for the team, then. 8-)

and Source on Gavaskar's comments?

Woodster

International Captain
Per cricinfo, Smith: "Kallis has one of the most valuable players to have ever played the game." Stiff competition, one feels.
Tbf, someone who averages over 55 in Tests and over 45 in ODI's with the bat, and has currently scored over 21,000 international runs to go along with his 264 Test wickets and 254 ODI victims and 156 Test catches (115 in ODI's), has to have made one of the biggest contributions to his national side, ever. That is the whole Kallis package though, rather than just his batting capabilities.

Quaggas

State Captain
Tbf, someone who averages over 55 in Tests and over 45 in ODI's with the bat, and has currently scored over 21,000 international runs to go along with his 264 Test wickets and 254 ODI victims and 156 Test catches (115 in ODI's), has to have made one of the biggest contributions to his national side, ever. That is the whole Kallis package though, rather than just his batting capabilities.
Agree.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting on the way down it seems, so probably won't be him. Would back Kallis personally, though if Sachin keeps going as he's done recently, who knows.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That didnt work, I still think the same.
Wouldn't bother trying to change the opinion of bigoted pricks like you. Your views are set in stone.

I just intend on having a crack on you every time, so get used to it or put me on ignore. :happy:

Sir Alex

Banned
Wow. I never knew Sunny had enough connections to ensure pitches in Australia could be prepared the way Sachin wants them to be.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Two years ago:
Ponting 10099 @ 58.37
Kallis 9657 @ 57.14
Tendulkar 11782 @ 55.31

This time last year:
Ponting 10960 @ 56.20
Kallis 10277 @ 54.66
Tendulkar 12773 @ 54.58

Today: (change in 2 years)
Tendulkar 13447 @ 55.56*(+.25)
Ponting 11928 @ 55.22 (-3.15)
Kallis 11083 @ 55.13 (-2.01)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Would love seeing Ponting's and Kallis' averages after they had two decade long careers to be honest.