• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro35 Evolution : Cricket's Newest Format

Do u like this format ?

• Total voters

Hrithik

Banned
This is the suggestion for a new format.

T20 is too short for atleast 2 batsmen to get centuries (which has happened a lot of times in ODIs) or a batsman to score 150+ in an innings and too short for a bowler to take 6-7 wickets whereas it takes 7.5 hours for an ODI (50 ovs) to end too boring.:sleep:

The solution of this problem is Pro35

35 overs each team

First 16 overs (out of it first 10 ovs of fielding restrictions (powerplay) & next six ovs of freeplay) (65 mins)

Next 14 overs of spinplay (next 14 ovs of mandatory continous spin bowling) (43 mins)

(Spin bowling will be defined as short run up bowling or a bowler given to the stats as a spin bowler but not medium pace)

Last 5 overs of freeplay (no such restrictions as above) (22 mins)

6 more overs of powerplay can be taken any time by batting & bowling sides each (3+3)

7 overs each bowler

Innings length : 2 hrs 10 mins

Match length : 4hrs 35mins (including break)

Change of ends per 17 overs.

It will include the Super Sub rule & Free Hit.

This format will help cricket as :

• It will eliminate the slambam of T20 :wacko: and boredom of 50 ovs :sleep:.

• It will make cricket more entertaining if 2 batsmen get centuries or a batman gets a 150+ score like 163* unlike 105 or 120 in T20s & a bowler gets 6-7 wickets.This will make the match statistics more substantial the word is subtance which T20 doesnt have at all.

• The spinplay will help to fasten the overrate and thus less duration and more crowds and TV viewers.It will make cricket more strategic.It will help fasten the game & spice up the boring middle overs of an ODI:sleep: & will give some respect to the artistry of spin bowling which is dying.

• This format will help to create bigger individual performances and superstars and maintain a balance of cricket & statistics all over the world.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nice effort.

I hate the idea of mandatory spin bowling. It scares me the idea of teams leaving out a quality pace-bowler due to requiring an extra spinner to meet the format of the game. Isn't one of the unique aspects of cricket the ability of teams to have a variety of bowling attacks. South Africa can take advantage of home wickets by selecting five seamers, Zimbabwe can compete by selecting 4 defensive spinners.

Hrithik

Banned
I hate the idea of mandatory spin bowling. It scares me the idea of teams leaving out a quality pace-bowler due to requiring an extra spinner to meet the format of the game. South Africa can take advantage of home wickets by selecting five seamers, Zimbabwe can compete by selecting 4 defensive spinners.
It will give importance to spin bowling a team will have to go with at least 2 spinners there is enough space for 4 pacers to bowl atleast 5 ovs so there wll b balance

Noble One

It will give importance to spin bowling a team will have to go with at least 2 spinners there is enough space for 4 pacers to bowl atleast 5 ovs so there wll b balance
Why give importance to spin bowling? If a team only has 1 quality spinner, why force them into selecting someone else sub-par to fill the over quota.

Imagine a fast Perth wicket and Australia being forced to select both Smith and Hauritz, leaving say Harris or Tait on the sideline. Horrible idea.

Cricket at its core is a simple game, superficial rules alienate the fans.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why give importance to spin bowling? If a team only has 1 quality spinner, why force them into selecting someone else sub-par to fill the over quota.

Imagine a fast Perth wicket and Australia being forced to select both Smith and Hauritz, leaving say Harris or Tait on the sideline. Horrible idea.

Especially as it's a rule solely designed for the purpose of bowling overs quickly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
50 overs a side match is excellent for me, and definitely not boring. Don't want it to end, nor the 50 overs a side World Cups that come once in 4 years. All those 20, 35, 40 or 60 overs a side cricket matches aren't and won't be appreciated by me as much. Thanks and bye.

Last edited:

Hrithik

Banned

it will help fasten the game & spice up the boring middle overs of an ODI:sleep: & will give some respect to the artistry of spin bowling which is dying after shane & muruli

Hrithik

Banned
50 overs a side match is excellent for me, and definitely not boring. Don't want it to end, nor the 50 overs a side World Cups that come once in 4 years. All those 20, 35, 40 or 60 overs a side cricket matches aren't and won't be appreciated by me as much. Thanks and bye.
its boring and runs in empty stadiums exmple - on going wi-sa :sleep:

Noble One

it will help fasten the game & spice up the boring middle overs of an ODI:sleep: & will give some respect to the artistry of spin bowling which is dying after shane & muruli
I don't see much artistry in an average spin bowler sending down 90kmh+ darts.

Respect will come through good spinners who demand selection on merit. Fans don't want to watch poor spin bowling.

Hrithik

Banned
I don't see much artistry in an average spin bowler sending down 90kmh+ darts.

Respect will come through good spinners who demand selection on merit. Fans don't want to watch poor spin bowling.
the spinplay will certainly help the cause stated by you :)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
its boring and runs in empty stadiums exmple - on going wi-sa :sleep:
I said not boring for me, may I just add especially the middle overs....

And besides my personal choice, the fact is that ODI cricket earns enough money to sustain itself, even now. [Though it doesn't earn enough money for someone like Lalit Modi to become rich within moments; but that's a different story.]

Last edited:

Noble One

Another rule you suggest, the return of the super-sub. I imagine many would be against.

The reason it is no longer used is because it was a really poor rule. Another rule that just confuses fans, is only beneficial in certain specific circumstances, placed far too much reliance on whoever won the toss and has thankfully been abolished.

Would actually make a decent thread topic itself. Interesting to hear after four years if many would like the return of the super-sub, what could be done to improve the rule.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
sounds like a format that would suit many of the sub continental countries. Want a way to spice up 50 over cricket? Maybe don't make the pitches so flat every ****ing game

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it will help fasten the game & spice up the boring middle overs of an ODI:sleep: & will give some respect to the artistry of spin bowling
it will help fasten the game & spice up the boring middle overs of an ODI:sleep: & will give some respect to the artistry of spin bowling which is dying
Hrithik, you've been warned before about making the same post multiple times. Once is enough.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Disagree that 'spinplay' would make cricket more strategic. It would make the cricket more formulaic - why take away a captain's ability to strategically manage who bowls and when? If over-rates are the sole concern, then carry over the mandated over-rate from T20 (can't imagine you'd really want to go much faster than that).