• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies A tour of England

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I'm very much looking forward to this as I will be watching at least one of the tour games. I expect Bravo, Edwards and Braithwaite to score heaps of runs (a long with Devon Smith who always dominates A tours, particularly English ones, before failing catastrophically at the highest level).

The squad:

Devon Smith (Captain), David Bernard (Vice Captain), Omar Phillips, Lionel Baker, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Odean Brown, Kirk Edwards, Andre Fletcher (wk), Justin Guillen, Imran Khan, Nelon Pascal, Gavin Tonge, Chadwick Walton (wk)

Note: Kieron Pollard and Nikita Miller will replace Justin Guillen and Odean Brown for the one-day section of the tour.

That squad would tend to suggest that Shillingford and Dowlin are about to get a Test call up.

Dowlin as a reserve opener/middle order batsman, Shillingford as the off spinner.

Last edited:

Beamer

Tour schedule:

4 day

June 5-7: vs Glamorgan at SWALEC

June 10-13: vs India A at Grace Road

June 17-20: vs India A at Whitgift School, Croydon

List A

June 23: vs Ireland at Belfast Stormont

June 25: vs Ireland at Belfast Stormont

Tri-nation One-Day Series

June 28: West Indies A vs India A at Northampton

June 29: West Indies A vs England Lions at Northampton

July 1: England Lions vs India A at Grace Road, Leicester

July 2: West Indies A vs India A at Grace Road, Leicester

July 4: West Indies A vs England Lions at New Road, Worcester

July 6: England Lions vs India A at New Road, Worcester

July 8: FINAL at New Road, Leicester

(if West Indies A do not make final they will play against Lancashire at Old Trafford)

shivfan

Banned
Yes, remember how well Devon announced himself on that previous A team tour of England?

Ah, well....

Dowlin and Shilly might not get into the starting XI for the main WI side, but they're certain to be in the squad, I'd think. Also, Brendan Nash is currently touring Bangladesh with the A team, and he's also been omitted from the A team tour of England. So, obviously, he's likely to be in the WI Test squad too....

I like the selections of Darren Bravo and Kraigg Brathwaite. They will learn more from playing for the A team in English conditions than from a premature call into the Test team to face the likes of Steyn and co in Caribbean conditions.

The two Bajan Jasons have been omitted - Holder and Haynes.

Beamer

I'm not sure why Holder won't be going but Haynes simply isn't good enough and shouldn't have been on any A team in the first place.

Beamer

Glamorgan 121/5 now

Baker 2/16
Brown 2/48
Tonge 1/35

Khan hasn't bowled yet but I'm expecting a big tour from him after the disspaointing 4 day matches in Bangladesh.

I wonder who will be replacing Darren Bravo and Nelon Pascal?

shivfan

Banned
I see where Assad Fudadin has been called up, and is actually playing in this match....

When Barath and/or Sarwan get fit again, I really hope Darren Bravo rejoins this A team tour. As our guys are finding out, it's difficult batting in England when the conditions are humid, and it offers assistance to the seaming and swinging ball. Our guys like to stay rooted in the crease, but you have to move your feet when you're batting in England.

A useful 99 from Brown took Glamorgan to 261, with Odean Brown taking a five-fer, three wickets for Tonge, and two for Baker. But Smith and Guillen both went cheaply. It's going to be even more difficult for Phillips and Fletcher when they resume tomorrow on 11-2, in conditions that will be humid, dark and rainy. Then, they will see the English ball doing tricks!
:cool:

Howsie

International Captain
Gayle and co must get the chop, the 100's of talented West Indies youngsters coming through are all much better................

Beamer

There is only one 'talented youngster' that WW and I talk about who is playing on this tour and he is not playing in this match.

Laugh all you want but in fairness the selectors have done a terrible job with this tour, particularly when it comes to replacing Dowlin and Bravo. Justin Guillen completely failed in Bangladesh and yet he finds himself playing in completely bowler friendly conditions? Why on earth isn't Braithwaite playing? IMHO he should play every match on this tour. Guillen is nowhere near his class.

Also Fudadin has never even come close to impressing at FC level and yet he is playing for West Indies A? WTF is up with that?

We had Glamorgan in a similar position and let them off the hook so let's wait and see what happens.

shivfan

Banned
Quite simply, our leaden-footed youngsters just can't cope with the moving ball in England. This is hopefully a good learning experience for them....

This is why I would've liked to see Darren Bravo on this tour. He would've learnt a lot from playing in seaming, swinging conditions in England with this A team. I'm not sure how much he's going to learn by being on a Test team that will get thrashed by SOuth Africa's pace attack of Steyn and co.

Beamer, out of interest, who would you have picked for this tour instead of Fudadin and Guillen? To be fair to Brathwaite, I'm sure he'll play in the next match....

Last edited:

Beamer

Quite frankly Mike there are loads of superior candidates to Fudadin. They made a concious decision to hold some players like Andre Creary back and place them in the academy, but quite frankly I would prefer to have seen him on this tour instead of Fudadin as Creary has a rock solid technique.

I can understand why they chose Guillen for the Bangladesh segment as he did reasonably well in the FC competition but having failed so spectacularly there I thought they would have seen fit to try someone else or maybe even one more experienced head like Morton of Hinds.

You know I have faith in the youngsters and love to see them playing A team tours but they either have to be exceptional to get chances without much experience (e.g Braithwaite) or exceptionally talented with a pretty decent FC record (Bravo). Guillen and Fudadin have neither of those attributes.

Playing Guillen and Fudadin in these conditions is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Beamer

We've avoided the follow on thanks to a partnership of 68 between Imran Khan and Chadwick Walton. Unfortunately they are now into the tail with the dismissal of Khan.

Beamer

We were bundled out for 151 and Glamorgan are now 27/4.

Bowler friendly conditions anyone?

NasserFan207

Is there a reason why Holder hasn't been picked for this tour?

He'd be devastating in English conditions imo.

Beamer

Is there a reason why Holder hasn't been picked for this tour?

He'd be devastating in English conditions imo.
I agree he would be awesome in England just like he was in NZ. He has been sent to the academy instead of the A team tour. I can only assume this is because they feel he isn't ready for A team cricket quite yet whereas they think Braithwaite is nearly there already.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
There is only one 'talented youngster' that WW and I talk about who is playing on this tour and he is not playing in this match.

Laugh all you want but in fairness the selectors have done a terrible job with this tour, particularly when it comes to replacing Dowlin and Bravo. Justin Guillen completely failed in Bangladesh and yet he finds himself playing in completely bowler friendly conditions? Why on earth isn't Braithwaite playing? IMHO he should play every match on this tour. Guillen is nowhere near his class.

Also Fudadin has never even come close to impressing at FC level and yet he is playing for West Indies A? WTF is up with that?

We had Glamorgan in a similar position and let them off the hook so let's wait and see what happens.
Exactly Beamer, people are laughing when half of this side is effetively a second string A-team with NOT ONE of our talented youngsters in the current side at the moment, no Brathwaite (yet), no Darren Bravo, no Chesney Hughes, no Kieran Powell, no Jason Holder, no Akeem Dewar, no Yannic Cariah (who took a wicket for Trinidad against South Africa yesterday), no Shannon Gabriel, no Andre Russell (yet), no Delorn Johnson, no Jahmar Hamilton, no Kyle Corbin etc, no Kavesh Kantsingh i could go on and on,

How on earth Brathwaite didn't start the game is beyond me!!, wtf are they thinking about? 8-) he's pretty much the best talent we have out of all the youngsters so i'm finding that decision hard to comprehend, the only excuse i can think of is that they are saving him for the India game and giving Gullien one last chance? they need sacking if he doesn't line up against India, they really do,

Happy with the bowling performances, Brown is continuing his good form and Khan really put them under the cosh yesterday, hopefully he'll start to show his true form now, also delighted to see Walton is still getting runs, he's already good enough with the gloves so the more he proves himself with the bat the better his chances of a senior call up will be.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I agree he would be awesome in England just like he was in NZ. He has been sent to the academy instead of the A team tour. I can only assume this is because they feel he isn't ready for A team cricket quite yet whereas they think Braithwaite is nearly there already.
The Holder decision is pure madness imo but to be fair none of the players who got called up for the Academy made the A-team, even though both Gabriel and Holder done very well against Zimbabwe for the A-team already, i guess they wanted to give Tong and Baker more experience before turning to the younger players, especially when we play two spinners in the side right now, Jason will be a monster for us in due course though, he's the most exciting bowler i've seen for a while, Andre Russell has been called up though so he's certainly one to look out for.