• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Good is Tamim?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Really impressed by Tamim this year. He is the leading scorer in tests ahead of Amla. Admittedly he has played more innings than most other batsman but you can't argue too much with an average of 60 this year.

I don't think we can say that after 18 test matches that he is world class yet but he would certainly be selected for many teams in the world.

Questions:
Which teams do you think he would be selected for?
How old will he be when he reaches his potential?
Is he just a useful player or is he very good?

Comment...

Sir Alex

Banned
Any team would love to have such a player in their team. He's only 21 FFS! And he is already probably among the top 5 openers in the world.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Right now, would happily put him well below Gambhir, Sehwag, Katich, Strauss, Smith, Gayle and even Cook. That only really puts him above Watling/Mcintosh/well you get the picture.

Good form he's in but top 5? Not even close, for mine. Bashing a quick ton in a losing cause does nothing to change that either.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Interesting. Right now, would happily put him well below Gambhir, Sehwag, Katich, Strauss, Smith, Gayle and even Cook. That only really puts him above Watling/Mcintosh/well you get the picture.

Good form he's in but top 5? Not even close, for mine. Bashing a quick ton in a losing cause does nothing to change that either.
On current form I wouldn't put him below Cook and Strauss, but yes I agree with other 5. Still among top 6. (I missed Smith tbh).

This list is surprising

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

(I've excluded stats against Bang, and taken figures for openers in last 12 months)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Which teams do you think he would be selected for? Bangladesh (lol), New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies.

How old will he be when he reaches his potential? I would say in another 3 or 4 years. He will still be very young, but I don't see him as a player who peaks at the usual age, the kid is an awesome talent.

Is he just a useful player or is he very good? He is a test class performer and one of the most exciting young batsman in the world.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Which teams do you think he would be selected for? Bangladesh (lol), New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies.

How old will he be when he reaches his potential? I would say in another 3 or 4 years. He will still be very young, but I don't see him as a player who peaks at the usual age, the kid is an awesome talent.

Is he just a useful player or is he very good? He is a test class performer and one of the most exciting young batsman in the world.
I don't think he'd get in our side ahead of Barath to be honest but no doubt he's a decent talent.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think he'd get in our side ahead of Barath to be honest but no doubt he's a decent talent.
I think he would get in ahead of Barath. However failing that Barath, Tamim or even Gayle could bat at 3 with Sarwan and Chanderpaul to follow.

Windie would you say the Windies have 6 batsman better than Tamim Iqbal?

Sir Alex

Banned

Maybe SA also as companion to Smith, unless Peterson keeps the promise he's shown.

And Australia if Watson wasn't any good with the ball (due respects to Hughes)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Barath is decent but Tamim is a better talent imo.
And what makes him better? Barath is younger and already has a ton to his name on his debut in Australia, Tamim of course has played a lot more games thus far but in terms of talent i can't see how he's better than Adrian.

TumTum

Banned
And what makes him better? Barath is younger and already has a ton to his name on his debut in Australia, Tamim of course has played a lot more games thus far but in terms of talent i can't see how he's better than Adrian.
Tamim just looks better on the crease, has a wide range of shots to go with the aggression.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Barath's only a year younger tbh and Tamim has 3 tons to his name I don't see how either of these contribute to a who is more talented argument in favor of Barath.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think he would get in ahead of Barath. However failing that Barath, Tamim or even Gayle could bat at 3 with Sarwan and Chanderpaul to follow.

Windie would you say the Windies have 6 batsman better than Tamim Iqbal?
On current form? i doubt it, but along with the guys you already named what about Nash and Deonarine? and with Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Chesney Hughes and Kieran Powell all waiting in the wings we won't be short of classy young batsmen that's for sure!! :laugh: .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Tamim just looks better on the crease, has a wide range of shots to go with the aggression.
It's not exactly easy for a 19 year old making his debut to be aggressive in Australia is it? the kid held his nerve and put the runs on the board, after he's played 18 games like Tamim maybe we'll see more aggression.

Barath's only a year younger tbh and Tamim has 3 tons to his name I don't see how either of these contribute to a who is more talented argument in favor of Barath.
Yeah i agree age isn't a factor, but Tamim has certainly had a lot of games under his belt so he's certainly got experience over Adrian right now, i guess we can only judge after Barath has played a few more Tests, i pray he makes it against South Africa.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Oh FFS, not again.
You know this is a CRICKET FORUM where people have debates about CRICKET, there's nothing wrong with comparing two young batters like Tamim and Barath!!, i support WI so of course i'm gonna talk about WI ninty percent of the time, it's not against the rules!! 8-) , but oh yeah i forgot mentioning Adrian's ton in OZ seems to rub a few people the wrong way!!. :laugh: .