• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ed Joyce seeks early return to Ireland

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ed Joyce confirms Ireland ambitions

Misses out by a small amount by qualification, so Ireland are seeking an exemption under the "special circumstances" clause.

Here's hoping that he gets it granted.

ECB's response:

Hugh Morris, Managing Director of England Cricket wished Joyce all the best on his return to Ireland colours saying: "While we are naturally disappointed to lose a player of Ed's calibre from our pool of potential England players, we entirely respect and understand the reasons behind his decision. Ed is a player of proven international quality who played an important role in England's Commonwealth Bank Series win over Australia in 2007 and we wish him well in his future career with Ireland."

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh:

Yeah, that'd be great if he could return early. Can't see why the ICC would object.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would we actually lose him from our player pool though? Couldn't we just pick him again if we, and he, wanted to?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Whilst I admit that Irish cricket would be the better for Joyce's return, it seems a bit farcical that a player can make their international debut for one country, get selected and represent another, and then return to that initial country. If he then hits a tremendous run of form can England then select him for their national side again? As I say, it'd be beneficial for Irish cricket to have him back but I'm just a bit sceptical of players coming and going with regards to their international side.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Fingers crossed. I really think 2 years for a player going back to an associate country is sufficient.

I read that Hamish Marshall is also looking for the same exemption, I don't know if that would be supported by NZ cricket? I presume he's not likely to be picked by them again.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Whilst I admit that Irish cricket would be the better for Joyce's return, it seems a bit farcical that a player can make their international debut for one country, get selected and represent another, and then return to that initial country. If he then hits a tremendous run of form can England then select him for their national side again? As I say, it'd be beneficial for Irish cricket to have him back but I'm just a bit sceptical of players coming and going with regards to their international side.
This.

There should at least be a standdown period. Or maybe I'm just being old-fashioned and wanted players to play for the country of their birth and all that. How 20th century of me.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Heck, we feel a little bad that you lost out on Morgan, you know what Ireland? You can have James as well.

Enjoy.

Sir Alex

Banned
This.

English practise of robbing and discarding players of other countries at will (okay technically they are "choosing" to represent England, but let's not kid ourselves) is a disgrace to cricketing logic. Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.

Ed Joyce should not be given any reprieve here, and be a reminder to all those who seek easy pastures outside their country of birth. You make the decision with some permanency. It is not outsourcing or contract work.

Uppercut

Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.
This sentence is undeniable proof that you have no clue what the hell you are talking about, and hence you should wade out of this debate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This.

English practise of robbing and discarding players of other countries at will (okay technically they are "choosing" to represent England, but let's not kid ourselves) is a disgrace to cricketing logic. Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.

Ed Joyce should not be given any reprieve here, and be a reminder to all those who seek easy pastures outside their country of birth. You make the decision with some permanency. It is not outsourcing or contract work.
Just jog on hey

Top_Cat

Yeah, let him go. Any attempts to stop it happening smack of punishing him for jumping ship. Cricket's a career like any other, restraint of trade, etc.

Sir Alex

Banned
Either they make Pakistan a part of India (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.
:laugh: You got a case?

Pakistan is a direct competitor for India in cricket, Ireland is NOT. It is acting now as a ICC sponsored player pool for Eng.