• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gripping Averages Battle - Who Will Win?

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why is Bradman even being discussed in a thread about great current batsmen? A great batsman no doubt but seeing him pop up in just about every thread about batting on any cricket forum you care to mention makes me cringe at the mention of his name. I eagerly await the day that people stop trying to compare across generations, it doesn't work.

As for the current batsmen, any ones guess as to who ends up with the better average but for what its worth Tendulkar and Ponting edge out Kallis when you examine their batting records more closely.

kingkallis

International Coach
Tbf, someone who averages over 55 in Tests and over 45 in ODI's with the bat, and has currently scored over 21,000 international runs to go along with his 264 Test wickets and 254 ODI victims and 156 Test catches (115 in ODI's), has to have made one of the biggest contributions to his national side, ever. That is the whole Kallis package though, rather than just his batting capabilities.
+ Highest amount of MoMs in test matches 8-)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar has called for wickets to suit Tendy so he can pass 50 test hundreds, Ponting tends to play or the team so I dont think he will. Kallis plays for the averages so I think he is the only one to have a chance of passing Tendulkar.
Wow really?? :-O :-O

Tbf, someone who averages over 55 in Tests and over 45 in ODI's with the bat, and has currently scored over 21,000 international runs to go along with his 264 Test wickets and 254 ODI victims and 156 Test catches (115 in ODI's), has to have made one of the biggest contributions to his national side, ever. That is the whole Kallis package though, rather than just his batting capabilities.

Word! Perhaps South Africa's greatest cricket, if not in terms of talent, then in terms of acheivement.

OT slightly, but I was having a discussion with a friend of mine (Indian living in Australia) who is quite learned about cricket and he was saying how he and a few friends were having a discussion about Tendulkar and Bradman and three out of the four of them (including him) said they rate Tendulkar slightly better than Bradman.

This dead set knocked me over. I find it amazing that some people would actually have this opinion, regardless of bias.

Suffice to say I stabbed his eye balls out with a fork.

:laugh::laugh:

See this does not surprise me.. Bradman played about 80 years ago... How many of the current cricket fans have watched him play?? Even I havent watched him play....Passion for cricket, being a reader and lack of a proper social life meant I bothered to read stuff and find out about him..otherwise maybe I would have the same opinion too..
People tend to base their opinions on what they see..and what they dont see, doesnt exist.
The best argument is always the stats in this case. Whoever they want to bring in, Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, whoever...just throw the 40 run difference in average between them and the great one, That should shut them up.