• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ed Joyce seeks early return to Ireland

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh: You got a case?

Pakistan is a direct competitor for India in cricket, Ireland is NOT. It is acting now as a ICC sponsored player pool for Eng.
Could have sworn we played them in the T20 WC, seems strange to do that to a non-competitor

Sir Alex

Banned
Talking about test matches mate, not some mickey mouse cricket.

I've explained above and in other threads my disdain for this "free-movement" of players between associate and full member and I don't want to go again down the route.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, well given that Ireland don't play Test cricket why on earth would you forbid people from playing for England from there, if they satisfy all criteria?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I've explained above and in other threads my disdain for this "free-movement" of players between associate and full member and I don't want to go again down the route.
If you're only worried about tests, I'm not sure why you're commenting on this issue, it's a limited-overs issue only.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because he's Sir Alex and doesn't like that the England team isn't purely full of white men that speak like Hugh Grant :ph34r:

Sir Alex

Banned
Okay, well given that Ireland don't play Test cricket why on earth would you forbid people from playing for England from there, if they satisfy all criteria?
If you're only worried about tests, I'm not sure why you're commenting on this issue, it's a limited-overs issue only.
This has nothing to do with Ed Joyce the player but the practice of England using and discarding Irish players at will and then they going back to represent their teams without the restrictions applying. My reference to test cricket was completely out of context and need not be considered here.

Why should ICC go on funding Ireland if England is going to treat them as their personal county to select and discard players?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I hear Joyce and Morgan's families were held at gun point until they put on the English jersey.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This has nothing to do with Ed Joyce the player but the practice of England using and discarding Irish players at will and then they going back to represent their teams without the restrictions applying. My reference to test cricket was completely out of context and need not be considered here.

Why should ICC go on funding Ireland if England is going to treat them as their personal county to select and discard players?
I'm not sure we have "used and discarded players at will". That seems a highly dramatic interpretation of the situation with Joyce and Morgan.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Find the whole thing a bit daft tbh, not a fan of England stealing Ireland's players in the first place, but surely once you declare yourself for one country you should see out your choice. This hole pick and choose thing which seems to be going on here doesn't really sit right. Best wishes to Joyce all the same though, have always quite liked him.

gvenkat

State Captain

This "free-movement" is counter-productive for the associate nations. Take the case of Dirk Nannes, Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nannes not quite the same, tbf. Born and raised Aussie of Dutch parentage.

Best of luck to Joyce tho. Wouldn't quite write off his test career yet if I were him tho. Can't be all that many ahead of him in the pecking order, surely?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nannes not quite the same, tbf. Born and raised Aussie of Dutch parentage.

Best of luck to Joyce tho. Wouldn't quite write off his test career yet if I were him tho. Can't be all that many ahead of him in the pecking order, surely?
Haha yeah I always laugh when people bring up Nannes in the same breath as Morgan and Joyce. Nannes is not a Dutch cricketer who was poached by Australia; he's an Australian cricketer with Dutch parents. Born in Melbourne and lived there his entire life. Don't reckon he would've even considered playing for Holland in the first place had it meant he couldn't play for Australia.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Any player who wants to play for another team should wait for 5 years IMO. It would be double standards if he is allowed to play for England after just playing for Ireland a year back and not the other way. Very poor to see a player like Nannes play for Holland in one T20 tournament and then 6 months later here he is with Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Any player who wants to play for another team should wait for 5 years IMO. It would be double standards if he is allowed to play for England after just playing for Ireland a year back and not the other way. Very poor to see a player like Nannes play for Holland in one T20 tournament and then 6 months later here he is with Australia.
Trouble with that is that it'll weaken the associates. Any associate nation-born or qualified player with any test ambitions would have to make themselves unavailable for the duration of their qualification period.

It's not ideal, but cricket only having ten nations with "test" status makes it a unique case.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Trouble with that is that it'll weaken the associates. Any associate nation-born or qualified player with any test ambitions would have to make themselves unavailable for the duration of their qualification period.

It's not ideal, but cricket only having ten nations with "test" status makes it a unique case.
Then they should rather decrease the whole qualification period uniformly. No need for any difference between associate->test and test->associate.

Also a really stupid doubt. So what kind of citizenship exists in UK? Is it like citizen of UK or the individual nations? If the question is stupid please clear it up for me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Then they should rather decrease the whole qualification period uniformly. No need for any difference between associate->test and test->associate.

Also a really stupid doubt. So what kind of citizenship exists in UK? Is it like citizen of UK or the individual nations? If the question is stupid please clear it up for me.
The former. We're all citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

pskov

International 12th Man
Just as an aside, because it is tangentially related to the Ed Joyce/Morgan situation, people born in Northern Ireland do have certain special exemptions where they are able to apply for citizenship of the Republic of Ireland even if they have no relatives from the south. There isn't however any special status for people born in the Republic of Ireland when applying for British citizenship.