View Poll Results: Do u think WTC should be launched ?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 70.59%
  • No

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Test Championship

Banned

World Test Championship

World Test Championship

Test cricket calender is in a chaos and confusion and so it should be integrated in a single tournament called the World Test Championship.

It will be played on a 4 year basis beginning with the end of 2011 World Cup and end before 2015 ICC World Cup.

It will consist of two leagues.

1.Major League (W.G. Grace Trophy/Bradman Memorial Trophy)

2.League Cup

The Major League will consist of 8 Nations.

Australia
    England
    India
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    West Indies

Each nation will play mandatory 12 Tests per year ( Home & Away basis).

It will include 3/4/5 match serieses not 2 Test serieses.

Thus a nation will play 48 Tests in the Major League.

A nation will score points on winning or drawing a series extra point for away win.

The nation with maximum points will be crowned the Ultimate Test Champions (of the 4 year span).

Test match format will be 5 days 90 ovs per day no such thing as day night match only pure white cricket.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The League Cup will consist of 10 Nations.

Bangladesh
    Zimbabwe
    Ireland
    Canada
    Kenya
    Holland
    Scotland
    Afghanistan/UAE
    Argentina
    Namibia

The format here will be First Class not Test.

Each nation will play mandatory 12 FCs per year ( Home & Away basis).

It will include 3 match serieses not 2 match serieses.

Thus a nation will play 48 FC s in the League Cup.

A nation will score points on winning or drawing a series extra point for away win.

The nation with maximum points will be crowned winner of the Cup.

First Class match format will be 4 days 100 ovs per day no such thing as day night match only pure white cricket.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For point scoring I'd go something like this:

6 points - Away series win
    5 points - Home series win
    3 points - Away series draw
    2 point - Home series draw

And 2 points for every Test match won. So that there is incentive to play even if you are up 4-0 in a 5 Test series. 1 point each for a tie, nothing for a draw to encourage attacking cricket.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner of League Cup will face the bottom team of Major League in a play off series and if the win they will be promoted to the Major League and loser relegated to the League Cup

Or another option is we will add 10 countries to the major league after first 4 years (2 top qualifiers from league cup) then start the relegation system for the next span.

This will make sure that a Nation like West Indies playing tests for years may not get relegated easily.

When England and Australia will play it will be called Ashes and so for other such serieses.

As for Bangladesh i say it is better to win 60 % than lose 98 %.

All the players will be given full time contracts and this will be a good exposure for the associate nations.

This is the ultimate system which can save Test cricket.Please show this to the ICC.
    Last edited by Patroclus; 06-06-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Yeah I like it but would change it slightly.

I wouldn't mind if it's 9 teams that start of, I don't think Bangladesh should be dropped without a chance to stay in the top flight.

I'm also not prepared for one of the top 8 teams to be down in the second division within the next 4 years..

Also Afghanistan should easily be ahead of Argentina!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Yeah I like it but would change it slightly.

I wouldn't mind if it's 9 teams that start of, I don't think Bangladesh should be dropped without a chance to stay in the top flight.

I'm also not prepared for one of the top 8 teams to be down in the second division within the next 4 years..

Also Afghanistan should easily be ahead of Argentina!
    How many tests have BD won xcldng WI & Zim ????

Quote Originally Posted by Patroclus View Post
    How many tests have BD won xcldng WI & Zim ????
    Basically I don't see how it would be good for the game to have any of the top 8 sides out of the top tier in 4 years time.

Bangladesh are very likely to finish last, I just don't think that they should stop playing Test Cricket because a new system is in place. Let them have a go for 4 years and if they finish last they have 'earned' the demotion.

Banned
    Who will do the funding? Because the reason why countries like NZ play less test cricket is because of that and not an inherent unwillingness to play tests.

BTW good effort although a bit utopian imho. Pakistan is no way going to play any home tests in near future. Further a nation like India could schedule (read cope out) a lot of home tests against Australia/ SA etc and schedule away tests against weaker teams and add points.

Or there should be a limit to maximum number of tests against a particular nation.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 06-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I want there to be playoffs with a semifinal and a final. The final would be compelling viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I want there to be playoffs with a semifinal and a final. The final would be compelling viewing.
    yes that is an excellent idea hurricane possibly even a best of 5 finals series.

DingDong who do you think would make the semi finals in Tier 2?

I wonder what Hrithik thinks of this proposal...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Needs more spinplay IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Needs more spinplay IMO.
    what is spinplay IMO ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    do not see much need of that though a special match btw 1 & 2 of both leagues is a possibility

what is spinplay IMO ?
    Read the thread on Pro 35.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

ULTIMATE TEST CHAMPIONS
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

do not see much need of that though a special match btw 1 & 2 of both leagues is a possibility
    In that case I am changing my vote to no. We already have a test "championship" round robin style format. With each team getting points for a victory and the top team in the world getting the best ranking. (India currently being that team).

Banned
    ^Sir Alex

NZL SL & SA will each get a donation of 20 mn just for WTC from ICC BCCI ECB

pak will make dubaisc sharjah abu dhabi kathmandu & dubai anthr stdm their home grounds

it will be 5 mtch serieses only for the followings ind pak aus eng sa wi & nzl sl to keep rivalries alive & 3/4 for others thus india wont have any power i alrdy said abt it plzz read fully

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information