• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

400 Test wickets

Will there ever be another bowler to take 400 Test match wickets.

• Total voters

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Wouldn't be surprised to see Midge take 400, if he can remodel his action in his twilight years ala Big Courtneh. Seems to get most of his wickets through awkward angles which cause edges, which McGrath shows is a fairly timeless tactic. Obviously not exclusively - given that most of his fatter hauls have come through wicked swing and rhythm (see SA 2008-09) - but when he's just going through the motions that angle is mostly what he relies on.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will be amazed if Asif manages over 50 Tests myself. Just constantly in self-destruct mode.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't be surprised to see Midge take 400, if he can remodel his action in his twilight years ala Big Courtneh. Seems to get most of his wickets through awkward angles which cause edges, which McGrath shows is a fairly timeless tactic. Obviously not exclusively - given that most of his fatter hauls have come through wicked swing and rhythm (see SA 2008-09) - but when he's just going through the motions that angle is mostly what he relies on.
Hmm...deffo has the talent but he's 28 and a half and might not play as long as someone like McGrath and Ambrose.

Anyway, there might be someone who takes 400 wickets who's no-one's ever heard of....someone who might not even be born yet.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Xuhaib's post and all posts quoting his post have been deleted.

Don't make statements like this that can't be proved, and have the potential to cause trouble for the site.

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't know why everyone is assuming the number of Tests is going to be reduced. Only country I can see trying to reduce number of tests played at the moment is India and even they are rethinking that strategy.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
India isn't, and hasn't for a long time if ever, tried to reduce the number of Tests played. They're trying to increase the number of Tests played.

Mathews will not only reach 400, but get over 500 wickets. He will also reach 10,000 runs. In 10 years they will all be saying Sobers who...
Majority of cricket fans already say "Sobers Who?" but biased journalists like Sambit Pal would not listen to them and believe that only they can be right."Imran is a Pakistani,how can he be?".

Last edited:
The readers had Wasim at 3. I think that says it all really.
Its the opinion of thousands of cricket fans from all over the world.If u ignore it,means you belive that only u can be right.If u have to ignore,people's opinion,better not have the polls & gave your view straight on.Sambit Pal once again proved him to be a very biased writer there.Wasim has a similar case to Sobers in the regard that Sobers was a great batsman who could bowl whereas Wasim was a great bowler who could bowl.I would put neither of them in my top 5.

Sir Alex

Banned
I don't know why everyone is assuming the number of Tests is going to be reduced. Only country I can see trying to reduce number of tests played at the moment is India and even they are rethinking that strategy.
That's bull **** frankly.

On one hand you've New Zealand who is happy reducing test matches (Aus and Ban).

On the other you've India who:

1. Added one test more to originally planned 2 test series in NZ
2. Scheduled 2 test series vs SA out of FTP creating a precedent unheard of in recent times.
3. Has requested Australia to do a 2 test tour in Nov
4. Is in talks with SLC to schedule a 3 test series outside FTP

Yeah BCCI bashing is the in thing.

L Trumper

State Regular
No imo

Kallis is INDEED comparable to Sobers.
No, may be statistically. But did you ever see kallis dominating a test match with both and ball let alone a series? Sobers used to take series out on scruff of the neck. He is kinda larger than life personality. Kallis is just an accumulator a toned down, poor man's version of sir gary.

L Trumper

State Regular
Its the opinion of thousands of cricket fans from all over the world.If u ignore it,means you belive that only u can be right.If u have to ignore,people's opinion,better not have the polls & gave your view straight on.Sambit Pal once again proved him to be a very biased writer there.Wasim has a similar case to Sobers in the regard that Sobers was a great batsman who could bowl whereas Wasim was a great bowler who could bowl.I would put neither of them in my top 5.
No not really. The poll is completely skewed by pak, indian fans. Sobers not being in top 5 is your opinion. Imran ahead of Sobers I can understand, but Sobers not in top 5 is bs
in my opinion.

Sir Alex

Banned
No, may be statistically. But did you ever see kallis dominating a test match with both and ball let alone a series? Sobers used to take series out on scruff of the neck. He is kinda larger than life personality. Kallis is just an accumulator a toned down, poor man's version of sir gary.
Precisely. Sobers is a larger than life person, but that does not or should not make him automatically incomparable.