• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

World Traveller
I have read that Ashley Giles role is a containing one in bowling over the wicket into the rough. Well now correct me if I am wrong, you pick bowlers at Test level to take 20 wickets to win the Test, so you pick bowlers bowlers to take the wickets not a containing one.

So I cant work out for the life of mine why he is used in that role. Wouldnt it be more logical to use him in an attacking role? I mean bowling over the wicket, he cant get a batsmen out LBW and if he is too get a wicket, it would more to a poor shot.

Marc, I'm not taking a pot shot at Giles, I cant work out their logic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the containment is an attempt to stifle the batsmen and frustrate them.

Giles isn't a big enough turner on English wickets to attack all the time, so we bowl to the conditions. Some good flat containing spin. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I think the containment is an attempt to stifle the batsmen and frustrate them.

Giles isn't a big enough turner on English wickets to attack all the time, so we bowl to the conditions. Some good flat containing spin. ;)
Jenner turns in his grave:P

Rich2001

International Captain
I listened to an interview with the England coach during the ODI's vs Pakistan when this whole arugment started in the media and he stated that A Glies doesn't bowl around the wicket as he has a small fault in his action that prevents him doing so meaning that although he can do it, he would never be at his best etc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I saw an interview with Gilo on C4 before one of the Tests (the Roadshow) and he responded to the over the wicket criticism by saying that both Duncan and Vaughan agreed that that was the way they planned to use him since they thought it was the best for the team, and being a real team man, he went along with it!

Craig

World Traveller
But what is the point in trying to fustrate batsmen? If he bowled over the wicket he is more threatening.

Rich2001

International Captain
Craig said:
But what is the point in trying to fustrate batsmen? If he bowled over the wicket he is more threatening.
Because in defending your not giving away runs between the wickets he takes, and if you keep a batsman like Tendulkar / Lara quite for more than a ball or two they will try riskier shots to try and get flowing again, therefore giving chances to the field.

Also when you have bowlers the other end who can't contain they just go for wickets, you need someone to tie a end up otherwise your be looking at scores of 400 at the end of day 1, also if his ties an end up means the cap can rotate his paceman for shorther sharper spells rather than being forced to bowl them for longer spells trying to reel the batsman back in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suspect that bowling defensively against Lara on West Indian pitches will not be effective in dismissing him. However, it will keep him quiet, if only temporarily. I expect it would be much the same with Tendulkar. In fact, I don't see most batsmen in world cricket lacking patience so severely that they would get out to Giles in a Test with the way he bowls.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Giles is a decent bowler. He bowled better than pakistani spinners a few years back in Pakistan. And especially considering Pakistan has generally better players of spin than England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I expect it would be much the same with Tendulkar. In fact, I don't see most batsmen in world cricket lacking patience so severely that they would get out to Giles in a Test with the way he bowls.

Erm, who was the first bowler to get him stumped through frustrating him?

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
Giles is a decent bowler. He bowled better than pakistani spinners a few years back in Pakistan. And especially considering Pakistan has generally better players of spin than England.
But considering also that Pakistan has more spin-friendly conditions than England or even Australia...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Except at the SCG or the Adelaide Oval.
Those are only 2 Australian grounds as compared to practically every Pakistani cricket ground which supports spin.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I dont remember the pitches helpiing the spinners muh in that series. And I dont Pakistani pitches help the spinners much, its just a misconception.

The Pak spiners with much bigger reputations, didnt do much against Eng bats who are not really known for playing spin.

Is Tufnell still around? How old is he? Has his action been cleared? on another note, where the hell is Reon King? Mr Mxy you might know this, as you are a WI fan. He was awesome I thought, just like the legends of WI fast bowling.

Craig

World Traveller
Tufers retired at the start of the season. In that series the pitches were dead lifeless wickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.