• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Injuries sustained during a match

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
There's a thread on rule changes, but I thought this might be better as its own separate thread.

When a player sustains an injury that prevents them from continuing a match it creates an unfair situation I'm sure we can all agree. I've thought on the matter a bit and wonder if there isn't a better way.

I've been thinking on some sort of substitute system where players can only replace other players in a like for like fashion. For example a fast bowler can only be replaced by another fast bowler.

Does anyone else have any views on this, and what are the pitfalls of a substitute system in cricket might be?

All I know is that being forced to play with 10 men vs 11 through no fault of your own isn't a fair contest.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the rule the way it is now, sure it gives one team an advantage, but that's just bad luck and needs to be accepted imo. Given that no 2 players have the exact same skill-set, it's arguable that the use of a replacement player could conceivably be more beneficial to the team than their original player in the first place, thus making it unfair on the opposition.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, you'd get players faking injuries etc - or at worst suspicions of that happening - just to get others in due to the match situation. Players don't really have set role definitions either as much as we like to think they do.

I think maintaining one's fitness over five days is just part of the package needed for a successful Test cricketer.

Shifter

Luck should have as little to do with it as possible. Cricket already has a potentially significant luck factor outside the playing arena in the toss. Its supposed to be a test of how good your team is against another, everything else being equal.

Fitness is one thing, but there will be times that something just goes wrong even if you've taken all the reasonable steps to warding against it.

I don't see how you can be classed as a sporting contest in the event that you don't play under equal terms. It goes against the very idea of sport.

Last edited:

Johnners

It's unequal terms as well if one team is able to draft in a fresh player during the middle of a match due to another players poor fitness levels.

Jayzamann

International Regular
If this were to be introduced, it would be used a lot more often than intended. People would stroll off for niggles and it would degenerate into what became of the 'super sub' a few summers back.

Johnners

If subs are an option for both teams (which it obviously will be) then its fair.
It's not though in the situation you were originally talking about. If the subs were only to happen in a situation where a player could not continue the game, it's not fair to the opposing team unless they also have a player succumb to an injury. Ironically though, it would all come down the factor you want to try and eliminate/minimize, luck.

Shifter

How about not allowing subs for fitness related things. In a case where a player is injured/pretends to be injured have an independent doctor evaluate it and if it can be determined he were faking then that players team defaults and are declared losers.

Furthermore, whats more unfair? A team getting a physically fresh player to even the numbers or a 10 v 11 situation.

Last edited:

Shifter

That's why I said they won't allow subs for fitness related issues. Having your hand broken has got nothing to do with how well conditioned you are.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We could use this to sub Michael Clarke out of any T20 where we're chasing >50.

Bring it.

Johnners

How about not allowing subs for fitness related things. In a case where a player is injured/pretends to be injured have an independent doctor evaluate it and if it can be determined he were faking then that players team defaults and are declared losers.

Furthermore, whats more unfair? A team getting a physically fresh player to even the numbers or a 10 v 11 situation.
It's incredibly unfair on the team whose original 11 players are fit enough to play a full match. It's not just about the sub being fresh though, it's about the sub having a different skill-set to the player they are replacing. Eg. It's a test match, day 4, Bryce McGain breaks down during the oppositions final innings at bat, and can no longer play any further part in the match. Steven Smith is the "spin bowler" who is selected to replace McGain, and Australia have to chase 400 down in the 4th innings. Is that not just a wee bit unfair on the opposition, that Australia are able to bring in another spin bowler, who just so happens to be a far better batsmen than the one he's replacing, where it's possible having another capable batsmen down the order swings the balance of the match back in Australia's favour.

Shifter

I said in the very first post that one of the conditions would be a like for like replacement. It would have to be a medium pace bowling all rounder, with a similar batting record.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I said in the very first post that one of the conditions would be a like for like replacement. It would have to be a medium pace bowling all rounder, with a similar batting record.
In which case, you'd have to have a squad of about 17-19 for just one test. Overkill.

Johnners

Who judges what a "like for like" replacement is though? If both players are selected in the squad as spin bowlers, that's the closest you're going to get to a "like for like" replacement unless you do as Voltman says, and have a ridiculous number of squad players for each match.

99*

International Debutant
Why not just make it that the 12th man is the person that subs on, regardless of who the person injured is? That way you'd reduce the number of people faking an injury*.

I think it could work, there is a difference between having low fitness and getting a injury, and it shouldn't be too hard to judge what is and isn't genuine.

(*except for maybe a batsman subbing off for a spin bowler after the third inning)

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Why not just make it that the 12th man is the person that subs on, regardless of who the person injured is? That way you'd reduce the number of people faking an injury*.

I think it could work, there is a difference between having low fitness and getting a injury, and it shouldn't be too hard to judge what is and isn't genuine.

(*except for maybe a batsman subbing off for a spin bowler after the third inning)
Yeah good suggestion this.

Also the incidence of such injuries, I guess, is not that high.

andyc

That's why I said they won't allow subs for fitness related issues. Having your hand broken has got nothing to do with how well conditioned you are.
But if your hand gets broken while batting, it's your own fault. The bowler's clearly beaten you and hit you with a good ball.

Just man up and don't get injured FFS.