• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opinion on Scrapping the 50 Over Format?

Scrapping Of 50 Overs Format?

• Total voters

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
it runs in empty stadiums except in India

just look at soccer
The amount of fans in a stadium is not a measure of the continued success of ODI's, the fact is fans still watch in great numbers on television. Numbers that are big enough to demand significant television contracts, that generate large sponsorship $$$ and continue to make ODI's a viable format.

...and I think this might be the end of discussing cricket issues with you. Thank you for your time.

Patroclus

Banned
The amount of fans in a stadium is not a measure of the continued success of ODI's, the fact is fans still watch in great numbers on television. Numbers that are big enough to demand significant television contracts, that generate large sponsorship $$$ and continue to make ODI's a viable format.

...and I think this might be the end of discussing cricket issues with you. Thank you for your time.
does it look good to watch plenty of empty seats while a match is going on ???

VB series had to be closed bcoz of low TRPs

its time we think about it

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Make better pitches and see the results for yourself. ODI Cricket has never been more important to bring a balance in cricket then now due to T20 introduction.

I find it extremely biased when people say oh well the middle overs and this and that....the only reason T20 works is because its batsman friendly...to me that's not cricket..that's simply a gig. Real cricket is Test and ODI and it will remain that way because it gives enough time to both teams to compete and reach a fair outcome....

gnieraw

Cricket Spectator
The middle parts of 50 overs are usually very dull with teams taking a single a ball to the deep fielders. It either needs a complete re-vamp with completely new rules or this format will be dead. T20s should stay along with a 2 division test championship.

Australia
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka

West Indies
Pakistan
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe/Kenya/Ireland

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The middle parts of 50 overs are usually very dull with teams taking a single a ball to the deep fielders. It either needs a complete re-vamp with completely new rules or this format will be dead. T20s should stay along with a 2 division test championship.

Australia
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka

West Indies
Pakistan
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe/Kenya/Ireland
The answer lies in 14 overs of continuous spinplay imo.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Scrap 50 overs and just have Tests and 20/20 IMO.
Im not saying Im correct or that everyone should think like me but growing up I would never have considered 'a true cricket fan' caring about ODIs in the slightest.

A day out, knock around entertainment that helped subsidise Tests. Nothing more than that and carrying no real substance. Ive always found it amusing to hear fans of ODIs complaining about T20s as ODIs are not real cricket.

It could be seen as snobbish but I wouldnt say so as everyone I knew thought the same, ODIs were cheap tat that no one with any real claim to being a 'true cricket fan' placed any value in.

Now, T20 is similar to how ODIs were but, IMO, does it better. So yeah. For me 50 over cricket can go. It only existed for a reason and to fill a need and that need doesnt exist anymore. It was never really loved by many. It was a functional format. There will be some that want it due to familiarity and growing up with it but 10 years after it is gone it will be seen as a dinosaur.
AWTA.

ODIs were popular because they were an alternative to the only other form (Test) and a place where you could get drunk and have a nights entertainment with nearly always guaranteed satisfaction of a result. Now that there's a second alternative, ODI is looking a bit of a white elephant.

The only advantage ODI cricket has in my mind, is the World Cup.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Im not saying Im correct or that everyone should think like me but growing up I would never have considered 'a true cricket fan' caring about ODIs in the slightest.

A day out, knock around entertainment that helped subsidise Tests. Nothing more than that and carrying no real substance. Ive always found it amusing to hear fans of ODIs complaining about T20s as ODIs are not real cricket.

It could be seen as snobbish but I wouldnt say so as everyone I knew thought the same, ODIs were cheap tat that no one with any real claim to being a 'true cricket fan' placed any value in.

Now, T20 is similar to how ODIs were but, IMO, does it better. So yeah. For me 50 over cricket can go. It only existed for a reason and to fill a need and that need doesnt exist anymore. It was never really loved by many. It was a functional format. There will be some that want it due to familiarity and growing up with it but 10 years after it is gone it will be seen as a dinosaur.
ODI cricket is loved by 95% of the cricket watching population. (Considering India loves ODIs).

I for one will hate the day ODI cricket is taken of the calender. Change it around a bit (as long as you don't reduce it to a T20 test) and I am fine with that.

Some of the best cricket I have ever watched have been in ODIs. It was ODIs that made me a fan of cricket and they will always be special for me.

What has been ailing ODI cricket is the pitches. Improve them and and pull the boundaries back and you will have some fantastic cricket.

Why do I want ODIs? I want ODIs because T20s are all right to a limit but after a month of IPL more T20s will make me want to cry. T20s leave too much to chance and give nothing more than fleeting thrill.

ODIs provide, what I feel, an ideal platform to show excellence (of course < tests). In a world of T20s, Sachin would not be who he is right now.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Australia
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka

West Indies
Pakistan
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe/Kenya/Ireland
that is actually a brilliant idea.

This allows to to have a proper test championship

More competitive test cricket

An incentive to inefficient cricket boards like Srilanka,Pakistan,West indies to improve their effecincy or they can stay stagnated in tier 2.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
ODI cricket is loved by 95% of the cricket watching population. (Considering India loves ODIs).

I for one will hate the day ODI cricket is taken of the calender. Change it around a bit (as long as you don't reduce it to a T20 test) and I am fine with that.

Some of the best cricket I have ever watched have been in ODIs. It was ODIs that made me a fan of cricket and they will always be special for me.

What has been ailing ODI cricket is the pitches. Improve them and and pull the boundaries back and you will have some fantastic cricket.

Why do I want ODIs? I want ODIs because T20s are all right to a limit but after a month of IPL more T20s will make me want to cry. T20s leave too much to chance and give nothing more than fleeting thrill.

ODIs provide, what I feel, an ideal platform to show excellence (of course < tests). In a world of T20s, Sachin would not be who he is right now.
AWTA completely.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
i know a lot of you are knocking this thread but the rise in popularity of t20 is really devalueing 50 over cricket to such an extent that i have began to doubt it's long term future. as for county cricket the old 40 overs sunday league took some beating.

Xuhaib

International Coach
odi's can survive as long as we can cut down on those 7 matches bilateral series and SL ,India and <inset random team> stop playing unnecessary tri nations tournaments.