• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we promote Regional Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Hello should we promote cricket in form of regional tournaments like

ASIA CUP
1. India
2. Pakistan
3. Sri Lanka
4. Bangladesh
5. Afghanistan
6. UAE
7. Honk Kong
8. Oman

AFRICA CUP
1. South Africa
2. Zimbabwe
3. Kenya
4. Namibia
5. Uganda
6. Tanzania

EURO CUP
1. England
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. Netherlands
5. Denmark
6. Wales (A separate team for tournament)

AMERICAS CUP
1. West Indies
2. Canada
3. USA
4. Bermuda
5. Argentina
6. Cayman Islands

OCEANIA CUP
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. Papua New Guinea
4. Fiji

These tournaments will help spread cricket at regional level. "We can say think globally act locally". I have put the non test teams based on present ICC ranking. Obviously the ICC tournaments should be used as a mode for qualification

"Also the hosts for these tournaments can be the associate nations". This would help in developing infrastructure and also spreading the appeal. Yes some associates alone can be not able to hold the whole tournament like say Fiji or Nepal. Then obviously the Test nations can step in and share the load. The test Nations would always be happy to host such tournaments.

What say all?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Only Asia cup will provide comprtition. in other groups, there's only one clear winner, and you can back 99 out of 100 for them to win.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Asia cup is a given, Africa cup isn't too bad an idea, and European cup is feasible. Can't see the others working at all.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Asia cup is a given, Africa cup isn't too bad an idea, and European cup is feasible. Can't see the others working at all.
The Americas is a crucial region. They can probably spice up the thing in not so feasible region by calling a guest team from other continents. Like in Copa America (South American Football Cup) 2 teams from other regions are invited (Even Japan have been invited). If the guest wins he can drop the cup for runner's up. These tournaments can really help to spread cricket in these regions. Imagine a Americas cup hosted by USA and Indian Team is invited and plays across, the Indian Diaspora will definitely come to cheer them up.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait for those gripping matches between Fiji and New Zealand, not to mention Australia and the force of Papua New Guinea...IMO your idea compromises top teams who shouldn't have to face (on a regular basis if you're promoting the idea of tournaments) teams well below their level.

jashan83

U19 Captain
As already said call Pakistan or India for that Tournament. The tournament has a life and you extend some exposure to people who are really starved for it. It's better than have 5 match ODI series

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't fathom your first two sentences - the tournament has a life, really? - but give me a 5 match series between New Zealand and Australia any day than having to face the mighty Fiji and Papua New Guinea...not sure how you'd argue against that.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Again it comes back to the same discussion we had over other threads. Risk is something that people need to take. Cricket was so rigid with Tests and all it never spread. As it became more flexible it spread. It boils down to the same thing. In Rugby haven't the teams of Somao and PNG developed and Pacific Cup held. Develop cricket and maybe over time Cricket will also have decent competition. We need to take risks.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
As already said call Pakistan or India for that Tournament. The tournament has a life and you extend some exposure to people who are really starved for it. It's better than have 5 match ODI series
I'd much prefer a 5 match ODI series over a bunch of group games between a major nation versus the minnows. Some countries mentioned above are simply so far below International standard. Would turn our game into a farce and likely destroy some of the great records set through time.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
PNG you're thinking of rugby league rather than union. Rugby's a different beast to cricket, as is football - many of the Island rugby players feature in New Zealand and European competitions and theres always been a culture in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, etc. towards rugby. They get matches because their players are of a high enough quality, and so they can demand matches against the top sides in the world, and indeed compete at the World Cup. And if they get belted by 60 points in the World Cup, its all over in 80 minutes (or 90 minutes for football). Fiji getting smashed by 400 runs to Australia every "regional tournament" after Australia post 500 in their 50 overs is pointless and a waste of time by compromising the top nations' players - they're better than that. Let the smaller nations develop and when they're at a high enough level (e.g. Afghanistan), grant them international status, as is the current case. Its not perfect, but its a heck of a lot better than what you're suggesting.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Well it's all about developing the culture. It ll not develop on it's own. Well I got your view point and I have mine. I feel my way is better and the same applies for you. Both of us talking will make no good. Let other people put in their views then we both can form our views which may be in either direction- yours or mine :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It MIGHT work out if you limit to T20s and make sure there is some kind of a qualifying tournament before hand and then club the Asia and Oceania as some kind of an Australasia Cup and Europe and America as some EuroAmericas Cup and stuff... Not really sure what would happen with Africa then. Maybe club them with Australasia and call it Austrafrolasia.. lol

But practically, you can't make cricket stronger by having the weaker teams being beaten to pulp.. They need to play more, for sure, but it should be against A sides and other similar developing teams and perhaps they could start competing in the near by big team's domestic leagues...

Shri

Mr. Glass
Could use these tournaments to give emerging players of the test sides a go. Make it mandatory for the test sides to play 5 senior members and 6 youngsters(U19) in these tournaments.

asham87

Cricket Spectator
Hello should we promote cricket in form of regional tournaments like

ASIA CUP
1. India
2. Pakistan
3. Sri Lanka
4. Bangladesh
5. Afghanistan
6. UAE
7. Honk Kong
8. Oman

AFRICA CUP
1. South Africa
2. Zimbabwe
3. Kenya
4. Namibia
5. Uganda
6. Tanzania

EURO CUP
1. England
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. Netherlands
5. Denmark
6. Wales (A separate team for tournament)

AMERICAS CUP
1. West Indies
2. Canada
3. USA
4. Bermuda
5. Argentina
6. Cayman Islands

OCEANIA CUP
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. Papua New Guinea
4. Fiji

These tournaments will help spread cricket at regional level. "We can say think globally act locally". I have put the non test teams based on present ICC ranking. Obviously the ICC tournaments should be used as a mode for qualification

"Also the hosts for these tournaments can be the associate nations". This would help in developing infrastructure and also spreading the appeal. Yes some associates alone can be not able to hold the whole tournament like say Fiji or Nepal. Then obviously the Test nations can step in and share the load. The test Nations would always be happy to host such tournaments.

What say all?
Surely once in 4 years such tournaments can be proposed. And if the Test teams are busy it should be made compulsary to send 5 senior players, 5 team A players and 5 Youth Players in a 15 man squad from top 8 teams. This will make the tournaments more competitive.

asham87

Cricket Spectator
Can't wait for those gripping matches between Fiji and New Zealand, not to mention Australia and the force of Papua New Guinea...IMO your idea compromises top teams who shouldn't have to face (on a regular basis if you're promoting the idea of tournaments) teams well below their level.
Why being so negative mate. You can always have ways to reduce the gap. Just like the one I have proposed in last post. Ok Fiji will loose 99 out of 100 times but while paying any sport, your games improves much more quickly even if play someone stronger. If you play at same level the learning curve is much slow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why being so negative mate. You can always have ways to reduce the gap. Just like the one I have proposed in last post. Ok Fiji will loose 99 out of 100 times but while paying any sport, your games improves much more quickly even if play someone stronger. If you play at same level the learning curve is much slow.
The top sides play enough without wasting their time further.

Regional tournaments won't work because there's too few top sides, the only region in which this would be viable is Asia. Guess what? We already have an Asia Cup.

It might work in Europe if we didn't include England, I'm sure there's already some European tournament though.

hkjain

Cricket Spectator
I personally feel that India should tour Europe and play atleast one game each in Ireland, Netherland, Spain, Franch and Norway.

I want to see their ground. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.