• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your bodyline battle

Xuhaib

International Coach
Who would you choose as your 4 fast bowlers for a bodyline battle.

Only name cricketers you have watched in action.

My pick:
Wasim'
Ambrose
Shoaib
Tait

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Accuracy is the key for fast leg theory to work - my choice would be

Larwood
Voce
Marshall
Garner

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Accuracy is the key for fast leg theory to work - my choice would be

Larwood
Voce
Marshall
Garner
You saw Larwood and Voce in action? You're older than I thought Fred! :p

Agree completely with your sentiments about accuracy though - Bodyline was about more than just bowling fast short stuff like a madman. My attack would be:

Marshall
Lillee
Garner
Ambrose/Imran

Xuhaib

International Coach
I thought Waqar had a quite average bouncer, Wasim with his quick arm was the difficult one also Donald could be a good choice.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I thought Waqar had a quite average bouncer, Wasim with his quick arm was the difficult one also Donald could be a good choice.
Waqar at his peak, had a bouncer which mixed with usual full to the stumps bowling, was a very good surprise element in his bowling. I'd agree that there a lot of bowlers with consistently better bouncers though.

Himannv

International Coach
Since its a "battle", how about picking the batsmen as well? Which 4 players have you seen who can deal with bowling of this sort?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since its a "battle", how about picking the batsmen as well? Which 4 players have you seen who can deal with bowling of this sort?
Alan Lamb and Sunny Gavaskar must be on the list as they were about the only ones to take on the Windies side of the 70's and 80's and come out on top.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sunny Gavaskar
Len Hutton
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Gary Sobers

Would be a darn good post-war line-up against Bodyline IMO.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have not seen him but Viv Richards against Bodyline would have been quite something.

From players I have seen, Sehwag for similar reasons to Richards and Steve Waugh as well for very different reasons.

Himannv

International Coach
Not sure I'm all that convinced that some of the names mentioned would have performed that well. With consistent bowling at that sort of line and length and with leg slips, fine leg and deep square leg all in place, I'd say almost any shot would be a risk. I think Viv may be able to handle it and I somehow have a feeling that Lara and Tendulkar may be able to find a counter for it. Not so confident about any of the others.