• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran
Daylight
Sachin
Murali
Gavaskar
Wasim
Kapil
Miandad
Waqar
Dravid
Kumble

The title of Asia's greatest cricketer comes down nicely between Murali (arguably its greatest bowler), Sachin (its greatest batsman) and Imran (its greatest allrounder/captain). Between them, Imran is a clear winner in my mind. In fact, I dont think its a contest.

I would argue that Imran is very close if not better than Murali as a bowler (my own opinion is that all-time great fast bowlers are generally more penetrative and adaptable than all-time great spinners like Murali/Warne). Even is you argue that Murali is a better bowler due to his mountain of wickets, its not by much, and Imran's batting ability and captaincy then give him a big edge.

Versus Sachin, while Sachin does outscore Imran on talent, I would argue in terms of impact, Dravid and possibly Sehwag have been more influential in India's fortunes. Imran not only had an incomparable impact through his bowling and batting, his captaincy took his influence to a whole other level. He created a legacy that lasted well after he left, and changed the mindset of Pakistan's game. Outside of Sobers and Bradman, its hard to think of a cricketer who changed his team the way Imran did. You can say that Imran has a bit of an advantage given that he is an all-rounder, but I don't see why he should be penalized for that.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Do think it's surprising people are saying Imran -> Daylight -> Murali. Yes, Imran probably should be at number 1, but to suggest that there's daylight between ANY cricketer and Murali is bemusing. I wouldn't say Bradman, Daylight, Murali tbh...

Sir Alex

Banned
1. Murali - His records will NEVER be broken, and at that average. Guaranteed.
2. Sachin
3. Imran - as allround cricketers, they both are amazingly good but perhaps bias is deciding factor here.
4. Gavaskar
5. W1
6. Kumble (tireless champion)
7. Kapil Dev (he is awesome but he was NEVER the go-to option that Kumble was.
8. Dravid
9. Inzamam
10. W2

Himannv

International Coach
Not really in a particular order, just the order that I think of them.

Imran Khan
Muralitharan
Sachin Tendulkar
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Javed Miandad
Aravinda de Silva
Kapil Dev
Sunil Gavaskar
Kumar Sangakkara

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ind:

Sachin Tendulkar
Sunil Gavaskar
Kapil Dev

Pak:

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Javed Miandad

SL:

Aravinda de Silva
Kumar Sangakkara
Muthiah Muralitharan

Last spot is a toss up between:

Kumble, Waqar, Jayawardene, Inzamam, Dravid, Ranatunga etc

Himannv

International Coach
Aravinda, Sanga etc> Dravid?
Dravid should be in the top 10 or at least close to it.

Sanga possibly due to the keeping factor. Keeping wickets and averaging 50+ at no. 3 is no mean feat I'd say.

Aravinda, simply the best batsman Sri Lanka have ever produced IMO. Certainly one of the best ODI batsmen of his era.

Sir Alex

Banned
My word isn't the gospel, stop being so annoying. Too many damn questions no matter where I go these days, irritating.
Don't post then. You expect to get questions if you post in an internet forum understand? Who do you think you are? If you don't want anyone to question you, put everyone else on ignore. OK?

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda, Sanga etc> Dravid?
Sanga is a class act with gloves as well. De Silva is a effective spinner, and the best fielder of the lot. De Silva is in a sperate class in the ODI game when compared to Dravid or Sanga
As test batsman: Dravid > Sangakkara > Aravinda
As ODI batsmen: Aravinda > Dravid > Sangakkara
As Test players: Sangakkara (keeping) > Dravid = Aravinda (bowling, fielding)
As ODI players: Aravinda (bowling, fielding) > Sangakkara (keeping) > Dravid
As batsmen overall: All three are almost euql, perhaps Dravid marginally better
As Players overall: Sangakkara > Aravinda > Dravid

Edit: As batsmen, was copy pasted mistakenly. edited now

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga is a class act with gloves as well. De Silva is a effective spinner, and the best fielder of the lot. De Silva is in a sperate class in the ODI game when compared to Dravid or Sanga
As batsmen overall: Aravinda > Dravid > Sangakkara
Putting a lot of weighting on ODI there, IMO, not to mention ignoring Dravid's own fielding prowess - slips catching isn't easy.

Sir Alex

Banned
As batsmen overall: All three are almost euql, perhaps Dravid marginally better

Edit: As batsmen, was copy pasted mistakenly. edited now
dwta heavy premium on Aravinda's bowling.

But I'd pay to watch Aravinda of the three. Still Dravid > Sangakkara > Aravinda for me overall.