• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gripping Averages Battle - Who Will Win?

Wouldn't bother trying to change the opinion of bigoted pricks like you. Your views are set in stone.

I just intend on having a crack on you every time, so get used to it or put me on ignore. :happy:
Yeah my opinion is different to yours, you just have to learn to live with that. I'm sure you come across a lot of bigoted pricks, its in your nature.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep I follow them around.

Don't worry, you'll slip up soon and make a prejudiced post like you have in the past. If you're not banned then CW will have lost the plot.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For those of us who have the merest inkling that Kallis does sometimes play for the red ink, it should be noted he does have a higher percentage of *s in tests (14.46%) than either Sachin (10.70%) or Punter (11.11%).

DingDong

State Captain
Gavaskar has called for wickets to suit Tendy so he can pass 50 test hundreds, Ponting tends to play or the team so I dont think he will. Kallis plays for the averages so I think he is the only one to have a chance of passing Tendulkar.
how does playing for the team make u score less centuries?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When you are not as good as the player you are being compared to. :p
haha, zing!

Seriously, Ponting's set for a big next year or two so I back him. Reckon Tendulkar will do enough to maintain his standard, though so it'll be close.

benchmark00

OT slightly, but I was having a discussion with a friend of mine (Indian living in Australia) who is quite learned about cricket and he was saying how he and a few friends were having a discussion about Tendulkar and Bradman and three out of the four of them (including him) said they rate Tendulkar slightly better than Bradman.

This dead set knocked me over. I find it amazing that some people would actually have this opinion, regardless of bias.

Suffice to say I stabbed his eye balls out with a fork.

TumTum

Banned
Seriously, Ponting's set for a big next year or two so I back him. Reckon Tendulkar will do enough to maintain his standard, though so it'll be close.
When Ponting made the 99 and 101 against SA in 2008, had an frustrating tour of SA but still in great touch and then the 150 in Cardiff i thought he would remain just as dominating for many years to come. But ever since that 2nd Test in Adelaide, he looks more like being destined to get out, still got all the shots but the mentality has changed from Ponting > Bowlers to Bowlers > Ponting.

Stop stabbing Indians :ph34r:

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't bother trying to change the opinion of bigoted pricks like you. Your views are set in stone.

I just intend on having a crack on you every time, so get used to it or put me on ignore. :happy:
Play the post and not the poster thanks Jono, you know better than that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
OT slightly, but I was having a discussion with a friend of mine (Indian living in Australia) who is quite learned about cricket and he was saying how he and a few friends were having a discussion about Tendulkar and Bradman and three out of the four of them (including him) said they rate Tendulkar slightly better than Bradman.

This dead set knocked me over. I find it amazing that some people would actually have this opinion, regardless of bias.

I bet he was like 'lol modern cricket soooooooooooo much harder'

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Not a jury in the land would convict.

Bizarre tho. I've banged on at tedious length about how comparisons across generations are a bit invidious and that mastery over one's peers is the best any sportsman can reasonably hope, but given SIr Donald's stats are so much better than Sachin's (and everyone else's) it's a strange view to hold. The clincher for me is that many of Bradman's near contemporaries have similar averages to Sachin give or take a few runs (Hobbs, Headley, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Hutton, etc), but no-one ever has got within shouting distance of the great man.

I think cases can be made that any of the other greats are better than one another, but The Don is the nonpareil.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But to a lot of these people, Bradman is just an average. An amazing average, but still only 99.94.

Sure these guys may be reasonably educated in cricket, but they don't know the awesomeness of some of his knocks. They don't know his career properly, so that plus their bias just results in them thinking Sachin is better because they watched him, whereas Bradman is just a black and white myth who only played against a few countries.

That being said, Nasser Hussain, who is most definitely educated in cricket terms, also holds the view that Sachin was better than Bradman, so you should probably stab his eyeballs too :ph34r:

Sure these guys may be reasonably educated in cricket, but they don't know the awesomeness of some of his knocks. They don't know his career properly, so that plus their bias just results in them thinking Sachin is better because they watched him, whereas Bradman is just a black and white myth who only played against a few countries.

:
Tendulkar fans biased, wash your mouth out.

Burgey

Would love seeing Ponting's and Kallis' averages after they had two decade long careers to be honest.
Then let them start at 16. You can't say that. Ridiculous.

Anyway, thread needs a poll, with an irrelevant 4th option. Can a mod please add:

"Who is the best player (batting only)?

A. Ponting
B. Tendulkar
C. Kallis
D. (Hmm, scratching for an original 4th option, uncontroversial. Got it!!) Lara.

And why?"

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I feel that many fans which hold that opinion can't actually fathom someone being so much better than modern day greats that they therefore attempt to downplay the feats of those before them.

If that makes sense...

Teja.

Global Moderator
Then let them start at 16. You can't say that. Ridiculous.

Anyway, thread needs a poll, with an irrelevant 4th option. Can a mod please add:

"Who is the best player (batting only)?

A. Ponting
B. Tendulkar
C. Kallis
D. (Hmm, scratching for an original 4th option, uncontroversial. Got it!!) Lara.

And why?"
Genuine Question, How did Ponting do in his first first-class season as a teenager? Topped the run-scoring charts of his FC team, I assume? The way Tendulkar was playing FC Cricket when he was 15, whichever country he belonged to, he would have gotten a national team chance. Whether he would have been sent back after not making a huge mark in his first series if he played for another country is another question though.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Personally cannot fathom how anyone can think Tendulkar is better than Bradman. 99.94. 'nuff said

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Genuine Question, How did Ponting do in his first first-class season as a teenager? Topped the run-scoring charts of his FC team, I assume? The way Tendulkar was playing FC Cricket when he was 15, whichever country he belonged to, he would have gotten a national team chance. Whether he would have been sent back after not making a huge mark in his first series if he played for another country is another question though.
I really doubt it. Unless Australia was really struggling