• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is BD good enough to join tier 3 now

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
But guys... Don't you realise the ramifications of BD becoming potentially decent. In 30 years time, when Ikki and Miagra still battle it out in Warne v Murali threads, people will be like WTF? when Ikki takes out Murali's BD wickets.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Oops, pardon me i meant LAST YEAR we beat England, which wasn't that long ago!! :cool: , SL, NZ and Pak haven't beaten any of India, England, South Africa or Australia in years.
What on earth are you talking about? Sri Lanka haven't even played England, South Africa and Australia last year.

They played 2 against Pakistan, drew 1 and won one. They beat NZ in one and lost to India in one. Thats all the series' that have taken place last year, nothing else.

They played against England, India, West Indies and Bangladesh in 2008 and won all of these except the one against West Indies which ended in a draw.

So to add it all up, in 2008 and 2009, Sri Lanka have lost 1, drawn 2 and won 5 among the series' played. Not as shabby as you seem to suggest.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
What on earth are you talking about? Sri Lanka haven't even played England, South Africa and Australia last year.

They played 2 against Pakistan, drew 1 and won one. They beat NZ in one and lost to India in one. Thats all the series' that have taken place last year, nothing else.

They played against England, India, West Indies and Bangladesh in 2008 and won all of these except the one against West Indies which ended in a draw.

So to add it all up, in 2008 and 2009, Sri Lanka have lost 1, drawn 2 and won 5 among the series' played. Not as shabby as you seem to suggest.
The one decent team you played recently (India) you got soundly beaten, that was my point, so we're not the only side being beaten by the top teams, we've played England and Australia in the past year and a half and won one and put up a decent fight in the other so we're not as bad as people are implying.

Himannv

International Coach
The one decent team you played recently (India) you got soundly beaten, that was my point, so we're not the only side being beaten by the top teams, we've played England and Australia in the past year and a half and won one and put up a decent fight in the other so we're not as bad as people are implying.
Not sure why you have to put down other teams in order to make that point.

I could easily point out result oriented weaknesses which West Indies have had in their recent series' but what good will that do? Even the victory you claim over England isn't as convincing is it? The 3rd and 5th tests were barely saved and I think the second test got washed out. But thats neither here or there is it? In reality, the only really negative thing I have to say about them is that they are yet to show even remote signs of the kind of brilliance of their past and to be honest I would be more than happy to see them attain those sort of levels.

I think West Indies have a couple of decent young players who can take them ahead and have always been a fan of them since the 80's but the sort of comparison that you are making is hardly deserving of any sort of respect.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Not sure why you have to put down other teams in order to make that point.

I could easily point out result oriented weaknesses which West Indies have had in their recent series' but what good will that do? Even the victory you claim over England isn't as convincing is it? The 3rd and 5th tests were barely saved and I think the second test got washed out. But thats neither here or there is it? In reality, the only really negative thing I have to say about them is that they are yet to show even remote signs of the kind of brilliance of their past and to be honest I would be more than happy to see them attain those sort of levels.

I think West Indies have a couple of decent young players who can take them ahead and have always been a fan of them since the 80's but the sort of comparison that you are making is hardly deserving of any sort of respect.
Well pardon me if you felt i was putting your team down, that wasn't the intention, i was just trying to say that WI are in the same boat as most teams other than England, South Africa, Australia and India, lets remember i was only responding to those claiming Bangledash would beat us, i think i had a right to challenge that notion,

Of course i wouldn't dream of comparing this mob to our great teams of the past, but i do hold out hope that a new dawn is upon us with the quality youngsters we currently have coming through the system, yes our win against England wasn't the most convincing you've ever seen but look at them today? they're a quality side and we had to battle like mad for that win, i think we earned it in the end though.

Sir Alex

Banned
Well pardon me if you felt i was putting your team down, that wasn't the intention, i was just trying to say that WI are in the same boat as most teams other than England, South Africa, Australia and India, lets remember i was only responding to those claiming Bangledash would beat us, i think i had a right to challenge that notion,
You're joking. SL belongs to that group as well. WI, Pak, NZ perhaps belong to one tier and that's mostly because Pakistan has squandered away the last few years owing to their own issues.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You're joking. SL belongs to that group as well. WI, Pak, NZ perhaps belong to one tier and that's mostly because Pakistan has squandered away the last few years owing to their own issues.
Imo until they prove they belong to that group by actually playing them and winning a few games that statement is merely speculation, yes they've got a talented group of players but the way they were brushed aside by India didn't look good, i mean even we put up a better fight in Australia, despite the fact that many of our top players got injured.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WindieWeathers, take this is an official warning that if you continue to turn seemingly every thread possible in Cricket Chat into a debate about the quality of the West Indies cricket team or it's players, you will be punished. This forum is not about the great supporters war, and you do NOT need to "defend your team" in every thread where someone suggests they aren't quite as you think they are.

If you have any question re: this, please email us at moderators@cricketweb.net so as to not take the thread further off-topic.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I do not think Sri Lanka are in that tier as of yet. They need more results outside SL. They have the potential but they have not done it.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
WindieWeathers, take this is an official warning that if you continue to turn seemingly every thread possible in Cricket Chat into a debate about the quality of the West Indies cricket team or it's players, you will be punished. This forum is not about the great supporters war, and you do NOT need to "defend your team" in every thread where someone suggests they aren't quite as you think they are.

If you have any question re: this, please email us at moderators@cricketweb.net so as to not take the thread further off-topic.
"Seemingly every thread"? 8-) i mainly only post on threads ABOUT WI so needless to say i disagree with that comment, i never just jumped on someone for having a differing opinion about WI, i merely came forth with some facts that didn't support said opinion, if that's against the rules then pardon me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But guys... Don't you realise the ramifications of BD becoming potentially decent. In 30 years time, when Ikki and Miagra still battle it out in Warne v Murali threads, people will be like WTF? when Ikki takes out Murali's BD wickets.
Heh, made me laugh.