• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More Brett Dorey than McGrath, imo.
Already bowling more quickly than Dorey ever did :laugh:

Anyway, says something about the Aussies attitude to this tour that they've picked him

I've heard very good things about him but he's 19 and basically hasnt played - all about the future

King Pietersen

International Captain
Steve Davies is hardly played enough. Perhaps they can try him, but I don't think he has THAT a spectacular OD record to merit selection at the moment ahead of Strauss. Mind you Strauss hasn't been dire. He just hasn't been awesome.
Strauss is never going to be awesome in ODi cricket though, as the technical/mental deficiency where he continues to play those booming drives through the off-side which keep getting him out has crept back into his game. He just cannot help himself, despite the fact he knows that's the shot which was causing him problems in the longer form of the game. He feels he has to play those shots in ODi cricket, and they'll continue to get him out, just as they did in Test cricket.

As for Davies:

2008: 689 runs at 49.21
2009: 658 runs at 50.61
2010: 222 runs at 111.00

Strauss has never averaged as high as that in a List A season in County Cricket. Think someone posted Davies' strike rates in those 3 seasons too, and he was striking at pretty much 100 every season. Davies is a fantastic player, and has scored more than enough runs to warrant selection.

Last edited:

social

Cant believe the kid is a quicker bowler than Anderson or Broad but that's what the speed gun is saying

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss is never going to be awesome in ODi cricket though, as the technical/mental deficiency where he continues to play those booming drives through the off-side which keep getting him out has crept back into his game. He just cannot help himself, despite the fact he knows that's the shot which was causing him problems in the longer form of the game. He feels he has to play those shots in ODi cricket, and they'll continue to get him out, just as they did in Test cricket.

As for Davies:

2008: 689 runs at 49.21
2009: 658 runs at 50.61
2010: 222 runs at 111.00

Strauss has never averaged as high as that in a List A season in County Cricket. Think someone posted Davies' strike rates in those 3 seasons too, and he was striking at pretty much 100 every season. Davies is a fantastic player, and has scored more than enough runs to warrant selection.
117.50 in 2009
112.39 in 2008

132.93 so far this year

Found a bit of form today in the T20 after a bad start to the competition

Last edited:

social

Ehh I worded my post wrong, he sort of ambles in with his huge frame like Dorey, I have no question in my mind that he is actually better than Dorey :ph34r:
Tbf, he does remind meof Dorey so that's a pretty good call

Shame that he didnt really play until he was about 28 as he could've been something if he devoted himself earlier

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pietersen's brilliant ODi form continues then.......Kieswetter the key man here. A big score from him would make us clear favourites.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ordinary shot from KP.

Hint of Tait in the way Hazelwood lumbers up to the crease, IMHO. Arm a lot more perpendicular on release tho.

Watson's mullet getting out of hand too; his mates want to have a quiet word. 'Snot 1987 anymore.

King Pietersen

International Captain
:( Kieswetter gone. Was a very nice innings from him, but TBF to him that was a good delivery. Nipped back a good few inches and kept a tad low. Kieswetter definitely looks a very talented player though, can see him making at least 1 big score in the series.

King Pietersen

International Captain
That's a horrible shot from Collingwood. At least Kieswetter got a decent nut, the other 3 have chucked their wickets away. Relying on Morgan, Wright and Yardy now then.....