• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Philip Hughes

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same league that our new Test star averaged 24 in last season?

(God what a pointless post)
Where have i said Morgan is a star?

Good one day player yes but not anywhere near proven in the longer form of the game.At least it isn't Bloopara though as he may come off.

Burgey

Don't pontificate mate. it's all good - when has anyone said you can't state an opinion?

You won't find me easily offended mate. I've put up with Corrin (Geraintismyhero) for nearly 4 years now :ph34r:

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Wrist postilion doesn't directly effect swing but it does effect the axis of rotation of the ball which effects swing I suppose.

And I definitely agree that skiddy bowlers somehow manage to find swing in unlikely places but again I think that is because the axis of rotation of the ball alone has an impact on swing.

You could just test this in your backyard using a tennis ball, an upright action doesn't swing it but if you try to bowl it side-on, you will notice that the ball slightly swings and dips late into the right-hander (if you are a right handed bowler).
I manage to do that even with a very high arm open chested action with the tennis ball. The dynamics of a tennis ball is a completely DIFFERENT kettle of fish I think. That may be the reason that I am quite good with medium pace with the tennis ball buck suck with the wrist spin and vice versa with the hard ball.

Burgey

From me or someone in general?

Re: Wrist position. Do you agree it is important?
From you mate, as iyou know more about the technical side of bowling than do most here, certainly myself included.

I certainly agree it's important, but not from first hand experience. My only bowl comes in a Chinese restaurant.

Only have to look at Johnson imo. I mean, when you replay the balls he's gotten to swing, his wrist seems behind the ball. When he doesn't, it isn't. It seems a bit of an accident in his case too.

McGrath seemed to have perfect wrist position though, to my less-than-educated eye, but didn't swing it all that much. Not sure why.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From you mate, as iyou know more about the technical side of bowling than do most here, certainly myself included.

I certainly agree it's important, but not from first hand experience. My only bowl comes in a Chinese restaurant.

Only have to look at Johnson imo. I mean, when you replay the balls he's gotten to swing, his wrist seems behind the ball. When he doesn't, it isn't. It seems a bit of an accident in his case too.

McGrath seemed to have perfect wrist position though, to my less-than-educated eye, but didn't swing it all that much. Not sure why.
Wrist position and swinging the ball is the difference between this

and this

Both maintain a pretty straight seam due to having the wrist behind the ball but the wrist position determines the direction the seam faces. One will swing away from the right hander and the other may, or may not, do a little bit in the air or off the seam

EDIT- Of course, length bowled makes a difference as well.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
*sigh* Jake, refrain from insults. The guy wants a fresh start, no need for you to go around telling everyone that he's supposedly "an idiot".