• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

400 Test wickets

Will there ever be another bowler to take 400 Test match wickets.

• Total voters

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Harbhajan will be 30 in July and he still requires 45 more wickets for the magic number. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If he stays fit, given his age and the amount of tests we play, I reckon Broad could be our first member of the 400 club.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steyn in with a chance as well, obviously will depend on injuries and what happens when his pace declines but his strike rate is so ridiculous that I would certainly not rule him out.

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Makhaya Ntini needs 10 wickets to join the 400 club, but i dont think that will happen, the South African selectors have basically signed his international career off.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Kaneria with an outside chance too. (Not yet 30, spinner, on ~ 250 and seems like he has just revived his test career).

Jayzamann

International Regular
Steyn in with a chance as well, obviously will depend on injuries and what happens when his pace declines but his strike rate is so ridiculous that I would certainly not rule him out.
Nearly at 200 and barely 40 tests played. I like to think we still haven't seen the best of the Steyn train :happy:

Simple answer to the question is yes. The amount of tests played these days between the top countries definitely permits it, and isn't just for those who clean up all the time.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Suppose the question is will another fast bowler take 400 test wickets, or, someone making his debut now (or recently) reach take 400 wickets due to the decline of the importance of tests?

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
If he stays fit, given his age and the amount of tests we play, I reckon Broad could be our first member of the 400 club.
Its pretty much a given that a fast bowler these days will suffer a major injury sometime during his career.

If Broad can recover well from his inevitable injury ... be England's first member of the 400 club.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mathews will not only reach 400, but get over 500 wickets. He will also reach 10,000 runs. In 10 years they will all be saying Sobers who...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews will not only reach 400, but get over 500 wickets. He will also reach 10,000 runs. In 10 years they will all be saying Sobers who...
400 wickets is asking for too much IMO. I would settle for 7,500 runs at 45 - 50 and 200 wickets at 35 from him.