Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trescothick is overated.

International Debutant

Trescothick is overated.

He has only avraged 29 in his last 10 tests.

For a player who is so hoplessly defficiant of a good techneque against seam bowling I cant beleve he is an opener.

An interesting stat C4 brought up was that he averages 50 against Asian teams (with their mainly spin attacks) but only 30 against seam-dominated attacks, with not one hundred.

An opener who isn't comfortable against fast bowling - just what every team needs.

He is a quality batsman with heaps of talent but he really suck's outside offstump.

Tim
    Trescothick reminds me of Nathan Astle..a little too hot & cold.

Maybe England should try dropping Trescothick down the order in test matches anyway.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Tim
    Trescothick reminds me of Nathan Astle..a little too hot & cold.

Maybe England should try dropping Trescothick down the order in test matches anyway.
    yeah I was thinking that but the question is who would replace him and were would he bat.

The thing with Treco is that he will never be consistent - he just doesn't move his feet. And when things go wrong, they go VERY wrong.

To be fair, his first innings dismissal was a brilliant catch!

Originally posted by Eclipse
    yeah I was thinking that but the question is who would replace him and were would he bat.
    I'd like to nominate Andy Strauss. How this bloke hasn't got a call-up yet ahead of the likes of Key and McGrath bemuses me!

Key should open. After all he is an opener. Not a number 5 batsmen. He opens with Kent.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Moving him down the order will not help IMO.

Remember that after the Oval Test (a nice flat wicket for a change), England tour Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Looking at his record, that would suggest he is due some good scores again, and maybe that would give him the confidence to go into the West Indies series and beyond.

The facts remain that although he's been weaker against the seam attacks, he does still average in excess of 30 against them, and has a career average around the 40 level, which is generally considered the benchmark for a good player.

Ask yourself this - would any replacement do better than that, and looking around, I can't see one that would.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Agreed. People have suggested Trescothick drop down the order and Butcher could open, but with the success he's had at 3, why move him? In fact this top 4 is the most settled I can recall. I hope Nasser is fit for next week.

Eclipse, I assume 4 of those tests were against Australia, and it's well documented Trescothick has struggled against them, but he had a great one day series so he's not in that bad touch. Just needs a big score. He's had a couple of 50s in this series but hasn't gone on (one of them because the match had finished).

Ramps and Key are useless and whilst I agree Strauss is looking excellent in county cricket, there's just no room for an opener right now (hence Ward, Key, Smith et al have had to bat at 5/6 or even 7).
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Trescothick seems to me to be a player where one good knock could act as a catalyst and get him back into top form. He's a streaky player. The ODI series is a prime example of this.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Rik
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Trescothick seems to me to be a player where one good knock could act as a catalyst and get him back into top form. He's a streaky player. The ODI series is a prime example of this.
    Trescothick is not a streaky player, I'm sorry but he's played enough good innings to be just "a streaky player", however you ment it. Averages of 39 in Tests and 38 in ODIs cannot be fluked. But Tresco and Vaughan have gone about 20 innings since their last century partnership, they should never feel they are the only people who can occupy their positions. If Vaughan's form continues to suffer I'm not sure how the selectors will deal with it, but if Tresco keeps his bad run then I'm sure the claims Ward, Strauss etc. cannot be ignored.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Pinball Champion!
    Hes a fine strokeplayer, but im not a fan of his technique and lack of foot movement... I think of him as a bit of a flat track bully who would get into trouble against top bowling when the ball moves around a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Strauss maybe as back-up on tour since Key's lost all ability, but Ward's not in the best of tiuch really, and at his age it would be a backward step IMO.

Still, Trescothick is traditionally a better player of Asian sides, so the next 2 tours should be right up his street.

Originally posted by Rik
    Trescothick is not a streaky player, I'm sorry but he's played enough good innings to be just "a streaky player", however you ment it. Averages of 39 in Tests and 38 in ODIs cannot be fluked.
    Did I say that the runs were fluked? Did I say that he's incredibly lucky to score runs? All I'm saying is that with confidence he is a brilliant player, but when his confidence is low, he's rather mediocre. Surely you can't argue with that.

That's the definition of a streaky player.

I certainly don't think he should be dropped though. Every batsman has a lean patch. He's a quality player (albeit with some technical flaws) and he will rebound.

A wise man (or woman) once said:
    "Form is temporary...

Rik
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Did I say that the runs were fluked? Did I say that he's incredibly lucky to score runs? All I'm saying is that with confidence he is a brilliant player, but when his confidence is low, he's rather mediocre. Surely you can't argue with that.

That's the definition of a streaky player.
    I wouldn't define that as a streaky player, I'd define it as an inconsistant player. "Streaky" is another way of saying "Lucky" or "Fortunate"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information