Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philip Hughes

International Regular

Philip Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    How's that a contradiction? I said the pitch wasn't assisting the bowling, swing doesn't come from the pitch.
    The pitch is a big factor, it also depends on the condition of the ball and the humidity. Just because it doesn't actually come in contact with the surface, it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. Why do you think green pitches are the ones that usually offer swing? Just a mere coincidence?

Of course getting out on 0 is a bad innings, every great player has been out in an innings like that, but in no way can you call it a mediocre innings. He didn't look troubled like he did in the Ashes and just managed to edge a couple of balls. How can you derive from that that he will not a be a successful Test batsmen?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I don't see how the pitch can have an affect on swing, apart from how it scuffs up the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    He didn't look troubled like he did in the Ashes and just managed to edge a couple of balls. How can you derive from that that he will not a be a successful Test batsmen?
    Heh. Didn't look bad just played an atrocious shot every ball.
    And I don't think he ever did say that...

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    The pitch is a big factor, it also depends on the condition of the ball and the humidity. Just because it doesn't actually come in contact with the surface, it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. Why do you think green pitches are the ones that usually offer swing? Just a mere coincidence?
    The pitch has zero impact on the amount of swing extracted. The pitch can lead to seam movement and variation in bounce; a bit of grass on the pitch has no impact on the ball swinging whatsoever.

Of course getting out on 0 is a bad innings, every great player has been out in an innings like that, but in no way can you call it a mediocre innings. He didn't look troubled like he did in the Ashes and just managed to edge a couple of balls.
    He did look troubled. Sami tucked him up 2 or 3 times with back of a length deliveries at his body, he looked uncomfortable against the short ball, and then couldn't even get his bread and butter shots away. Normally Hughes would have slapped the 2 balls he should have got out to for 4. He smacked a short wide one straight to Umar Akmal, then a full and wide half volley was edged to slip. If he's not even getting his favourite shots right, how can you possibly claim the innings was anything but terrible? He looked terrible, and got out for 0. I wouldn't even consider the innings mediocre. His 2nd innings effort was mediocre; getting dropped before inevitably getting out for a duck is not even close to a mediocre innings. Love really is blind.

How can you derive from that that he will not a be a successful Test batsmen?
    What are you on about? I never said he won't be a successful Test batsman. Reading my posts would probably help TBH mate, as you've brought up quite a few things that I've never said.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 25-05-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    getting dropped before inevitably getting out for a duck
    /discussion
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Regular
    1. Ok so you never said that KP, so do you think Hughes will be a successful Test batsmen? Reading your comments the answer is pretty clear.

2. I think you are a fool to think the pitch has no impact on swing. The commentators even said there will be a lot of movement which implies both seam and swing.

3. You yourself said that Hughes got out to a swinging delivery, so doesn't that give an advantage to Sami? You can't just say he got out to a crap bowler when he got some movement in the air? This is where you were contradicting yourself, saying Sami was a crap bowler but at the same time saying he got out against a swinging delivery by Sami.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    2. I think you are a fool to think the pitch has no impact on swing.
    How exactly does the pitch impact on swing then (particularly seeing as most swing occurs before the ball bounces)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    1. I think Phil Hughes has the potential to be a very good player, and has done incredibly well with his clearly limited technique. I was merely replying to your comment about his 0, it's you that's got your panties in a twist and instantly presumed I'm part of a hate campaign against the lad.

2. The pitch doesn't impact swing in any way whatsoever. The pitch impacts on seam movement, but I've never doubted that. You really need to do some research on swing if you think it comes from the pitch.

3. Swing does give an advantage to the bowler, but Sami wasn't hooping it around, swinging it both ways. The delivery Hughes edged was a wide half volley that should have been put away. An on-form Hughes would have been on at least 8 by the delivery he got out on, but he played poorly, hitting the half tracker in the air to Akmal before edging to slip. End of discussion. I'm amazed you're continuing to defend an awful innings that resulted in a duck.

Also, Sami is a poor bowler. Him extracting some swing does not change that. It's not even close to being a contradiction. Daren Powell's a terrible bowler, but he does sometimes extract a bit of movement, when he does so it doesn't instantly make him a Test-quality bowler, and it's the same with Sami.

International Regular
    LOL my first thread

Ok I get what you are saying KP, but it did sound as if you were taking a shot at Hughes before but it's good we cleared that up

I get the part that just because Sami extracts some rare swing it doesn't make him a good Test bowler, but for just that small occasion where he did get the ball to move, it does make him a hard bowler to face so you can't blame Hughes for getting out that way.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    If anyone has had a pop at Hughes it is me but that is because all we heard from the convicts was that he was the new Bradman and he promptly failed when tested in the ashes.Now i am entitled to a bit of gloating am i not?

He may go on to be a very good player in time but like a few other hyped players before him if you have a flaw against the short ball as big as Hughes has then it will be exploited time and again by the top bowlers.He is lucky he has come on the scene when there is a dearth of quality quick bowling as if he had been around 20 years ago he'd have ended up crying like a baby like the other Hughes who captained them.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by king pietersen View Post

2. The pitch doesn't impact swing in any way whatsoever. The pitch impacts on seam movement, but i've never doubted that. You really need to do some research on swing if you think it comes from the pitch.
    the pitch does impact the swing!
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Yeah, pitch (especially in Australia) has a pretty large impact on how much and how long the ball swings for.

What does any of this have to do with Phil Hughes. I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    What does any of this have to do with Phil Hughes. I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills!
    Well in the England v Bangladesh thread a convict was laughing at Bopara failing in the ashes so i pointed out Hughes did too and it has snowballed from there.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    At the end of the day, Hughes will be able to work on his deficiencies and improve, but no matter how hard Bopara works on it, he'll still be English.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information