• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Test Championship

Do u think WTC should be launched ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patroclus

Banned
World Test Championship

Test cricket calender is in a chaos and confusion and so it should be integrated in a single tournament called the World Test Championship.

It will be played on a 4 year basis beginning with the end of 2011 World Cup and end before 2015 ICC World Cup.

It will consist of two leagues.

1.Major League (W.G. Grace Trophy/Bradman Memorial Trophy)

2.League Cup

The Major League will consist of 8 Nations.

Australia
England
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
South Africa
West Indies

Each nation will play mandatory 12 Tests per year ( Home & Away basis).

It will include 3/4/5 match serieses not 2 Test serieses.

Thus a nation will play 48 Tests in the Major League.

A nation will score points on winning or drawing a series extra point for away win.

The nation with maximum points will be crowned the Ultimate Test Champions (of the 4 year span).

Test match format will be 5 days 90 ovs per day no such thing as day night match only pure white cricket.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The League Cup will consist of 10 Nations.

Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Canada
Kenya
Holland
Scotland
Afghanistan/UAE
Argentina
Namibia

The format here will be First Class not Test.

Each nation will play mandatory 12 FCs per year ( Home & Away basis).

It will include 3 match serieses not 2 match serieses.

Thus a nation will play 48 FC s in the League Cup.

A nation will score points on winning or drawing a series extra point for away win.

The nation with maximum points will be crowned winner of the Cup.

First Class match format will be 4 days 100 ovs per day no such thing as day night match only pure white cricket.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For point scoring I'd go something like this:

6 points - Away series win
5 points - Home series win
3 points - Away series draw
2 point - Home series draw

And 2 points for every Test match won. So that there is incentive to play even if you are up 4-0 in a 5 Test series. 1 point each for a tie, nothing for a draw to encourage attacking cricket.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner of League Cup will face the bottom team of Major League in a play off series and if the win they will be promoted to the Major League and loser relegated to the League Cup

Or another option is we will add 10 countries to the major league after first 4 years (2 top qualifiers from league cup) then start the relegation system for the next span.

This will make sure that a Nation like West Indies playing tests for years may not get relegated easily.

When England and Australia will play it will be called Ashes and so for other such serieses.

As for Bangladesh i say it is better to win 60 % than lose 98 %.

All the players will be given full time contracts and this will be a good exposure for the associate nations.

This is the ultimate system which can save Test cricket.Please show this to the ICC.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I like it but would change it slightly.

I wouldn't mind if it's 9 teams that start of, I don't think Bangladesh should be dropped without a chance to stay in the top flight.

I'm also not prepared for one of the top 8 teams to be down in the second division within the next 4 years..

Also Afghanistan should easily be ahead of Argentina!

Patroclus

Banned
Yeah I like it but would change it slightly.

I wouldn't mind if it's 9 teams that start of, I don't think Bangladesh should be dropped without a chance to stay in the top flight.

I'm also not prepared for one of the top 8 teams to be down in the second division within the next 4 years..

Also Afghanistan should easily be ahead of Argentina!
How many tests have BD won xcldng WI & Zim ????

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many tests have BD won xcldng WI & Zim ????
Basically I don't see how it would be good for the game to have any of the top 8 sides out of the top tier in 4 years time.

Bangladesh are very likely to finish last, I just don't think that they should stop playing Test Cricket because a new system is in place. Let them have a go for 4 years and if they finish last they have 'earned' the demotion.

Sir Alex

Banned
Who will do the funding? Because the reason why countries like NZ play less test cricket is because of that and not an inherent unwillingness to play tests.

BTW good effort although a bit utopian imho. Pakistan is no way going to play any home tests in near future. Further a nation like India could schedule (read cope out) a lot of home tests against Australia/ SA etc and schedule away tests against weaker teams and add points.

Or there should be a limit to maximum number of tests against a particular nation.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I want there to be playoffs with a semifinal and a final. The final would be compelling viewing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
DingDong who do you think would make the semi finals in Tier 2?

I wonder what Hrithik thinks of this proposal...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
do not see much need of that though a special match btw 1 & 2 of both leagues is a possibility
In that case I am changing my vote to no. We already have a test "championship" round robin style format. With each team getting points for a victory and the top team in the world getting the best ranking. (India currently being that team).

Patroclus

Banned
^Sir Alex

NZL SL & SA will each get a donation of £20 mn just for WTC from ICC BCCI ECB

pak will make dubaisc sharjah abu dhabi kathmandu & dubai anthr stdm their home grounds

it will be 5 mtch serieses only for the followings ind pak aus eng sa wi & nzl sl to keep rivalries alive & 3/4 for others thus india wont have any power i alrdy said abt it plzz read fully

Patroclus

Banned
I am changing my vote to no. We already have a test "championship" round robin style format. With each team getting points for a victory and the top team in the world the best ranking. .
but its not a league system with a points table where everything is clear to the viewers its nether a tournament its just a ranking systm plzz think and vote yes

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
^Sir Alex

NZL SL & SA will each get a donation of £20 mn just for WTC from ICC BCCI ECB
:laugh: I am convinced it's utopian now.

pak will make dubaisc sharjah abu dhabi kathmandu & dubai anthr stdm their home grounds
Kathmandu??:wacko: Hope u are not taking the piss.

it will be 5 mtch serieses only for the followings ind pak aus eng sa wi & nzl sl to keep rivalries alive & 3/4 for others thus india wont have any power i alrdy said abt it plzz read fully
Where?

Sir Alex

Banned
but its not a league system with a points table where everything is clear to the viewers its nether a tournament its just a ranking systm plzz think and vote yes
It's not much different if number of test matches played against each can vary according to the individual nations' whims. The only difference I see is ICC does the rankings and award test championship mace every year in stead of 4 years.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Is Test cricket actually in need of any change?

Teams already play for the ICC Test Championship, and nobody truly cares too much about it. You can change the format, the awarding of points, the amount of Tests played; but it all matters for zilch if the quality of cricket played is poor.

As an Australian fan, why is it so important to play a mandatory 12 matches a year? I am happy as long as Australia play 5-6 matches over the summer, and have a large winter tour (Ashes) or a couple of smaller Test series away. If they play 10 or 14 Tests it doesn't concern me greatly.

The format would kill some cricket boards too financially. Boards currently can manage Test, ODI and T20 priorities in a way that retains the old format whilst still making some coin. Forcing a set number of Tests may take some flexibility away. I am sure the Argentinan Cricket board would be thrilled to be forced to play twelve unprofitable first class games a year, and fly there team halfway across the world for a couple of away series a year.

Patroclus

Banned
^Sir Alex

but its not very clear to the viewers ??? wtc will give a specific goal to viewers as well as the the teams as to what they are playing for

to be crowned the ultimate champions to win the trophy and store it in their museum

change kathmandu

reduce the donation to 5mn okk ????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.