• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Long Wait

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India's Long Wait

Were India the best team in the world in the early 1970's? In this feature Martin tells the story of their rapid rise to prominence after years of disappointment.

social

Best team in the world in the early 70s was SA

Oz took over with Lillee Thomson, Chappells etc

The it was the Windies

No fast bowlers counts India out

fredfertang

Best team in the world in the early 70s was SA

Oz took over with Lillee Thomson, Chappells etc

The it was the Windies

No fast bowlers counts India out
I think you must be right about the South Africans and, in purely cricketing terms, it is a great shame that that side never had the chance to dominate in the way many believe it would have done.

The comment I would make on what you say though is that none of the sides you mention had any significant bowling strength other than in the speed department. I don't therefore agree that you can say the absence of pace bowlers knocks India out of consideration any more than you can disregard the others because they had no high class spinner

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India was indeed the best team in the world when they won back to back in Windies and England. I rate that higher than our world cup achievement. There were large crowds gathered to greet the team when that team came home. I have seen a few pics. Awesome.

1983 had more impact on cricket in India but 1970s ranks higher in terms of achievement imo. The 1983 World Cup winning team lost a test series 5-0 to West Indies at home right after the world cup. So it wasn't really a great team. It was one of the biggest upsets in cricket ever in my opinion.

jashan83

U19 Captain
India was not at all a reliable side. They had good players but as a team there were many issues. In world cup due to country tag they clicked. Then issues again emerged. Then they got their act together and won the world series in Australia in 85 again. It was something like present pakistan team. Very talented player. If they again get a good leader like Imran Khan again they will screw everybody even Australia upside down

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India was not at all a reliable side. They had good players but as a team there were many issues. In world cup due to country tag they clicked. Then issues again emerged. Then they got their act together and won the world series in Australia in 85 again. It was something like present pakistan team. Very talented player. If they again get a good leader like Imran Khan again they will screw everybody even Australia upside down
India was not a good test side in 1983 but we are talking about early 70s here. Completely different eras.