Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is BD good enough to join tier 3 now

Is BD good enough to join tier 3 now

Atm tier 3 should be Nzl,Win and Pak so is Bangla good enough to win a series (atleast at home) against these 3 major test playing nations.

Thoughts?

P:S not counting that joke series in Windies last year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Atm tier 3 should be Nzl,Win and Pak so is Bangla good enough to win a series (atleast at home) against these 3 major test playing nations.

Thoughts?

P:S not counting that joke series in Windies last year.
    Pl clarify tier 2 and tier 1 too?

T-1
    India,Aus,Sa
    T-2
    Eng,SL
    T-3
    NZL,Wi,Pak

imo/

No because the other 'tier 3' teams win test matches.

I love Bangladesh, but let's wait till they win.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    T-1
    India,Aus,Sa
    T-2
    Eng,SL
    T-3
    NZL,Wi,Pak

imo/
    Not yet imho.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Strange how you can put England in a lower tier than 2 sides who failed to beat them in the last year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Strange how you can put England in a lower tier than 2 sides who failed to beat them in the last year.
    Interesting..Tier 1 and 2 is imho unnecessary.. the gap between those two is not as much to warrant a seperate tier.

More like

Tier One: England, SA, India, SL, Pakistan and Australia

Tier Two: NZ and WI

Tier Three: Bangladesh (and Zimbabwe)

Tier Four: Ireland etc.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    They do not belong in any tier until they start winning games.

It is a constant trend with Bangladesh. No matter how many close losses they have, no matter how many innings they occasionally put up a fight in, no matter how many counter-attacking centuries they score when the contest is over; they are still nothing until they win games.

There is this massive expectation that they are heading in the right direction, and correct they have finally found some cricketers who can be considered international class. The issue is, the team is still nowhere near the required standard to constantly compete.

Take a look at the team named today.

Iqbal: Quality
    Kayes: Likely to be disposed for opener #27
    Siddique: Has form, but is he a cricketer who will average >40 at Test level?
    Islam: Completely unproven
    Ashraful: Possibly the worst international batsman
    Shakib: Quality player number 2
    Mahmudulla: Passable as a Test cricketer
    Raham: No other Test nation can carry a keeper who averages <30
    Islam: Looks good, but likely to be replaced for yet another medium paced trundler
    Razzak: Yet to prove anything
    Hossain: Recent good innings at Lords, but hardly a better bowler than when he made his debut a number of years back.

The above side is such a mismatch of good talent, unproven talent, and cricketers who are likely to be replaced. How many of the above names can you guarantee will be playing in a year’s time? Five, six? I would say all Tests nations would have 8 or 9 players who are a lock-in for a year’s time. The best Test nations will drop a batsman if they average under 40, and yet Bangladesh relies on batsman who don't even reach 40.

I hope they come good, but they have such a long way to go.

Harsh on Mahmudullah IMO, but as for your comment on Rahim, the West Indies have Ramdin and Boucher only averaged 31. Mushfiqur is still only 21 and his best years are surely ahead of him.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Harsh on Mahmudullah IMO, but as for your comment on Rahim, the West Indies have Ramdin and Boucher only averaged 31. Mushfiqur is still only 21 and his best years are surely ahead of him.
    You are correct, and both Mahmudullah and Mushfiqur have the potential to be fantastic Test cricketers. The issue is, right now, Bangladesh are not winning games consistently, and we have to live in hope that these young kids may become really good, which is no guarantee.

Looking back over the years, Bangladesh have introduced an incredible amount of young cricketers since inception. Some of these actually looked something special (Alok Kapali and Emamul Haque jnr are two examples), and yet Bangladesh have yet to actually develop any of these talents into a player of good Test standard. Whilst the above two names are still young, there is no real identifiable improvement in their game. This is the concern considering a large reliance is being placed on the current batch of kids to carry the team forward over the next decade; they may simply not come on. There is zero precedent of a fantastic talent being developed by Bangladesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Add Prasanna Jayawardane too. Averages 30.5, but his keeping is from the top tier.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Yeah, I don't agree that they're good enough for this hypothetical tier three yet. It's just they are starting to develop a core to their side which has some real ability.
    Tamim and Shaqib are class acts already, Mahmudullah is a pretty darn talented allrounder, they just bat him too low and then underbowl him. As for Rahim, averaging 28 in Tests between the ages of 16-21 is no disgrace.
    A real quality opening bowler and they'd have a chance start to challenge sides more consistently and turn the occassional wobbles they cause the opposition now, into genuine match winning opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Add Prasanna Jayawardane too. Averages 30.5, but his keeping is from the top tier.
    Yeah, when I mentioned Boucher I was going to mention as an aside that his keeping is considerably better than Rahim's though.
    But yeah, there are quite a few sides out there with keepers averaging ~30, so I think pointing out Mushfiqur is a touch on the harsh side especially when you consider his age and the development that's still to come.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    As far as i'm concerned he is easily the best keeper in international cricket at present.Not much competition though sadly as everyone wants a batsman/keeper and the glovework doesn't seem to count.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information