• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opinion on Scrapping the 50 Over Format?

Scrapping Of 50 Overs Format?

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Hi friends, i knw its not fair to go against a format which entertained us for so long! Being a true cricket lover even i feel sad to bring this topic on my own but lets face reality wen other sports are growing so fast & Cricket is unable to spread its wings one of the main reason being the duration & pace of the game! The world is getting busier day after day in such state u cant expect people to sit & watch a game that's 7 - 8hrs long. Even a sport has to change with the changing environment to survive. How many of u agree 50 Overs had to be scraped... I personally feel 2015 CWC should be the last for 50 Overs format. Its a waste to spend so much investment on a format which no newer fans will be interested in. Pls post ur opinions & Votes???

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
scrap 5 day tests, 3 and 4 day first class games and 50 over matches...we should have t20, t10 and t5 games in their stead...

akilana

International 12th Man
Scrap the 50 overs and the T20 and let's have a four innings of 25 overs. It's similar to test where you can bat twice but a shorter version of it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Scrap England and Australia playing each other incessantly in ODIs.

Scrap NZ having injuries to key personnel during key tournaments or games against Aussie.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't mind ODI's but they are killing it, imo. Need to play less irrelevant ODI's, not more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hi friends, i knw its not fair to go against a format which entertained us for so long! Being a true cricket lover even i feel sad to bring this topic on my own but lets face reality wen other sports are growing so fast & Cricket is unable to spread its wings one of the main reason being the duration & pace of the game! The world is getting busier day after day in such state u cant expect people to sit & watch a game that's 7 - 8hrs long. Even a sport has to change with the changing environment to survive. How many of u agree 50 Overs had to be scraped... I personally feel 2015 CWC should be the last for 50 Overs format. Its a waste to spend so much investment on a format which no newer fans will be interested in. Pls post ur opinions & Votes???
Im not saying Im correct or that everyone should think like me but growing up I would never have considered 'a true cricket fan' caring about ODIs in the slightest.

A day out, knock around entertainment that helped subsidise Tests. Nothing more than that and carrying no real substance. Ive always found it amusing to hear fans of ODIs complaining about T20s as ODIs are not real cricket.

It could be seen as snobbish but I wouldnt say so as everyone I knew thought the same, ODIs were cheap tat that no one with any real claim to being a 'true cricket fan' placed any value in.

Now, T20 is similar to how ODIs were but, IMO, does it better. So yeah. For me 50 over cricket can go. It only existed for a reason and to fill a need and that need doesnt exist anymore. It was never really loved by many. It was a functional format. There will be some that want it due to familiarity and growing up with it but 10 years after it is gone it will be seen as a dinosaur.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No way. Keep it. It's fine as it is. The way forward for the game is not to cannibalise itself.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Until the format becomes unprofitable, it will continue to exist. The limited overs game continues to be a money winner as the game still has plenty of fans.

It will be a great loss the day they scrap the format. 50 over cricket has developed such a strong history now of great wins and the legacy of many players is forged on limited overs performances.

Patroclus

Banned
50 ovs is really boring and is killing the sport

Pro 35 Evolution is the best replacement alongwith World Test Championship and very few T20s

Patroclus

Banned
Until the format becomes unprofitable, it will continue to exist. The limited overs game continues to be a money winner as the game still has plenty of fans.

It will be a great loss the day they scrap the format. 50 over cricket has developed such a strong history now of great wins and the legacy of many players is forged on limited overs performances.
it runs in empty stadiums except in India

just look at soccer