• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gripping Averages Battle - Who Will Win?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think the 99.94 is enough said though. Yes that makes him better, but when you read more about Bradman, his average isn't even the best thing. Some of the situations in which he played his knocks is what is so ****ing brilliant :-O

Could be the best sportsman ever.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the 99.94 is enough said though. Yes that makes him better, but when you read more about Bradman, his average isn't even the best thing. Some of the situations in which he played his knocks is what is so ****ing brilliant :-O

Could be the best sportsman ever.
Statistically he is.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I really doubt it. Unless Australia was really struggling
He topped Bombay's runscoring charts at 15(No Mean feat), scored centuries in his FC, Irani Trophy, Duleep trophy and Ranji Trophy debuts, he was absolutely immense. Think any country would give their best FC player a run with the national team at least.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Personally cannot fathom how anyone can think Tendulkar is better than Bradman. 99.94. 'nuff said
TBF, since Tendulkar is arguably not even the best of his generation, that assertion is ridiculous because it also suggests the likes of Ponting/Lara/Richards/Chappell/etc are just as good as Bradman.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He topped Bombay's runscoring charts at 15(No Mean feat), scored centuries in his FC, Irani Trophy, Duleep trophy and Ranji Trophy debuts, he was absolutely immense. Think any country would give their best FC player a run with the national team at least.
Yeh but Australian FC >> Indian FC. And still, there have been many great batsmen like Hayden, Hussey, Langer and countless others who had been imperious at FC level but had to wait a long time. Simply being very good at that level is not enough in Australia.

Ponting himself is a prodigy, achieving similar feats to Tendulkar, and was earmarked for the Australian test team. Yet he had to wait till he was 20 to get his shot. As GS has said, unless Australia were absolutely desperate it's doubtful Tendulkar would have made his debut as he did for India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not that soon though.. I mean, obviously Sachin was special, but I am sure there are a big number of guys who made 100s on debut in all the premium domestic tourneys of their nation and then went on to be duds....

Say what you will, Sachin having the backing of blokes like Gavaskar was just as big a reason for him getting a run this quick in the national team as his talent... I believe they once showed a letter written by Gavaskar to Sachin telling that he "will" be picked for the Pak tour in 89 and he needs to be up for it and all that... That program was Amul Surabhi??? I forget that.. Obviously, it happened when I was very young, so can't trust my memory completely but I do seem to remember this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not that soon though.. I mean, obviously Sachin was special, but I am sure there are a big number of guys who made 100s on debut in all the premium domestic tourneys of their nation and then went on to be duds....

Say what you will, Sachin having the backing of blokes like Gavaskar was just as big a reason for him getting a run this quick in the national team as his talent... I believe they once showed a letter written by Gavaskar to Sachin telling that he "will" be picked for the Pak tour in 89 and he needs to be up for it and all that... That program was Amul Surabhi??? I forget that.. Obviously, it happened when I was very young, so can't trust my memory completely but I do seem to remember this.
Digressing by a long way, I seem to see a LOT of Ponting in Virat Kohli.. Bit of that technique, the swagger, the approach, the fielding.. Anyone else agree?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The winner will probably be the one who retires first before a late dip in form over the last year of their career drops their average down by a run or so.Which one that is going to be i have no idea but Ponting having done everything in cricket might decide to walk away if Australia won the ashes and World Cup this winter.

Sir Alex

Banned
OT slightly, but I was having a discussion with a friend of mine (Indian living in Australia) who is quite learned about cricket and he was saying how he and a few friends were having a discussion about Tendulkar and Bradman and three out of the four of them (including him) said they rate Tendulkar slightly better than Bradman.

This dead set knocked me over. I find it amazing that some people would actually have this opinion, regardless of bias.

Suffice to say I stabbed his eye balls out with a fork.
Sachin is better than Bradman na? :ph34r:

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeh but Australian FC >> Indian FC. And still, there have been many great batsmen like Hayden, Hussey, Langer and countless others who had been imperious at FC level but had to wait a long time. Simply being very good at that level is not enough in Australia.

Ponting himself is a prodigy, achieving similar feats to Tendulkar, and was earmarked for the Australian test team. Yet he had to wait till he was 20 to get his shot. As GS has said, unless Australia were absolutely desperate it's doubtful Tendulkar would have made his debut as he did for India.
Those chaps were made to wait because they had no spot. Just like how The likes of Badri were unable to make it to national team due to presence of big 4.

See the boot is on the other foot now. Australia is pushing hardly 20 guys like smith, hughes, josh etc which was unthinkable a few years back.

Sachin was indeed fortuitous to make his debut at such a young age, but it's challenging too because few failures and he could've been consigned to bench forever.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sup bigot?

Edit: Just saw Clapo's post. Whoops.
Be easier if didn't post it in the first place Jono, enough.

Streetwise, you'd do yourself & the mod team a favour by not posting deliberately antagonistic remarks either.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Those chaps were made to wait because they had no spot. Just like how The likes of Badri were unable to make it to national team due to presence of big 4.

See the boot is on the other foot now. Australia is pushing hardly 20 guys like smith, hughes, josh etc which was unthinkable a few years back.

Sachin was indeed fortuitous to make his debut at such a young age, but it's challenging too because few failures and he could've been consigned to bench forever.
The assertion was made that the best FC player would automatically find a place in the Test team. As aforesaid, that's not necessarily been the case. And one that would be 15 would probably be risked likely even less. Also, 20 and 15 are quite different.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Not Ponting, probably. Ponting is an excellent batsman with quick footwork and excellent technique against fast bowlers. This quick footwork is a huge reason for his continued success at the highest level. He has had excellent reflexes to gauge the line and length of a delivery quickly and adjust his footwork accordingly. However, with increasing age his reflexes are going to get affected slightly.

While Kallis and Tendulkar too have this quality to a large extent (any world-class batsman has), this is not the most highlighted point of their batting (especially for Tendulkar). Tendulkar on full flow never gave the impression that he's playing more with the help of his subconscious reflexes than his conscious effort. His batting probably gives the impression of something in between the subconscious approach (e.g. Ponting, Richards etc) and the conscious effort (e.g. Miandad, Dravid). Therefore, I think Tendulkar's (and to an extent Kallis') game will be less affected by increasing age than Ponting.

But personally I feel, between the two, Tendulkar might end up with a better average than Kallis' simply because I don't think Kallis is a batsman of the same quality as Ponting or Tendulkar. This last sentence is a personal opinion, of course, and there's no reason one can't believe otherwise.

TumTum

Banned
Agree with you Weldone, but if there is a batsmen that can prove the critics wrong and change it all in 1 innings, it's Ponting. He's been doing it for most of his career and manages to make big performances when he is perceived down and out. He came back to form in 2002 after a few years of bad form and then did it again after '05 Ashes. He showed glimpses of it at Hobart where he made 290 odd runs just after the Test where people thought the injury from Roach has ended his career. So don't be surprised if he explodes in the upcoming Ashes.

And if Ponting does come back to form, he will easily have the highest average.

Quaggas

State Captain
Think it was a reference to Sir Alex's (?) idea that people who play the game know better than everyone else etc.

Probably wasn't though.
It was (but not Sir Alex), and all very much tongue in cheek. As Woodster nicely points out a little later, it was OT anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I jhave always rated Sachin ahead of Pontng and Ponting well ahead of Kallis as test batsmen... And I won't be surprised if this averages battle went the same way..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think it is between Kallis and Tendulkar. Both are playing extremely well. Tendulkar has averaged as much as 58 in his career and has a slight edge over Kallis but could be any of the two.