• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No doubt Hilfenhaus was the best bowler in Ashes but he is not the bowler many people claim. SA is ideal place for fast bowlers and Hilfenhaus averaged 52 with S/R of 100+ :laugh: in his last tour there.

HowSTAT! Series Analysis
His debut series? Now Hilfenhaus is no world-beater but to judge him on his debut series (in which his figures don't really reflect how well he bowled) is mighty selective.

Noble One

Check Asif stats in his 1st tour to SA.

HowSTAT! Series Analysis
Not sure of the relevance of Asif in an Australia in England tour thread. But anyway, comparing Asif who had been involved in Test cricket for two years with Hilfenhaus on debut is rather misleading.

I get the feeling you will argue your point. Fair enough if you believe Hilfenhaus is overrated, but to compare him with Asif seems rather pointless.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
I get the feeling you will argue your point. Fair enough if you believe Hilfenhaus is overrated, but to compare him with Asif seems rather pointless.
Somebody said that Hilfenhaus is competing with Steyn for top bowler spot. I just posted stats to show where he stands.

Noble One

Somebody said that Hilfenhaus is competing with Steyn for top bowler spot. I just posted stats to show where he stands.
Yes, a statement based on "what if" Hilfenhaus was not injured. A reasonable call to make based on someones judgement. Hilfenhaus wouldn't be in the top 20 Test bowlers currently, but that is not the point anyone was trying to make.

Remember the debut of Asif? He was belted and looked horrid, lucky some selectors have more sense to look past statistics and initial judgements. Turned out a decent bowler hey?

Spark

Global Moderator
Hilfenhaus was decent in SA as well.

It's just that when you have Johnson cracking bones, Siddle in a wicket-taking vein and some less-than-average luck, there's not a whole lot left to pick over.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Hilfenhaus was decent in SA as well.

It's just that when you have Johnson cracking bones, Siddle in a wicket-taking vein and some less-than-average luck, there's not a whole lot left to pick over.
50+ average for a bowler in a series on green tops is rubbish not decent.:laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Generally an obsession with the :laugh: and actually watching the cricket you're arguing about don't seem to go hand in hand.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No one ever said that. Where did you get this from? It was a "where he would be in my opinion if he had not been nagged by injury" scenario.

Xuhaib

International Coach
No doubt Hilfenhaus was the best bowler in Ashes but he is not the bowler many people claim. SA is ideal place for fast bowlers and Hilfenhaus averaged 52 with S/R of 100+ :laugh: in his last tour there.

HowSTAT! Series Analysis
so Aamer averages 42 in test cricket does that mean he should be dropped? When Judging a guy with a small sample size its always better to look what he bowls rather then trust stats blindly.I would be very surprised if Hilf does not average 25-28 in test cricket given he's one of the few genuine out swing bowlers in test cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
so Aamer averages 42 in test cricket does that mean he should be dropped? When Judging a guy with a small sample size its always better to look what he bowls rather then trust stats blindly.I would be very surprised if Hilf does not average 25-28 in test cricket given he's one of the few genuine out swing bowlers in test cricket.
Well, I would think it is always better to look at how someone is bowling full stop. Stats are just a convenience for when we can't actually do that.