• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those rebel tours of South Africa....

SeamUp

International Coach
1982-3 squad: Lawrence Rowe (captain), Richard Austin, Herbert Chang, Sylvester Clarke, Colin Croft, Alvin Greenidge, Bernard Julien, Alvin Kallicharran, Collis King, Everton Mattis, Ezra Moseley, David Murray, Derick Parry, Franklyn Stephenson, Emmerson Trotman, Ray Wynter, Albert Padmore (player/manager)

1983-4 squad: Lawrence Rowe (captain), Hartley Alleyne, Faoud Bacchus, Sylvester Clarke, Colin Croft, Alvin Greenidge, Bernard Julien, Alvin Kallicharran, Collis King, Monte Lynch, Everton Mattis, Ezra Moseley, David Murray, Derick Parry, Franklyn Stephenson, Emmerson Trotman, Albert Padmore (player/manager)

Obviously they were seen a negatively light politically but the rebel tours were great for cricket in SA. All the guys in bold ending up staying to play Currie Cup cricket.Obviously loads of English and Australians also stayed after they were banned back home.

Alleyne - Natal
Kallicharan - Transvaal & OFS
Clarke - Transvaal, OFS & Northern Transvaal
Bacchus - Border
King - Natal
Moseley - Eastern Province & Northern Transvaal
Stephenson - OFS
Trotman - Border

Young South Africans grew up appreciating good cricketers like these to compete with our players. Of course later on Dessie Hayne (WP), Ricie Richardson (Northern Transvaal), Eldine Baptiste (EP/Natal) & Vasbert Drakes (Border) & Malcolm Marshall (Natal) to name a few came to play when we were back on the international stage.

Haynes was one of my heroes (took guys like Gibbs/Kallis/G.Kirsten under his wing at WP). Marshall did the same with a young Pollock and Klusener.

Hartley Alleyne absolutely pinning the Maestro Pollock

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
I forgot Richie Richardson played RSA domestic. I was wondering why I had such a good impression of him as a kid considering how little I saw him do in international cricket.

Then again, it might have just been the hat.

SeamUp

International Coach
I forgot Richie Richardson played RSA domestic. I was wondering why I had such a good impression of him as a kid considering how little I saw him do in international cricket.

Then again, it might have just been the hat.
Used to love the hat. Little iconic things like that and you wanted to look like him when you batted.

1996/97 season

Just looking at random scorecards

v Natal : Northern Transvaal v Natal at Centurion, 29 Nov-2 Dec 1996

v WP : Western Province v Northern Transvaal at Cape Town, 1-4 Nov 1996

Last edited: