• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Koertzen's Legacy

Quaggas

State Captain
I see Rudi Koertzen's to retire after the Pakistan-Australia test at Headingly:

Umpire Rudi Koertzen set to retire (cricinfo)

What are people's views on his career?

Clearly his error count's been rising, but they all make mistakes and Koertzen was generally fair. I seem to recall that 5-6 years back he was voted most liked by the players themselves - which says something about him.

He'll be remembered chiefly for the "slow death", and, unfortunately, probably for the Sangakkara dismissal on 192 in Hobart.

Jayzamann

International Regular
He always looked like a different man when he took his hat off.

I did rarely disagree or get frustrated with his decisions. Definitely one of my favourites from the ICC elite panel.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couldn't stand him,he always seemed to make his biggest howlers in England games and mysteriously the decisions always seemed to go against us.He was a buffoon of the highest order.Good riddance.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Good luck to Rudi in life after cricket

He suffered from his fair share of umpiring howlers (name an umpire who is immune from this), but he still did a largely respectable job in an era where the scrutiny of umpiring decisions has been at all time high due to technology.

To be voted umpire of the year, and receive a number of other nominations suggest he was well regarded within cricketing circles and massive respect for Rudi for his professionalism in dealing with match fixing offers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember him as pretty atrocious but now that I think of it his unspeakable direness is a fairly recent development.

Polo23

International Debutant
For the last 4 or 5 years has been absolutely atrocious. Though, he has quite a lot of company in that regard.

Also, the whole "slow death" thing was ****ing stupid. Just put your finger up already you pretentious prick!

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I find it hard to forgive him for our 2005 tour of Australia when he appeared to make giving Lara and Chanderpaul out to howlers his modus operandi.

He did seem to get on well with a number of players and that can only be good but he made way too many howlers against our key players for me to like the guy very much tbh.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Poor umpire, but not as bad as Doctrove.

Flintoff knew how to get him onside, be his best mate...leading to bias decisions in his favour.