• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we have more 20-20 League's like IPL & if yes where are such league's possible

jashan83

U19 Captain
Should we have more 20-20 League's like IPL & if yes where are such league's possible

IPL definitely has altered the Cricket in many ways. Positive or Negative is always for debate. But IPL alone should not be the sole powerful league in the world. It will create a great imbalance. In my view as IPL seems here to stay, I would favour more such league's. In my view more such league's can be possible at

1.) England :-
Franchisee model in England & Wales. If they want they can add 3 4 teams from Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands & Denmark. Though the second option will seem very unlikely. ECB had announced a rival to IPL but the plans seemed to have struck

2.) Southern Hemisphere:-
There is a proposed league with Teams from Aus, SA & NZ. I read about it a long time back. If it can work out it would be really a quality league with High Cricketing Standards

3.) Pakistan:-
Cricket is really popular and the league is bound to be popular locally. But unstable political conditions and less chance of economic match to IPL will make it more of a internal league. View's from **** people on Cricketweb are welcome

4.) Sri Lanka:-
Cannot match IPL

5.) West Indies:-
Stanford 20 20 was an initiative. Again it will never match the economic clout as equal to IPL, English or Southern Hemisphere league

6.)USA:-
Many people feel that 20-20 has great opportunity in USA. There are many optimists and pessimists on the issue.But the truth is if 20 20 pics up even because of South Asian & West Indian Diaspora it will have huge money in it.

I hope any of these league picks up and rival the monopoly of IPL on world cricket which over long term will just kill cricket.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
IPL definitely has altered the Cricket in many ways. Positive or Negative is always for debate. But IPL alone should not be the sole powerful league in the world. It will create a great imbalance. In my view as IPL seems here to stay, I would favour more such league's. In my view more such league's can be possible at

1.) England :-
Franchisee model in England & Wales. If they want they can add 3 4 teams from Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands & Denmark. Though the second option will seem very unlikely. ECB had announced a rival to IPL but the plans seemed to have struck

2.) Southern Hemisphere:-
There is a proposed league with Teams from Aus, SA & NZ. I read about it a long time back. If it can work out it would be really a quality league with High Cricketing Standards

3.) Pakistan:-
Cricket is really popular and the league is bound to be popular locally. But unstable political conditions and less chance of economic match to IPL will make it more of a internal league. View's from **** people on Cricketweb are welcome

4.) Sri Lanka:-
Cannot match IPL

5.) West Indies:-
Stanford 20 20 was an initiative. Again it will never match the economic clout as equal to IPL, English or Southern Hemisphere league

6.)USA:-
Many people feel that 20-20 has great opportunity in USA. There are many optimists and pessimists on the issue.But the truth is if 20 20 pics up even because of South Asian & West Indian Diaspora it will have huge money in it.

I hope any of these league picks up and rival the monopoly of IPL on world cricket which over long term will just kill cricket.
Ew no. One is enough, thanks. I hate domestic/franchise cricket, it really doesn't work.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Ew no. One is enough, thanks. I hate domestic/franchise cricket, it really doesn't work.
Even I hated it but the matter of fact is IPL is here to stay. If something will not come up to rival it, it ll kill cricket, that is for sure :unsure:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Even I hated it but the matter of fact is IPL is here to stay. If something will not come up to rival it, it ll kill cricket, that is for sure :unsure:
so in order to stop 20/20 leagues from killing cricket we create more 20/20 leagues.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Pointless idea.

The thread starter has suggested all these hypothetical mega-leagues but only because cricket is going to die by the hand of the IPL.

Is cricket really going to die due to IPL? How does more pointless T20 contests fix this non-existent issue?

jashan83

U19 Captain
Pointless idea.

The thread starter has suggested all these hypothetical mega-leagues but only because cricket is going to die by the hand of the IPL.

Is cricket really going to die due to IPL? How does more pointless T20 contests fix this non-existent issue?
Southern Hemisphere league

Southern Hemisphere T20 Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia & other links in the page

England
Friends Provident t20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pakistan
Pakistan Super League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Indies
Stanford 20/20 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sri Lanka
Search on Google. Some idea's proposed by Arvinda Da Silva

USA
American Premier League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also on google some other articles to establish 20 20 league by USACA

All are real prospects. In future may be international cricket reduces and these matches increases. Who knows. Then if IPL is the only league which becomes a 12 14 team tournament then imagine the good players of say NZ being taken by IPL. Then soon over time interest in other nations wanes out. That's the real threat of IPL and the new culture it has started :huh:

Kensashi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tournaments like the IPL creates a platform for people from non test playing countries to develop an interest in Cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When are they all going to be played FFS?

I mean come on. You're proposing so many of the bloody things that there won't be room for anything else.

Then you just have people playing for playing's sake, and not to use it as a vehicle for obtaining higher honours.

The IPL I'm sure is riveting to a lot of people, and it's likely here to stay until someone in Nepal invents 10-10. But honestly, who really can be bothered trying to remember whether one franchise or whatever they're called beat someone else in round 2 2009? The more of those sorts of tourneys we see, the less meaningful it will all become, not more.

jashan83

U19 Captain
When are they all going to be played FFS?

I mean come on. You're proposing so many of the bloody things that there won't be room for anything else.

Then you just have people playing for playing's sake, and not to use it as a vehicle for obtaining higher honours.

The IPL I'm sure is riveting to a lot of people, and it's likely here to stay until someone in Nepal invents 10-10. But honestly, who really can be bothered trying to remember whether one franchise or whatever they're called beat someone else in round 2 2009? The more of those sorts of tourneys we see, the less meaningful it will all become, not more.
I m not proposing anything. These have been proposed by the respective boards. I am here on a forum to discuss them. But I get a feeling people just like to discuss FIFA WC on Cricketweb. Why is it called a Cricket web if more threads are on FIFA rather than ICC :).

If nepal invents 10-10 and replaces IPL, that known as innovation. ODI was an innovation otherwise with test cricket, I m sure cricket would have been dead for sure. To survive in this competitive world innovation is a must.

Burgey

@ jashan, post #20:

There is a sub-forum for the WC, just as there is for Site Discussion.

There isn't, however, in any way a sub-forum called Off Topic. That link goes nowhere. By no means should you feel in anyway compelled to click on it.

But yes, it's true that the introduction of 10-10 would be innovation, but that doesn't make too much of it a good thing. The problem is, I think, and look I'm likely wrong - that too much T20 will kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Moreover, there isn't that much money in a lot of the places proposing these leagues, so query whether the best players will be attracted to them, let alone be there at all when their international duties call them away. If the best players aren't there, the crowds simply will not come. They may for a very short while, but once the novelty of the format itself passes, then they won't because they won't be getting good product.

And fwiw, and it's only my personal view, T20 is the least interesting of the formats. It's like a late night knee trembler compared with the full-on 5 day, 7 hours per day boudoir session that is Test cricket - sure, it might be gratifying, but does it really MEAN anything?*

* Sorry about the last bit, my mind may have been elsewhere.

Last edited:

jashan83

U19 Captain
@ jashan, post #20:

There is a sub-forum for the WC, just as there is for Site Discussion.

There isn't, however, in any way a sub-forum called Off Topic. That link goes nowhere. By no means should you feel in anyway compelled to click on it.

But yes, it's true that the introduction of 10-10 would be innovation, but that doesn't make too much of it a good thing. The problem is, I think, and look I'm likely wrong - that too much T20 will kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Moreover, there isn't that much money in a lot of the places proposing these leagues, so query whether the best players will be attracted to them, let alone be there at all when their international duties call them away. If the best players aren't there, the crowds simply will not come. They may for a very short while, but once the novelty of the format of itself passes, then they won't because they won't be getting good product.

And fwiw, and it's only my personal view, T20 is the least interesting of the formats. It's like a late night knee trembler compared with the full-on 7 hour boudoir session that is Test cricket - sure, it might be gratifying, but does it really MEAN anything?*

Sorry about the last bit, my mind may have been elsewhere.
Hey Burgey I totally agree with your view point. But I only differ on one point, if IPL is the only league that would be like monopoly with BCCI flexing it's muscle everytime. Hence there should always be equal and opposite forces. In my view point there should be a strong league (If not 20-20 than Pro 35, anything) that should have the muscle to oppose IPL and not allow it to bulldoze everything.

As in the first thread, my question is which region has the muscle to oppose it :)

Burgey

Truth be told mate, I don't think any do. Money talks, bull**** walks, as the saying goes.

There's a window set aside for it now, it's the biggest league, was the first of them, and has the population base to support it long term.

See, I don't know that anyone really worries that the IPL might be giving India too much power, in the sense that if one nation gets too much power, it wont be because it runs a tourney, it's because they have the cabbage. The tourney is a product of that, not the cause of it.

So really, in a way, a lot of the Boards should (petty jealousy aside) be grateful the IPL gives their players a chance to earn really good cash, has a discrete time frame set aside, and allows their players (for the most part, certain individuals aside) to play for country and franchise.

I should, however, say that I think the time set aside for it is too long - it should be shortened by say a couple of weeks, if that's at all possible.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Truth be told mate, I don't think any do. Money talks, bull**** walks, as the saying goes.

There's a window set aside for it now, it's the biggest league, was the first of them, and has the population base to support it long term.

See, I don't know that anyone really worries that the IPL might be giving India too much power, in the sense that if one nation gets too much power, it wont be because it runs a tourney, it's because they have the cabbage. The tourney is a product of that, not the cause of it.

So really, in a way, a lot of the Boards should (petty jealousy aside) be grateful the IPL gives their players a chance to earn really good cash, has a discrete time frame set aside, and allows their players (for the most part, certain individuals aside) to play for country and franchise.

I should, however, say that I think the time set aside for it is too long - it should be shortened by say a couple of weeks, if that's at all possible.
Nice point I must say. You gave me a new point to think about IPL :). Until now have been really negative about it.

But the time shortening isn't seeming to be possible :( . From 2011 2 more Franchisee's have been added (Pune & Kochi) and the no of matches will be increased to 90 from 56.
An way the indian politicians behave I am sure over 2 3 years due to political pressure from Cities with no franchisee's (Eg:- Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Indore, Guwahati and so on) will force BCCI (Who is now controlled by politicians) to add more franchisee and make it even longer. That's how India is operated. Just adding another realistic point

Last edited:

Burgey

I suppose if they add bulk franchises, they may be able to come up with a system where they play each other only once (it's twice now isn't it?)

But if they have too many, surely the talent pool will get then?

jashan83

U19 Captain
I suppose if they add bulk franchises, they may be able to come up with a system where they play each other only once (it's twice now isn't it?)

But if they have too many, surely the talent pool will get then?
For 2011 it's again twice only. That is why 45 X 2 = 90 League Games. I read somewhere by 2013 or 2014 they plan to take it to 12 Franchisee's. That would mean 68 X 2= 136 Matches :( .

Talent pool is enough. I mean, foreign players are allowed at 9 per team. 9 * 12 = 108 players. If we take the test sides and they have say 15 players in squad, that makes it 135 players besides the Indian team available for them. Then second line players in Aus or SA are good (Shaun Marsh was a good find for Punjab). Then in India there are 18 Ranji teams (State Teams) plus the junior players. Be it 8 or 10 or 12 there won't be a major change in quality of cricket. At present in playing 11 only 4 foreign players are allowed. So at any point good 36 players (12 X 4) will always be available to make things competitive.

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
I even don't like IPL and you want 4-5 more leagues. I prepared to have dust bin to throw league news.

pskov

International 12th Man
Just have the IPL hosted outside of India every now and then. Worked really well when it was in South Africa, it would be great if it was played in England or in Aus/NZ one year. Of course politics will mean an eminently sensible suggestion like that will never happen.