• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies A tour of England

shivfan

Banned
To be fair, anyone in the A team should've played a full season in the recently-concluded four-day domestic competition, and I don't think any of the names you've mentioned above have done so, Windie....

Only Brathwaite has made it as an inspirational selection, but you can't pack the A team with those kind of picks. The A team MUST come from the four-day domestic comp.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
To be fair, anyone in the A team should've played a full season in the recently-concluded four-day domestic competition, and I don't think any of the names you've mentioned above have done so, Windie....

Only Brathwaite has made it as an inspirational selection, but you can't pack the A team with those kind of picks. The A team MUST come from the four-day domestic comp.
You're actually wrong Mike, Kieran Powell, Kyle Corbin, Jahmar Hamilton and certainly Kavesh Kantasingh played most if not all of the games, granted Gabriel, Johnson and Russell played in the last few FC games but Russell, Dewar, Gabriel and Holder have impressed during the summer for the A-team and Jamaica respectively, THEY ARE PLAYERS IN FORM, Gullien played the whole FC season but what good has that done him? :unsure: i'd rather focus on the talent rather than the amount of games they've played Mike.

shivfan

Banned
You're actually wrong Mike, Kieran Powell, Kyle Corbin, Jahmar Hamilton and certainly Kavesh Kantasingh played most if not all of the games, granted Gabriel, Johnson and Russell played in the last few FC games but Russell, Dewar, Gabriel and Holder have impressed during the summer for the A-team and Jamaica respectively, THEY ARE PLAYERS IN FORM, Gullien played the whole FC season but what good has that done him? :unsure: i'd rather focus on the talent rather than the amount of games they've played Mike.
Let's look at those players you mentioned....

1) Powell did poorly in the four-day domestic comp, averaging 24, wasn't it? So why do you think he would do better than Guillen? I think it's a good idea to put him in the Academy, where his weaknesses can be identified, and worked on.

2) Corbin did little better, averaging 29. Again, he's in the right place, the Academy, where they can work on his weaknesses.

3) Kantasingh is a spinner, and they're not the problems on tour. Shilly did well in Bangladesh, and look where he is now. Brown is now doing well in England. However, it's crucial to remember that in England what we need is pacers, not spinners, because of the pitches there. Again, I think it's the right decision to work on improving him in the Academy.

4) Hamilton is a keeper, and we already have Walton there, who's doing well with both gloves and bat, from reports. Again, that's not the problem with our side. In any case, Hamilton only played three matches in this four-day comp....

5) Russel is there now, isn't he? Belatedly, but it's good to see him there.

6) I agree with you that Gabriel should be there.

7) Holder is still young, and hasn't played much FC cricket. I think it's a good idea to work on him in the Academy. In any case, our bowling in Glamorgan has been good, hasn't it? Our problem is with the batting....

IMHO, the A team has to be selected from the leading performers in the four-day domestic comp, because that's what it's there for. You can only make the occasional inspired choice, like Brathwaite and Russell, but you can't pack your team with them. Maybe Beamer is right - you probably need a couple of experienced heads there, like Morton or Hinds.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How good is the academy actually? Will skills really be improved to a point that its far more beneficial than overseas experience

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Let's look at those players you mentioned....

1) Powell did poorly in the four-day domestic comp, averaging 24, wasn't it? So why do you think he would do better than Guillen? I think it's a good idea to put him in the Academy, where his weaknesses can be identified, and worked on.

2) Corbin did little better, averaging 29. Again, he's in the right place, the Academy, where they can work on his weaknesses.

3) Kantasingh is a spinner, and they're not the problems on tour. Shilly did well in Bangladesh, and look where he is now. Brown is now doing well in England. However, it's crucial to remember that in England what we need is pacers, not spinners, because of the pitches there. Again, I think it's the right decision to work on improving him in the Academy.

4) Hamilton is a keeper, and we already have Walton there, who's doing well with both gloves and bat, from reports. Again, that's not the problem with our side. In any case, Hamilton only played three matches in this four-day comp....

5) Russel is there now, isn't he? Belatedly, but it's good to see him there.

6) I agree with you that Gabriel should be there.

7) Holder is still young, and hasn't played much FC cricket. I think it's a good idea to work on him in the Academy. In any case, our bowling in Glamorgan has been good, hasn't it? Our problem is with the batting....

IMHO, the A team has to be selected from the leading performers in the four-day domestic comp, because that's what it's there for. You can only make the occasional inspired choice, like Brathwaite and Russell, but you can't pack your team with them. Maybe Beamer is right - you probably need a couple of experienced heads there, like Morton or Hinds.
You belittled their number of appearances in the last FC season so i just set the record straight Mike!! :laugh: , with Powell already playing for WI i would have thought him getting more experience with the A-team would have been good, the coaches clearly rate him, he just needs more experience at that level imo, and if we're going by your logic Kantasingh should be in the A-team ahead of Brown because he was the better bowler last season,

Wasting spots on the likes of Morton and Hinds would be an absolute joke, Haynes done well last year and got a shot in the A-team against Zim and he got found out, i also don't think Brathwaite's call up was "inspired" at all, he's clearly the best talent we have coming through so it would be foolish not to pick him, if he does well here then he'll be knocking on the seniors door, i have no doubts at all about that.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
How good is the academy actually? Will skills really be improved to a point that its far more beneficial than overseas experience
The academy will be run by ex Middlesex coach Toby Radford who apparently done a great job with their youngsters, bringing through the likes of Steven Finn and Ogin Morgan, here's a little story about it HERE , the Academy players have already been named and it features players such as Jason Holder, Shannon Gabriel, Kieran Powell, Kyle Corbin, Brandan Bess, V Permaul, Devon Thomas, Delorn Johnson, Shane Dowrich etc, and it's said that they will play as a team in our four day regional competition, more details and the full squad of players can be found HERE

The WICB claim the Academy's purpose is to...

1. To enable the 19-23 age-group of West Indian players to develop in a systematic and structured way, using cutting edge techniques and strategies;

2. To allow developing West Indian players an opportunity to develop their talent;

3. To expose developing players to an international training and coaching environment implemented through a two-year programme.
I think it's a massive step in the right direction and i'm confident it will bear fruit.

shivfan

Banned
No play so far due to rain....

Given the weather report, we will be lucky to get any play at all on today's final day.

shivfan

Banned
The only batsmen to come out of this tour with any credit, in the longer version of the game, are Devon Smith (170 runs @ 60) and Andre Fletcher (123 @ 45).

It was better news for the bowlers....

Russell 11 wkts @ 18
Tonge 9 wkts @ 35
Baker 8 wkts @ 30
Brown 5 wkts @ 24

shivfan

Banned
2.2 overs, 8-0

Smith 3* Phillips 4*

To bat ADS Fletcher, KA Edwards, AB Fudadin, CAK Walton†, AD Russell, A Martin, GC Tonge, DE Bernard, KA Stoute

Ireland team
PR Stirling, RD McCann, AR Cusack, GC Wilson†, KJ O'Brien*, AR White, AD Poynter, JF Mooney, A van der Merwe, NG Jones, PS Eaglestone

8-1 now....

DS Smith c Mooney b Eaglestone 3 (11b 0x4 0x6) SR: 27.27

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Braith dropped again?
I'm not sure they want him playing the shorter form of the game right now!!, it was the same when the A-team played Zimbabwe eariler this year, he played the three day game against them and done well but didn't play in the shorter games.

shivfan

Banned
Barath is not fit to play proper cricket right now, like Sarwan and Taylor....

Interestingly, Russell continues to do well, performing well with bat and ball in the first one-dayer against Ireland, while in the second one, Bernard and Imran shared the wickets, and Smith and Fletcher made the runs.

shivfan

Banned
Fortuantely, experienced players Smith and Fletcher hit big scores in their thumping of India in yesterday's one-dayer....

Good to see Bernard taking three wickets too.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a lower scoring game today at Northampton, WI A are 72/3 after 24.2 overs.

Did someone pull out at the last moment because 34yo Darren Stevens is playing for England A???

Cook*
Davies+
Trott
Bell
Bopara
Gale
Stevens
Tredwell
Shazad
Woakes
Mahmood

deeper batting than the senior ODI side

Edit: apparently he was supposed to be in the squad, but Shazad and Bell weren't...and James Taylor was supposed to be in it but is playing CC for Leics also Plunkett and Trego supposed to be part of a 12 man squad but neither playing.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Ouch! This is a good Lions side....

Cook, Trott, Bell, Bopara, Shahzad, Mahmood....

In that context, Edwards's 61 not out is a good knock.

125-3 after 33 overs.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Much of a rap for Kirk Edwards? doesn't have much of a record but going ok today?

Must say the WI A top 5 all don't have good List A records. The bowling looks pretty strong though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shahzad doing very well. Stevens getting some stick.
Here's hoping Davies gets some runs.

shivfan

Banned
Much of a rap for Kirk Edwards? doesn't have much of a record but going ok today?

Must say the WI A top 5 all don't have good List A records. The bowling looks pretty strong though.
Fudadin's out for 51, but I'm pleasantly surprised at this innings by Edwards. He usually has trouble converting 50s into 100s.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i noticed he only had one List A 50 before today (and that was exaclty 50) and averaged 22 so he must get a lot of scores between 25-50