• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ddin't have much going for it, that. Outside the line and turning wider. Although not (to my eyes) as much as Hawkeye would have us believe.

All on Morgers now then.
Well, Yardy needs to try and justify is place too. Clearly they think he can play a longer innings then the others, if we're in trouble. Whilst the likes of Wright and Bes go ahead of him, if we've got wickets in hand at the end of the innings.

Not a bad tactic, if he's the right man for the job, which I'm unsure of myself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good stuff from Aust. Pity they didn't play like this when the series was alive, but if they can win this and the last ODI they'll leave not too fussed.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Had a good couple of seasons in OD cricket Yardy. His career figures look very poor, but I think he could do well in this kind of role. Going to need him to make a few today, as we can't rely on Morgan to make 150 of these himself.

social

Had a good couple of seasons in OD cricket Yardy. His career figures look very poor, but I think he could do well in this kind of role. Going to need him to make a few today, as we can't rely on Morgan to make 150 of these himself.
Dont rate him at all tbh which probably means he'll be MOTM

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, Yardy needs to try and justify is place too. Clearly they think he can play a longer innings then the others, if we're in trouble. Whilst the likes of Wright and Bes go ahead of him, if we've got wickets in hand at the end of the innings.

Not a bad tactic, if he's the right man for the job, which I'm unsure of myself.
TBF to Yardy his SMLA darts, whilst not exactly delighting those with a purist's eye, are nearly worth a spot regardless of his batting.

They look really village, but seem to be hard to get away.

social

TBF to Yardy his SMLA darts, whilst not exactly delighting those with a purist's eye, are nearly worth a spot regardless of his batting.

His bowling has been very good and could be useful in India

Spark

Global Moderator
See this is what I don't like about Ponting's captaincy - way too many singles on offer to Smith.

grecian

Well, you say "nearly", I do think the fact the guy is employed by his county mainly as a batter, must mean England have some plan for his batting, too.

Maybe I'm overthinking though.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Don't look like getting wickets right now. If someone does fall it'll be a coincidence. Seems they're just charging through the quota for the 4th/5th bowler right now.

social

Well, you say "nearly", I do think the fact the guy is employed by his county mainly as a batter, must mean England have some plan for his batting, too.

Maybe I'm overthinking though.
He really has a pretty appalling bowling record for his county so I put it down to inspired selection

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A batsman looking better against crap bowlers than good bowlers? Not really something new.

He's still quality.

King Pietersen

International Captain
The question should be, do we need Wright and Bresnan in the same team? Bresnan doesn't offer any more with the ball than Wright (has actually taken fewer wickets in this series than Wright), and then Wright's probably better with the bat. Hopefully when Fred's fit he'll replace Bresnan and we'll bat even deeper. Just hope Fred doesn't come back in expecting to bat in the Top 5, he's not good enough to bat up there anymore. Be happy with Flintoff at 6 and then Wright/Yardy in at 7 depending on the match situation.

:wub: Morgan. WAP.

He really has a pretty appalling bowling record for his county so I put it down to inspired selection
Probably not helped by the fact he bowled left-arm medium-pie for the first few years of his career. Only turned to bowling SLA in the last couple of years. Still hasn't been putting the numbers up in List A's, but his bowling in T20's has been very good, especially last season.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Do they need Wright and Yardy in the same team?
Mr Z to answer... :ph34r:

In all seriousness, Yardy had a really good season with the ball in 2020 last year (without checking I think he might've had the lowest ER of any English qualified slow bowler) and with the slow, low pitches in the Windies he was a reasonable enough pick, IMHO.

With his (& England's) success it was always a fair chance he'd get a go in the longer limited overs format too. Fair guess our only global success ever was going to be a template we stuck with.