Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarke retains T20 captaincy

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
    I'm not a Clarke fan but I'd like to see him given a chance to improve. There have been some other guys who were pigeonholed as ODI/Test batsmen only who have managed to find success in T20. The world cup might be the wake up call he needed.
    The difference between Clarke and the other cricketers who found a way to succeed in Twenty20 is that other cricketers did it through copious amounts of domestic and IPL cricket.

No indication that Clarke will ever play anymore Twenty20 cricket than the occasional international match every 3-4 months followed by a World Cup every 1-2 years, how a poor Twenty20 cricketer is to improve at international level is beyond me. I don't want a cricketer in the Australian side that is 'learning' the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
    I'm not a Clarke fan but I'd like to see him given a chance to improve. There have been some other guys who were pigeonholed as ODI/Test batsmen only who have managed to find success in T20. The world cup might be the wake up call he needed.

Haddin is a strange case for me, as from what I've seen hes a naturally attacking batsman. I would of thought T20 would suit him just fine.
    Yeah but he hardly gives himself a chance to do the same with his continued refusal of IPL and Big Bash.

TBF, the Big Bash isn't a "refusal", he's just never available during the Christmas/New Year period when they play the matches because of Test duties.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Jarrod Kimber is quite profound sometimes. Amongst the profanities, that is.

"It seems the main reason not to give White the role at this stage is that he might be good at it. That will make Clarke’s promotion harder to justify."

cricket with balls Andrew Hilditch is consistent - join sehwagology

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    A number of th comments in this thread are interesting given Australia just made the final of the WC in this format. From reading them you'd think we'd been KO'ed in the first round.

FWIW I think they're just happy to let him go because they're grooming him for the test captaincy. Personally don't agree with Kimber - if White proves a good T20 captain, I fail to see how this would in anyway compromise Clarke's elevation to test skipper - if that's what he's saying.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Saying that about White is like saying Kieswetter should open in tests for England because he did well in T20.Strange.

Everyone knows Clarke will be the next Aussie test captain (providing he has no silly Warnelike indescretions beforehand) once Ponting retires.The only debate really is whether it will be after the World Cup or later down the line.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Saying that about White is like saying Kieswetter should open in tests for England because he did well in T20.Strange.

Everyone knows Clarke will be the next Aussie test captain (providing he has no silly Warnelike indescretions beforehand) once Ponting retires.The only debate really is whether it will be after the World Cup or later down the line.
    This

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Clarke is now officially the first Oz captain of any team for god knows how long who isnt good enough to make the x1
    Think most people who saw Taylor from 1995-97 (excluding his immediate family and therapist) would take you up on that.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information